Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 12th October 2006, 11:12   #1
Team-BHP Support

Default Lancer fuel gauge indicator

Guys seeing Dippy's thread on the OHC fuel gauge got me thinking about the lancer's fuel gauge.

In my car the low fuel light comes on and starts blinking when the needle is at the red indicator. I usually fill it up as soon as the light comes on.

The thing is when i fill it up it takes only about 38-40 litres till the brim. Do other lancer owners experience this?

The max i have filled is 42Litres. The manual says 50litres is the capacity.

Lancer owner's share your experience on this please.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2006, 11:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

Well you need to know that Lancer's reserve is pretty big. Usually this is how the Fuel-guage works.

at full it is slightly above the full line
IT falls slowly to half
It falls faster from Half to Red
It stays at red for a loooong time. It should be Around 8-10 when the fuel light comes up but I dontremember the exact figure.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2006, 11:20   #3
Team-BHP Support

yup devarshi spot on.

Thats exactly what i noticed it takes a long time to go till the quarter mark then slightly lesser time to half then it goes down quick to red and stays there for wuite some time.

Reserve looks like 8-10litres easily. Seems thats the way it's designed and its just not my car.cheers:
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2006, 11:32   #4
BHPian

afte the red light came on i've driven the car for a good 30 km or more(not sure)the needle went to the bottom of the red line , Not sure about this as well but i've been told that the lancer has 10 liters in reserve, the manual says 50 liter tank.
ancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2006, 11:39   #5
BHPian

yeah also i noticed when your red light comes on and if you fill 18 liters ( indian oil) the needle does not go to the exact spot it should be at shows arnd 11-12 liters
ancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2006, 15:25   #6
Team-BHP Support

Thumbs down Same prob with viva crdi

I have a same problem with my new viva crdi ( 45 litre tank capacity) and when i fill the tank after low fuel warning its taking in only 31-33 litres of fuel.....very misleading....i am gonna check it up during my first service due end of this month. Hope its nothing major....
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2006, 17:29   #7
elf
BANNED

I always gas up at half tank - i.e. when my needle gets to the halfway mark.
It takes in only 15-18 litres, so I guess you guys are right - was quite confused about it myself as the manual & website say 50 litres.

Last edited by elf : 14th October 2006 at 17:41.
elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2006, 20:49   #8
Senior - BHPian

my lancer usually goes through Full-empty cycle. I usually drive around 100-120 kms in red before getting the tank fuelled up. the car usually takes in upto 45-48 ltrs.

It gets more efficient when we know the cars average. My sfxi is stuck to 13-14i n the city with or without a/c and goes upto 15-16 on the highway. (TOuchwood)

so when the red light comes up the first time, we know that the car can now go for atleast 100kms in the city and 120+ on the highway.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2006, 11:31   #9
DRC
BHPian

Not Just Lancer or City, all fuel gauges behave the same way. It has got to do with the very basic way they finction. They are linear only near the half mark, and they are exponentially calibrated. If you get a change open the fuel gauge sender unit and have a look at the potentiometer. You will find closer wound nicrome wire near the empty end.
DRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2006, 20:38   #10
BHPian

the tank capacity of lancer is 50 Ltrs & fuel is reserve is good 7 Ltrs ..... in my lancer the low fuel light glows when the engine switched on & approx 9 - 10 Ltrs & then goes off in 30-secs .... but it glows continuesly when the fuel in the tank is approx 6 - 7 Ltrs... have driven my lancer diesel for 89 kms with low fuel light on...
Sivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 18:47   #11
BHPian

Default Question regarding fuel gauge indicator on NHC

Listing down my observation for past few months
1)As per my assumption, In most of the cases the Empty fuel light will turn on when the fuel gauge is on/ below the third line of the fuel indicator from left.

2)But now check this out
a. The fuel indicator is near/ below the third line and the car is running , but still the light is not on.
b.Now I shut down the engine park the vehicle ( till this time the light is off)
c.Next day morning , put the key in , and now look at the light
d.It is ON !!!

This has happened at least thrice. First I thought somebody is stealing the petrol etc , etc or the car is taken by some other family member. But NO , nothing sort of this.

During one time , after parking the car I just took out key , and inserted it again ( thinking sort of soft rebooting , will turn the light ON) but no. The was still off. And next day before starting the engine it was on.
Any comments?
hrishig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 19:08   #12
BHPian

i've noticed exactly the same. but i dont know why is it so? any reasons guys?
mdesai_1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 19:22   #13
Senior - BHPian

From what I've observed, the fuel gauge and the fuel warning light work independently. That is, the light isn't linked to the fuel gauge, but to some other sensor just for this purpose.

It is entirely possible for them to be out of sync.

Also, from the ownership thread of trrk (My new CVT - ownership experience), the NHC fuel gauge is very non-linear, so these kind of idiosyncrasies are to be expected.

I've had this happen to my Civic twice. Parked the car overnight in a low fuel condition, no warning light. Next day, turn the ignition and lo and behold!

I've read in the manual that changes in the fuel gauge are not real time and are delayed so sudden changes do not influence it. Maybe this is also a factor.
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 21:36   #14
BHPian

Or may be because of temperature? When you shutoff the engine the temperature was more , while in the morning the temprature will be less.

So this might be triggering something. Don't know what.

Basically this means we can NOT calculate exact mileage of the car as there is a unknown variable parameter.
hrishig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 13:14   #15
Senior - BHPian

You can calculate it pretty easily and accurately.

Tank up to full cut off, reset trip meter, drive around, tank up again to cut off. Find out how much fuel went in and divide the trip meter figure with this number to get a mileage figure. Fill from the same pump and same vending machine for both fills and you should get a figure that's about as accurate as possible.
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote