Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 24th October 2016, 17:40   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Clutch gone bad at only 25,000 km

My Dad has a 2011 Chevy Cruze which has done only 25000 KMS. It was driven mostly by his driver.

Last week when traveling out of station, the clutch suddenly stopped working and the driver was unable to shift the gear. Clutch pedal has some play but gear was not shifting. There were no signs of clutch sound or any other grinding sound until then. The car was towed to the service center.

Today the clutch was opened at the service center and below are the images of clutch assembly. The images show that the parts in the clutch assembly got rubbed against each other very badly and shaved off the metal. The video shows the mechanic explaining that the flywheel has more play than desired.

What could be the reason for the sudden clutch failure without any signs of wear like sound or hard feedback? The service center says they have to replace release bearing, clutch assembly and flywheel.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Link to the video of the flywheel
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxn...ew?usp=sharing
Attached Thumbnails
Clutch gone bad at only 25,000 km-whatsapp-image-20161024-5.05.08-pm.jpeg  

Clutch gone bad at only 25,000 km-whatsapp-image-20161024-5.05.09-pm-1.jpeg  

Clutch gone bad at only 25,000 km-whatsapp-image-20161024-5.05.09-pm.jpeg  

Clutch gone bad at only 25,000 km-whatsapp-image-20161024-5.05.11-pm.jpeg  

Last edited by satish_appasani : 24th October 2016 at 18:08.
satish_appasani is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2016, 18:23   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Clutch gone bad at only 25,000 km

CRUZE has an extremely powerful diesel motor. If the driver used to keep his leg pressed on the clutch in traffic jams not keeping in neutral even if halt is long or resting the leg on the clutch or probably at low speeds / slopes not downshifting at the right time but playing the clutch to gain performance & so many other simple reasons which could lead to premature wear.

Having owned a Cruze for about 4 years for about 40k kms my cars clutch was still strong, but i was careful with the clutch.

So, overall driving style defines the wear & tear of such parts.

Last edited by karan561 : 24th October 2016 at 18:30.
karan561 is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2016, 19:02   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani View Post
What could be the reason for the sudden clutch failure without any signs of wear like sound or hard feedback? The service center says they have to replace release bearing, clutch assembly and flywheel.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

DMF flywheels fail and this could be due to manufacturing fault or user abuse. DMF is a wear and tear item like the clutch. Its a two piece unit one that mates to the engine and the other that mates to the gearbox with bushes, springs and gear wheels inside them joining these two sides.

The failure in your case is severe as it rubbed against the bell housing, usually they give warning signs before reaching this stage and giving up by means of audible clunks. Probably the driver/user of this car did not hear it or might have dismissed as something else.

Below is the video of the DMF I got replaced in my MK1 Octavia vRS, this is just beginning to go bust at around 60,000KMs. I replaced it with a single mass unit. In mine the clutch disc was knackered and couple of joints holding it had popped off (Pic in video at 0:27 secs) because of the wobble in the friction side which made the disc and the pressure plate run wobbly (just like what the mech demonstrated by pulling friction side towards him in your video). The wobble was excessive in your case and the pressure plate hit the bell housing, thus the marks.

Service centre is correct in replacing all those parts.

Last edited by Sankar : 24th October 2016 at 19:18.
Sankar is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2016, 19:04   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The video shows the mechanic explaining that the flywheel has more play than desired.
====
So what was the reason given for that play? Is it a bad flywheel assembly? or more than that.

As far as clutch failure is concerned it can be either due to driving habit or bad parts / part failure.

Do you have picture of the clutch plate and the areas that were rubbing together?

Edit: Thanks Shankar! - has answered some of my doubts, it is a dual mass flywheel and hence the play

Last edited by Jaggu : 24th October 2016 at 19:08.
Jaggu is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2016, 20:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

karan561 is spot-on. The Cruze is a temperamental rocket.

IMHO, average drivers are notoriously negligent with heavy + turbo-lag ridden cars like the Cruze. They ride the clutch instead of down-shifting to an appropriate lower gear and also upshift abruptly to a higher gear just as the turbo is coming into play.

I suggest you try for a goodwill subsidy of some portion of your expense but frankly I am not hopeful. My 2011 Cruze had a clutch-plate change at 40k km (3 years) but the flywheel was changed by Chevy as a goodwill gesture. Currently the odo stands at 90k with multiple drivers from 75k onwards and it still holds good.

However, I make it a point to irritate my drivers my painstakingly coaching them on HOW to drive this beast as it has generally not very agile, has very heavy handling characteristics, suffers from huge turbo lag, surges like mad when in the turbo zone and smokes if accelerator is pressed too much! So far so good!

Last edited by itwasntme : 24th October 2016 at 20:34. Reason: karan
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2016, 21:02   #6
BHPian

My car the Cruze LT is 6 and 1/2 years old bought in 2009. The car has covered 1,59,945km and is still going around with its original clutch. You have had a defective bearing or your driver is extremely unskilled. Extremely sudden release of the clutch pedal might result in this issue .. Personally I think it is because of defective clutch bearing.

I had it tuned at about 12000km to output 190bhp and torque at about 390nm. I had asked Siddharth to tune it such that the car mechanicals would last me without damage for 2,00,000km. Since the Cruze had lag upto 1400rpm the first thing he did was increase the torque at 1100rpm by increasing fuel flow. Turbo would come on only at 1300rpm. This resulted in me not having to slip the clutch at all and hence this long life.

Except for vertical stabilizer bar link which cost Rs 1800 everything is original from the factory and I drive hard in second and third gears .

Last edited by drpullockaran : 24th October 2016 at 21:12.
drpullockaran is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2016, 22:52   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow. The pressure plate has been rubbing on to the bell housing. The flywheel should have been broken up, and thats why was not transmitting torque.
Quote:
... It was driven mostly by his driver...
Well, that might be why you didn't get an early indication.

Please go ahead and change the clutch friction plate, pressure plate, release bearing and also the flywheel. Also, check the fork/engaging mechanism.

You can go ahead with the single mass flywheel to avoid mishaps like these in future, but, the overall refinement and shift quality might take a hit.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2016, 23:52   #8

Default Re: Clutch gone bad at only 25,000 km

Recently my friend's Cruze has seen clutch failure. He replaced all parts at outside workshop. He sourced following parts from market.

Flywheel - LUK
Clutch Set - PHC Valeo
Release Bearing - Some German Company

As per him, same parts are used in OE fitment. At Chevrolet Service Center, It would have cost him 75-85k but in aftermarket he could source all parts below 40k.
Vikas Gupta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote