Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 3rd October 2016, 15:30   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Tyre life: Monocoque vs ladder-on-frame cars

Shocking. What kind of figures are people here talking about?

No tyre in any car of mine has ever lasted me more than 50000 kms. Be it the Innova, the Fiesta, the Figo or even the Zen D and Indicas that I had earlier. I have got a max 48000 kms on the Innova running bridgestones (Now running Michlin XM2). And on every other car the max I have been able to eke out is around 40000 kms.

In fact, I have been able to finish off a set of Pirellis on my Zen D in around 14000 kms (This was back in 2007).

I am definitely doing something wrong and I really can't figure out what.
speedmunster is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2016, 15:41   #17
BHPian

I would keep it simple, what is the cost of replacement of 4 tyres in a sedan / hatchback vis--vis SUV.

Say for 100k I might have consumed 2 sets in a sedan / hatch while in a properly driven SUV I may have continued with the initial set of tyres. If I estimate the costing aspect, cost of 2 sedan / hatch tyres would be same as that of a 18" SUV tyre. Even if I assume everything else to be constant what am I getting in SUV tyres for double the price of a 14" or 15" car tyre?

- Larger circumference thereby less number of rotation for same amount of distance travelled
- Wider tyre for better load carrying capacity and weight distribution
- Less wear and tear due to steering and traction on different wheels (rear wheel drive SUVs) keeping 4 x 4 out of discussion here

Few more factors with notional impact; all this adds to additional life of tyres.

I have done some back of envelope estimates - the standard wear and tear estimates at INR 0.30 to 0.40 per km for almost all 4 wheelers (unless you go for very high end tyres of premium German sedans)

Last edited by i74js : 3rd October 2016 at 15:44.
i74js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2016, 16:25   #18
BHPian

Very interesting observation and topic. I am no tech expert here but believe that major contributors to this is certainly the better or more robust tyre construction and followed by better driving styles on an SUV vs a hatch. Since I own an XUV, my other car figo almost seems like a sports car in comparison. Driving styles on XUV is very smooth given the low end torque and on Figo it transforms to harder acceleration and higher rpm gear changes with turbo spooling lil bit later, which my wife complains about since its her car .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Am clueless on what kms does the XUV tires last.
I am at around 14K on my XUV but folks on the forum had done 60K + on XUV with bridgestones easily.
supertinu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2016, 21:15   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
I am at around 14K on my XUV but folks on the forum had done 60K + on XUV with bridgestones easily.
Thats Correct, XUV, despite being a monocoque, is no different from other SUVs with respect to tyre life. I know my own & several other XUVs doing 70000 Kms on OE tires irrespective of the brand, which goes to show that Monocoque or ladder-on-frame structure do not matter as long as its running SUV grade tires.
Numb_Locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2016, 21:22   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

XUV is essentially a front-wheel-drive vehicle. Nothing to do with being a monocoque chassis.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2016, 21:25   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
XUV is essentially a front-wheel-drive vehicle. Nothing to do with being a monocoque chassis.
But it also has a monocoque chassis.

Last edited by ajayclicks : 3rd October 2016 at 21:33.
ajayclicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2016, 23:27   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Yea not sure if there is any monocoque vs ladder on frame angle here. Infact on XUV despite its weight + front wheel drive + larger brakes on front wheel still gives much longer tyre life vs a front wheel hatch. So construction of tyres certainly plays a bigger role.
supertinu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2016, 10:41   #23
Team-BHP Support

The top reason for long tyre life in SUV's is tyre compound in SUV tyres. Almost all SUV's Monocoques or Chassis based have a much longer tyre life compared to cars which use Car tyres.

In my XUV I changed the OE set of Tyres at 65k, the tyres still had life left in them, if I were to use them further I could have managed another 20k kms with ease. And life for this pair was not easy either, they have had multiple torturous trips to Ladakh, Zanskar, Spiti... apart from local torture in rough.

If I compare this to sedans or hatchbacks I have owned, these cars have similar tyre wear by 30-35k kms.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2016, 10:41   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
Slowjet, running a car on tyres 8 year old.
Dear friend, tyres are the most important item on a car when it comes to safety. Your life is much more valuable and never take the risk of driving a car with shoes more than 5 years old. Even if the the mileage derived from the tyre is less, DO REPLACE once the tyre is 5 year old. Not worth taking the risk of life for few thousand rupees.
Old tyres are perfectly safe as long as
. The compound is still soft. I remember my Ambassador's tyres getting hard within two years and started cracking in four. Modern compounds are much better and do not deteriorate as fast. Hard compound affects braking.

. The tread depth is more than 3mm. This depth is required for wet performance. With too little depth the vehicle may skid on wet surface.

. There are no cuts and nicks in the sidewalls. If there are, the tyre may leak and at times burst if vehicle is driven very fast on highways - the tyre heats up on long drives at high speeds.

In general there is no hard and fast rule for changing tyres based on time of distance. The only criteria is the condition of the tyres. Older compounds had a tendency to deteriorate pretty fast when exposed to sun, but modern compounds with synthetic rubber resist UV degradation much better.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2016, 11:23   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Old tyres are perfectly safe as long as
. The compound is still soft.

In general there is no hard and fast rule for changing tyres based on time of distance. The only criteria is the condition of the tyres.
Agree to most of the points. But, the risk of failure is much more in +5 year old tyre if driven at high speed. The prediction of this kind of failure is beyond the visual inspection.

And situations may warrant high speed running which we may not be able to foresee. Also, the risk of failure is manyfold for an older tyre if happen to be driven in under inflated condition.

So, as a safety measure, it's always better to replace the tyres after 5 Years. I'm not saying this as a hard and fast rule. It is highly advisable.

Can refer the following article from Bridgestone. This just a reference only.

http://www.bridgestone.com.au/tyres/.../care/age.aspx

Last edited by Sree73 : 4th October 2016 at 11:50.
Sree73 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2016, 12:12   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
Agree to most of the points. But, the risk of failure is much more in +5 year old tyre if driven at high speed. The prediction of this kind of failure is beyond the visual inspection.

And situations may warrant high speed running which we may not be able to foresee.

So, as a safety measure, it's always better to replace the tyres after 5 Years. I'm not saying this as a hard and fast rule. It is highly advisable.
Well said. Of late ( last one week) read newspaper reports of at least four major accidents of vehicle going out control due to tyre burst on the highways with a total of 15 precious lives lost. It included my friend's son doing his MBBS final year, along with three more doctors, in the prime of their life, driving a Volkswagen polo on ECR road Sad that many people in this thread have even boasted of 1,00,000 km with their tyres. I feel they are lucky to be alive driving around in those tyres. The tyre may look fine but are extremely susceptible to blow out under high speeds when going over sharp objects which includes small stones too ( our Indian highways are littered with these). So buddies please change your tyres at least around the 50k mark or 5 yrs., whichever is earlier and save precious lives. You may find this link informative http://www.checkthatcar.com/tyres/Ty...%20Factors.asp

Last edited by vipinendran : 4th October 2016 at 12:14. Reason: Spacing/spell check
vipinendran is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2016, 16:43   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmunster View Post
No tyre in any car of mine has ever lasted me more than 50000 kms. Be it the Innova, the Fiesta, the Figo or even the Zen D and Indicas that I had earlier. I have got a max 48000 kms on the Innova running bridgestones (Now running Michlin XM2).
My Innova running on Yoko C Drives (225 60/R15) at 70K km now. Still good for another 10K. I know of my colleague's Innova completed 65K km on stock Bridgestones.

Santro Bridgestones ran for 70K km (13 years, zero punctures) and recently replaced with Yoko Earth. I know 13 years is a bit dangerous, but then it was used only in the city at lower speeds in the last 6 years. Couple of tyres still had treads to last 5K km on them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipinendran View Post
The tyre may look fine but are extremely susceptible to blow out under high speeds when going over sharp objects which includes small stones too ( our Indian highways are littered with these). So buddies please change your tyres at least around the 50k mark or 5 yrs., whichever is earlier and save precious lives. You may find this link informative http://www.checkthatcar.com/tyres/Ty...%20Factors.asp
Thanks, looks like I need to change my Innova tyres soon! But I think as long as the rubber isn't hard (the Yoko C Drives are soft rubber), and no cracks, we can extend it by a year or so!

Last edited by ampere : 6th October 2016 at 08:59. Reason: Back to back posts merged
samm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2016, 21:36   #28
Senior - BHPian

My 2008 Safari 2.2 ran the factory Bridgestone Dueler HTs for 1 lakh city kilometres with even wear and still had a couple mm of usable tread depth before I chose to replace with new tyres due to age.
I would credit the life to the regular 5,000 km wheel alignment intervals and 10,000 km wheel balancings.
So, maintain the tyres well and they should serve you well.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2016, 03:17   #29
BHPian

Interesting discussion, I wonder if the running surface matters when it comes to tyre life.
Both my cars, XUV & Honda City managed to survive only 40K on OEM tires. Both of them had the same proportion of highway/city drives. Although the XUV took me to Ladakh on the stock Apollo tires.
I think the concrete surface is much harsher on the tires than normal tar roads. This might be another reason for different tread life for different drivers.

Last edited by msk016 : 5th October 2016 at 03:22.
msk016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2016, 08:46   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

adding to my prev post:
Quote:
- Bigger circumference
Like Parag has mentioned, this should not be the case. I had Yoko A-drives on my Ikon. When I sold the car @ 43k, there was at least half the tread still available. Most of the running was in city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmunster View Post
I am definitely doing something wrong and I really can't figure out what.
One question - How is your braking style ? When you come to a stop at a signal, do you "coast to a stop" (permissible pace), or does the front dip at the final moment ?

Hard braking causes more friction & hence uses a little more rubber. This keeps adding up, to show the difference in how long the tyres last.

Last edited by condor : 5th October 2016 at 08:50.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote