Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2016, 15:22   #31
Distinguished - BHPian
 
SS-Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 6,709
Thanked: 11,590 Times
Default Re: Inside the Raaj Unocal Lubricants factory (Faridabad), used oil analysis & an interview

Quote:
Originally Posted by cijo View Post
After seeing the pictures of the QA QC department , I think one should avoid this brand if there is another option. At least they should have labelled the devices properly than using "Muffle Furnance" , "Carbon Rasidue" etc. The factory is not clean or all the oil lubricant companies work this way ?
Going by spelling or typographical errors being the golden standard for quality, there aren't any authorized service centres in this country that one ought to take one's car in for servicing. Thankfully, I depend on the technical knowledge and expertise of the person(s) concerned rather than their prowess in the English language, grammar and spelling.

As to the cleanliness, I had already clarified earlier:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Not brightly lit, not well-organised, but seemed clean and dust-free. I suppose the haphazard state of things was due to it being a Saturday, with skeleton staff present.
SS-Traveller is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2016, 19:50   #32
Senior - BHPian
 
greenhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: CT
Posts: 6,951
Thanked: 1,509 Times
Default Re: Inside the Raaj Unocal Lubricants factory (Faridabad), used oil analysis & an interview

unocal seems to be available on amazon now - seems they are trying out new ideas to develop business, but their pricing is merely competitive, so i wonder if the product is that much better - has anyone tried out their oils?

also, they seem to have the same brand, same rating oil but seperate packages for cars, buses & trucks (but similar pack sizes). Wonder what's the difference
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2016, 07:17   #33
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,199
Thanked: 2,614 Times
Default Re: Inside the Raaj Unocal Lubricants factory (Faridabad), used oil analysis & an interview

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Going by spelling or typographical errors being the golden standard for quality, there aren't any authorized service centres in this country that one ought to take one's car in for servicing. Thankfully, I depend on the technical knowledge and expertise of the person(s) concerned rather than their prowess in the English language, grammar and spelling.

As to the cleanliness, I had already clarified earlier:
Any industrial environment is messy by default. It won't be shiny new like an IT major's office.

Any industrial environment that deals with oil and lubes will definitely have a stained and weather beaten appearance, can't help that either.

The factory is in quite good shape and you saw it as it normally appears, not as it is when it is dressed up to receive media / VIP guests.

That spelling is typical north indian and spelt as it is spoken. Funny but as you say, technical parameters are the same regardless of whether in hindi, perfect english or broken english.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2018, 20:33   #34
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: DL9C
Posts: 2,647
Thanked: 2,518 Times
Default Re: Inside the Raaj Unocal Lubricants factory (Faridabad), an UOA, and an interview with GM-Operatio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
.... on Mr. Ghatak's recommendation, had switched my Scorpio's engine oil to Unocal 76 Emera 15W-40, a CH4 grade diesel engine oil compatible with my engine.
Do you still use it? I am thinking of trying it out for my '13 Scorpio's next service (50k). Would you recommend it?
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2018, 21:35   #35
Distinguished - BHPian
 
SS-Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 6,709
Thanked: 11,590 Times
Default Re: Inside the Raaj Unocal Lubricants factory (Faridabad), an UOA, and an interview with GM-Operatio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Do you still use it? I am thinking of trying it out for my '13 Scorpio's next service (50k). Would you recommend it?
Have used both Emera 15w-40 CH4 and UnoFleeto Superior 15w-40 SL/CH4 oils from Unocal 76 in my Scorpio, and am happy with both. The UnoFleeto oil apparently has a longer drain interval, and I've used it for about 9500 km once before getting the UOA done - it still had borderline usable life left. The Emera IIRC was in the same condition at about 8500 km. Unocal 76 oils are available on Amazon.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2018, 09:00   #36
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,199
Thanked: 2,614 Times
Default Re: Inside the Raaj Unocal Lubricants factory (Faridabad), an UOA, and an interview with GM-Operatio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Do you still use it? I am thinking of trying it out for my '13 Scorpio's next service (50k). Would you recommend it?
The spec is reasonable.

There’s also Amsoil if you stick to 15w40 mineral oils. Sold by Greaves Cotton in India. And Shell Rimula 15w40

For fully synthetic get Mobil Delvac 1 5w40
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2018, 11:52   #37
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: DL9C
Posts: 2,647
Thanked: 2,518 Times
Default Re: Inside the Raaj Unocal Lubricants factory (Faridabad), an UOA, and an interview with GM-Operatio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Have used both Emera 15w-40 CH4 and UnoFleeto Superior 15w-40 SL/CH4 oils from Unocal 76 in my Scorpio, and am happy with both. The UnoFleeto oil apparently has a longer drain interval, and I've used it for about 9500 km once before getting the UOA done - it still had borderline usable life left. The Emera IIRC was in the same condition at about 8500 km. Unocal 76 oils are available on Amazon.
Thanks Doc! Will give Emera 15w40 a try and change after 7-8k of running. That would be sometime in 2019 going by my current usage pattern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
The spec is reasonable.

There’s also Amsoil if you stick to 15w40 mineral oils. Sold by Greaves Cotton in India. And Shell Rimula 15w40

For fully synthetic get Mobil Delvac 1 5w40
Will check them out!
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Used Oil Analysis in India greenhorn Technical Stuff 23 20th August 2017 03:37
Shell engine oils & automotive lubricants. Available online SS-Traveller Technical Stuff 32 1st March 2016 13:01
Shell Lubricants Launches Product PLUS Service Portfolio in India madhokritesh The Indian Car Scene 6 3rd December 2009 16:58


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:22.

Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks