Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 12th November 2016, 22:57   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Niggles & issues with the Toyota Innova Crysta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Off all the issues you have listed, this appears to be serious unless there is leakage from the oil filter. Of course, left pulling is also bothersome and reported by others. Maybe you will need to try someone outside who has better machines/ experienced guys.
I believe the leakage from the oil filter over time is called as sweating. They confirmed that it isn't that. For the left pulling yes I would be visiting a place outside of the A.S.S. for resolution!
miharbe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2016, 23:03   #47
BHPian

At the fag end of the old Innova ( Type 3 & Type 4 ), I remember the customers & reviewers complaining of poor / uneven panel gaps especially around the hatch area.

Can also personally vouch for the very poor paint finish - the bumper especially - & very poor quality - had a front bumper to rear bumper scratch owing to a thorny tree branch near my office approach, of my Type 3 Innova GX.

Also the paint of my running board had PEELED off within 6 months or so. It was rectified by repainting the running board.

Never ever faced such a problem in any of my Tata vehicles.

Yes the Toyota A.S.S was very supportive & proactive but still it is something not necessary & expexted for a 15 lakh vehicle.

On a different note, if these reported problems werr on a Indian manufacterer vehicle ( ie Tata for example ) by now the grave would have been dug & a very deep one at that to bury the vehicle as unsafe & pathetic.

Just my thoughts.
Ameya Janvekar is offline   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2016, 20:33   #48

Hello fellow members,

My friend brought a Innova Crysta V model 10 days ago and he has two queries which i would like ask other crysta owners.

1. Reverse camera - around 15 - 20% if the screen show the bumper + partial number plate.

2. front disc brakes has around 0.5 - 1 cm of oxidized layer of rust closer to the inner circle (nothing major but is not like regular paint or coating which we can see in regular disc brakes. apologies for the non technical description.

Are these normal and if any of the owners could crosscheck and confirm it will be great. Thanks.
Attached Images

FlairBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2016, 15:07   #49
BHPian

Posting pictures of the Brake rotor of my innova crysta which has done 7000kms Only. I did the brake pad cleaning during 5k service from the Toyota showroom. But now the condition has deteriorated. Booked for a check up with service center for tomorrow.Niggles & issues with the Toyota Innova Crysta-img_5987.jpg

Niggles & issues with the Toyota Innova Crysta-img_5982.jpg

Niggles & issues with the Toyota Innova Crysta-img_5984.jpg

The right side brake rotor is worst affected. The other picture is of the left side.

Last edited by Zappo : 23rd November 2016 at 15:25. Reason: Please do not make back to back posts. Edit your post to add to the content if you missed something.
streetracer_919 is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2016, 23:21   #50
Senior - BHPian

It was a surprise (and not so pleasant one) to stumble upon this thread . As most of your have reiterated, Toyota and niggles don't go hand-in-hand . The Innova was my dream car and to see all these issues cropping up in the Crysta really hurts. I can understand the feelings of all you Crysta owners, who have shelved in excess of 20 lacs to get the bullet proof Toyota reliability.

Since there has been no update on this thread for the last 18 days, i assume things might have started settling down now. I think we should give the benefit of doubt to Toyota for the below reasons:
  1. The Crysta is a new product and any product newly launched goes through its lifecycle of initial teething troubles/ niggles and takes some time for stabilization.
  2. With the Crysta, Toyota has tried to increase the localization/ indigenisation content (don't know the exact percentage, but it is substantially more that the previous generation Innova).
  3. Most of the complaints/ issues listed so far point to either the sub-par component quality or gaps in Quality Control. I hope Toyota will be very quick to react on this, tighten the screws in its vendors and its QC people as well.
  4. The only design issue I can think of, is the tyre bursting one.
I was the owner of a pre-worshipped Innova for one year. I wouldn't have sold it if I never came to know that my Innova had met a major accident and undergone a massive repair by the previous owner. However one thing stood out in that one year was the Toyota service, they strive hard to get a 10 out of 10.

Last edited by AutoIndian : 11th December 2016 at 23:22.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2016, 06:57   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Since there has been no update on this thread for the last 18 days, i assume things might have started settling down now. I think we should give the benefit of doubt to Toyota.
Sorry to spoil the party, but a few more instances on the Toyota Innova Crysta - Official Review thread. Not many would imagine that this thread can even exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeep.pandya View Post
10K completed in my ZX 2.4 and I can say that Toyota's perceived quality is totally overrated...

...I paid 22.5 lakhs for peace of mind and not for the rattles which are showing up from the ill bolstered dashboard and door panels...

...My ZX manual is already rattling like a cheap entry level car! So many rattle sources...

Just feeling terrible. Sigh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruchir031 View Post
Our 300km old is rattling all around and I'm really very annoyed by it...

...I'm certainly disappointed we sold our old Innova to get this one specially after the way it's turning out to be even before 500kms on the ODO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruchir031 View Post
I'm not the only one, few people I know who got Crysta are facing the same rattling problem, even in the Fortuner there's lot of rattles just after coming out of the showroom! Some people have raised the volume a couple of notches to fix it, but I can just not deal with it, it bugs me. If Toyota cannot fix it I'm selling this within a month.

Hold off for Hexa I'd say, I'm considering it too after my fatal experience with Crysta.

Quote:
However one thing stood out in that one year was the Toyota service, they strive hard to get a 10 out of 10.

BTW, I switched from Tata Manza to the 2nd Generation Toyota Innova (pre-owned) and my service experience (rather limited though, must admit) was quite contrary. Toyota's service experience was glossier - more smiling faces, more welcoming spaces, etc. but when it came to actual work done, delivery wasn't as good. Perhaps was unlucky, and hope it changes on my next visit to the service center. BTW - I never got any call to provide feedback/rating for the service experience.

Last edited by sachinayak : 12th December 2016 at 06:59.
sachinayak is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2017, 12:32   #52
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by miharbe View Post
I installed the front fog lamps from the dealer and paid upwards of INR 10,000 for them. The left fog lamp conked off sometime in August. Replacement bulb (H16) costs an eye-watering INR 1,200
Front fog lamps in my refreshed ARIA cost me Rs 2500+

Cost of entire tail lamp assembly along with 4 bulbs ( tail, brake, fog and another one ) in refreshed ARIA is Rs 1200/-

Recently traveled in a Innova Crysta Taxi for 200 odd KM. The rear bumper was broken and there was a dent in the boot door. The car as rear guard fixed. Driver told me, a biker hit the rear bumper, which led to the crack in bumper, dent in boot door and he has collected Rs 10000/- from biker for repairs

My ARIA was rear ended with a thud a by TATA SUMO at reasonable speed. All i got was 4-5 hair line cracks in bumper.

Last edited by rkg : 18th March 2017 at 12:53.
rkg is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2017, 16:09   #53
BHPian

Angry Re: Niggles & issues with the Toyota Innova Crysta

Surprised! to say the least. Toyota which boasts of reliability & niggle free ownership & charges accordingly is taking its customers for a cool ride???

I feel these niggles would be essentially India specific, because folks at Toyota Kirloskar must have learned by now that Indians will buy anything they dish out as long as the Innova badge is on it.

Disappointed
gurthvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2017, 13:41   #54
Senior - BHPian

Post Re: Niggles & issues with the Toyota Innova Crysta

Can the owners of Crysta who faced the niggles confirm whether the issues are sorted out or not ?
I was seriously contemplating buying the crysta ( due to my previous experience with the Etios and my friend/relative's experience with the old Innova ). But, this thread as well as the water leak issue has created lots of doubts inside my mind regarding whether Toyota still considers QDR seriously.

The main reason why someone would buy a Toyota is for the peace of mind the brand offers, and it seems to have taken a big hit. When I first heard of the tyre size bug, I rubbed it of as a one time mistake. But, the list seems to be widening now with rattles, brake issues, ac issues and now even a water leak!

Last edited by amalji : 2nd June 2017 at 13:42.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2017, 13:57   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
......The Crysta is a new product and any product newly launched goes through its lifecycle of initial teething troubles/ niggles and takes some time for stabilization.
On the contrary, isn't the whole point of people buying pricey Toyotas with their eyes closed - completely disregarding the competition - precisely that they don't want teething issues and niggles?

Quote:
With the Crysta, Toyota has tried to increase the localization/ indigenisation content
'Made for India' strikes again!
Chetan_Rao is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2017, 14:18   #56
Senior - BHPian

Post Re: Niggles & issues with the Toyota Innova Crysta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
'Made for India' strikes again!
I think, it's not just with the Indian Crysta that the niggles has been reported.
See the email sent to GTO by an Indonasian.

Quoting the post here for better readability.

Quote:
Dear BHP Team,

Greetings from Indonesia!

My name is Tri and Iíve been one of your readers for several years. I'm sure you're not surprised to have fans here

The reason why Iím reaching out to you is to find out whether you hear any complaints from the all new 2016 Toyota Innova users in India. As you can see, Indonesian online media is swarmed with news regarding several issues on the new Innova that was found by tens to hundreds of users:

1. The AWR6B45 automatic transmission (used by 1TR, 2TR, 1GD and 2GD engines) behaves erratically. It is often jerky when gliding (when the driver lifts his foot from the gas pedal and uses up the momentum to keep the car forward) around 40-80 km/h. This happens because the transmission upshifts to reduce fuel consumption. It also often downshifts and causes the engine to rev up unnecessarily.

2. When engine temperature is below operating temp, the turbo attached to 2GD engines produces a whirring sound just like the sound of a kettle full of boiling water or like a wornout bearing. In fact, one user dismantled his turbo and found out that the blade is wobbling in all directions, proof that the bearing is worn out.

3. There have been several occurrences where the engine is not responding according to pedal movement. In two occurrences in AT transmission, the car is accelerating for around 10 seconds although the driver has lifted his foot from the gas pedal and applied the brake. In another occurrence in the MT transmission, engine is losing power although the gas pedal was pressed. It only returns to response after the driver shifted to neutral for 3 seconds.

To our disappointment, local Toyota representatives have declared that issue is very rare and does not concern safety, so they are not going to recall the product. They have only done a workaround of remapping the ECU/TCU which consequently causes the engine to work in lower revs and thus lower torque.

Me and other Innova users in Indonesia would be grateful if you can help us gather the facts.

Warm regards,

Tri Mulyantono
amalji is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2017, 15:35   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
On the contrary, isn't the whole point of people buying pricey Toyotas with their eyes closed - completely disregarding the competition - precisely that they don't want teething issues and niggles?
I agree with that thought process. People who have gone ahead with their blind faith and plonked their hard earned money on Crysta, might think if they made a wise decision, if they start seeing issues/ niggles like these.

However I don't think Toyota would let down the "Brand Innova" so easily, which has been built over the years.
AutoIndian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2017, 20:06   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Can the owners of Crysta who faced the niggles confirm whether the issues are sorted out or not ?
I was seriously contemplating buying the crysta ( due to my previous experience with the Etios and my friend/relative's experience with the old Innova ). But, this thread as well as the water leak issue has created lots of doubts inside my mind regarding whether Toyota still considers QDR seriously.

The main reason why someone would buy a Toyota is for the peace of mind the brand offers, and it seems to have taken a big hit. When I first heard of the tyre size bug, I rubbed it of as a one time mistake. But, the list seems to be widening now with rattles, brake issues, ac issues and now even a water leak!
Mine is GX AT variant and there are few more issues reported on the higher variants. The issues I faced so far and the resolution provided by Toyota :

- Tyre Burst . No resolution. Toyota Service Center brushes it off as a external damage. Have been very careful ever since while going over potholes or on broken roads.
- Steering Vibration at higher speeds. Discs replaced under warranty and hasnt really faced it again, except for once while driving from Bangalore to Chennai. After this, I did 4 long drives and the problem is not seen anymore.
- Driver Seat Rattle. Took them 4 attempts to understand where the issue is and finally admitted that they need to change the seat tracks. Yet to be fixed, as I have to take the car again to the service centre.
- Rattling sound from left side door on the 2nd row. Will take me few more attempts to make them understand this. Honestly with my current experience so far with the service center, have decided not to bother about this and started to live with it.
- Steering alignment : Not fixed at the service center in two attempts and finally got it fixed at Madhus in Bangalore.

Below issues are not seen frequently, so left them unattended as of now :

- 3rd row seat latch got stuck and doesnt sit on to the floor bolt. Have taken the car to service center and the technician pulled the latch again, the lock got released and the problem was not seen after that.
- Sudden thud sound and cabin shake, while starting the car. This is seen often and an automobile expert who checked this problem suggested to get the engine bed and the transmission bed checked. Have read elsewhere on the official review thread, another owner faced a similar problem and they replaced the engine mounting bushes. I decided not to bother too much about this for now.
- Few of the plastic parts in the cabin are coming off and I fix them back in place. Ex: The plastic bit used to cover the seat tracks in the 2nd row.
- Hard gear shifts from P to R. No definite pattern, but has observed this couple of times.

I have covered 21k Kms so far with the car in a little over 10 months and overall its a satisfying ownership experience with the car, barring the initial hiccups with tyre bursts. The family feels comfortable travelling in the car over long distances and this is my daily drive too within the city.
samabhi is online now   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2017, 08:46   #59
BHPian

This is not a problem reported with the Crysta, but the old Innova. Unfortunately, I could not find a thread for niggles in the older Innova
My colleague was travelling back from Kerala to Bangalore in his 7 year old Innova and the car showed signs of slight fishtailing near Dharmapuri. He stopped the car, checked and found that two of the wheel bolts have sheared off and the others have become loose. He was able to tighten the other bolts and limp to Bangalore. I'm not denying the fact that it can happen to a 7 year old car, but the scary part is not that. His car was serviced just 3 weeks back at the Nandi Toyota express service on Bannerghatta road. When he gave it for repair after the incident, he was told that they had performed the torque testing of the wheel nuts. His entire family was there in the car when this happened. I'm posting it here for the benefit of all forum members.
[Mods, please move it to the appropriate thread if this does not belong here]
A350XWB is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote