Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 11th October 2006, 10:48   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Help : How to read an OHC fuel gauge?

Fellows

Its been a week and a half since I'm driving my OHC. My car is giving me an FE of 10-11 kmpl with full AC. I just need some help on reading the fuel gauge.

Right now the guage reads just a bit above 'E'. Tentitively how much more fuel will be there and how many kms can I go on before I need to fill up.

Would appreciate inputs from fellow OHC owners from our forum.

Thanks
Dippy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2006, 11:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

Well this is something that only experience can tell you. You can do a simple test. Check what the capacity of the fuel tank in the manual and now that it is at the almost empty level fill it up completely with fuel. So you will get an approximate idea as to how much fuel was ther in the tank when you topped up. This should solve your problem. Also once you know how much fuel there is in the tank then you can approximate how much more it will go before fillup.
vikram_d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2006, 12:33   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thanks vikram. Just needed a few more inputs as to how the long other bhpians who own OHCs have stretched their cars from the just above 'E' position before filling up
Old 11th October 2006, 12:37   #4
BHPian

just a clarification..
i think there will be a fuel light glowing when the fuel gauge crosses 'E' position.. and in vehical manual one can find out for how much fuel the fuel low indicator will glow..
Mr.Bangalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2006, 12:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

are you sure the OHC has a low fuel indicator? I some how couldnt see one on the instrument cluster
Old 11th October 2006, 12:53   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy
Thanks vikram. Just needed a few more inputs as to how the long other bhpians who own OHCs have stretched their cars from the just above 'E' position before filling up

Hey,

I did not expect this from you Dippy being such a old member. Why the hell do you want to take the car to empty. It is the worst practice. As a thumb rule you should never let your car go below qtr mark. Will save you a lot of long term problems by taking it to empty mark such as dirt entering fuel lines/injectors, and fuel pump failure.

Viper
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2006, 13:03   #7
elf
BANNED

Whatever you do, avoid letting your car run dry - don't need to tell you about the hassles of running outta gas in a fuel injected car.

I generally tank up again when I hit the halfway mark.
elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2006, 13:14   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Why the hell do you want to take the car to empty. It is the worst practice.
True, definatly something that does not need to be done.

However, I would always like to know how accurate my gauge is, and how far I can stretch one tankful. You never know when this can come in use. Especially when on a bike!
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2006, 13:46   #9
Senior - BHPian

Viper I never let my car go empty. Its just not my thing. Its just reached above E when I got to work. Will be filling up first thing I leave work this evening. I just needed to know how accurate the fuel guage reading is in an OHC

Thanks for the info
Old 11th October 2006, 14:16   #10
Senior - BHPian

The OHC has about 5 litres of petrol left when it's just above the E mark. So about 50kms more can be expected but I would suggest you to not take the risk as pushing a car even as light as the OHC is a hard task. Don't ask how I discovered this

Also the OHC has one peculiarity - an over sensitie fuel gauge. So if you park it with the left wheels higher than the right ones within a few minutes it'll show you that it's tank is full even though it might be near E & vice-versa. Similar things also happen when the car is parked on an incline even a slight one!! The best way to see the accurate amount of fuel in the car is to check it after dirving for a few minutes on a level road which is the time the gauge is most accurate. Also if you are driving on mountains/inclines the gauge fluctuates with the conditions so take a good look at the fuel condition before setting off.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2006, 14:27   #11
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the reply iraghava

I cant really take risk of going 50 more kms with the needle above E . I also agree with your views on the fluctuating fuel guage. Honda has mentioned it in the user manual as well. I have observed in my week of driving that the slightest incline makes a difference to the needle

Thanks for the figures on the reserve capacity as well

Cheers

P.S I remember Shantanu mentioning driving his Vtec for a long time even after his needle hit E . Now thats really something
Old 11th October 2006, 14:34   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy
P.S I remember Shantanu mentioning driving his Vtec for a long time even after his needle hit E . Now thats really something
going by Ishan's logic, perhaps his right wheels were higher than the left, maybe the road was so inclined ...(just kidding )
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2006, 14:34   #13
Team-BHP Support

old 1.3 i have ran more than 60 km from E mark and needle went to minus the E mark, was an un avoidable situation

Last edited by Jaggu : 11th October 2006 at 14:45.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2006, 14:48   #14
Team-BHP Support

while on the topic that car had a wierd problem, while stopped at trafic signal with park lights on and ignition is aux position the fuel guage used to rise slowly sometimes over a long period even to full, honda had some major gizmo to absorb fuel vapour and fill tank, but once you crank engine the needle used to go normal level, bloody fuel burner of a car or what he he
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2006, 15:03   #15
Senior - BHPian

well my OHC goes to about a mm below the red-mark. that's happened on a coupla occassions.

and fyi, there is no light in the OHC that indicates reserve.
manveet is offline   Reply With Quote