Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 17th October 2006, 12:59   #1
BHPian

Default Tapping Sound

When i park my ikon in the sun for some time (2-3 hrs) and switch on the ignition(not neccesarily start the engine) i get this strange tapping noise from the rear. I have no idea where it is comming from i couldnt isolate it.. i felt it was comming from the petrol tank side of the car.. The noise goes off after some time (2-3 mins) when the car cools down .. there is no change in cars performance while driving with this tapping noise..Any idea what this is ? This happens very rarely i have seen it happen twice over the past 3 years. the Ford service guys could not identify any problem.
shazikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2006, 13:16   #2
BHPian

Ask them to check your fuel pump. thats the only thing I can think of.
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2006, 14:25   #3
BHPian

My initial doubt was the fuel pump but why would the fuel pump sound like that..when the car is in the sun? The fuel pump is located under the body away from the sun..it sounds like tapping + winding noise..
Old 17th October 2006, 14:35   #4
Team-BHP Support

With car stationary with engine off, and ignition on, the only thing which can make noise in the rear is a pump(winding, ticking noise) or a bhoot. Try another thing, disconnect your rear speakers wiring and then repeat? Just a hunch.
What is the color of your car. In a dark colored car even under the car things can become pretty cooked.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2006, 14:44   #5
BHPian

Sideways, tsk1979
thanks for the info.. i will get the fuel pump checked. btw tsk1979, my car colour is paprika Red.
Old 17th October 2006, 14:52   #6
Team-BHP Support

shazikon,
Before you head on the the workshop, try one more thing.
Ask somebody to to sit in drivers seat, go to the fuel tank opening, put your ear near it after opening it and ask the other person to go and put key in ingnition position. that will really comfirm if its the FP.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2006, 17:21   #7
Senior - BHPian

well i doubt you should have anything to worry about...since its happened TWICE IN THE PAST 3YEARS....jus carry on driving like nothing ever happened
danlalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2006, 11:13   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan
well i doubt you should have anything to worry about...since its happened TWICE IN THE PAST 3YEARS....jus carry on driving like nothing ever happened
I was just worried if the noise was due to some hidden problems which might cause more damage later! i guess i will get the fuel pump checked anyways cos my car is 5.5 yrs old and fuel pump has never been touched.
Old 18th October 2006, 12:50   #9
BHPian

Are you talking about a Tick tick sound....My friends bike makes that sound after hes been riding it for some time..The mechanic says its the catalytic converter...and the sound is completely natural..
However, i own an Ikon as well and have never heard this sound..so its probably something completely different
swale84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2006, 20:53   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazikon
Quote:
My initial doubt was the fuel pump but why would the fuel pump sound like that..when the car is in the sun? The fuel pump is located under the body away from the sun..it sounds like tapping + winding noise..
If you are using remote locking, then try to see if it is orginating from the rear door or the boot.

My car just used to make winding noise from the boot when left in the sun and I treid to start.
The Nippon guys gave me some crap as a reason but managed to fix the problem

Last edited by kiranpashtakar : 18th October 2006 at 20:56.
kiranpashtakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2006, 12:45   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swale84
Are you talking about a Tick tick sound....My friends bike makes that sound after hes been riding it for some time..The mechanic says its the catalytic converter...and the sound is completely natural..
However, i own an Ikon as well and have never heard this sound..so its probably something completely different
No this is not the catalitic converter sound.. i know how that souds.. it usually happens in new cars and bikes.. thats the hot metal cooling off. This is more like a mechanical sound.. like a motor winding.
Old 19th October 2006, 12:52   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiranpashtakar
If you are using remote locking, then try to see if it is orginating from the rear door or the boot.

My car just used to make winding noise from the boot when left in the sun and I treid to start.
The Nippon guys gave me some crap as a reason but managed to fix the problem
Yeah this might exactly be the problem i have.. but it doesnt happen always... DAH!! now i know i had disabled the cars autocop for the past one year as it had fused out. I got it repiared a month back and am seeing this problem again!! this might be some thing to do with the autocop sensors over heating and giving lock signal to the boot or the rear door...thanks kiranpashtakar this might be it!! can i know how fixed the problem?
Old 19th October 2006, 13:01   #13
Team-BHP Support

i think you have found the culprit, three sounds that iKON gives out at ignition

1 The air recirculation flap closes with a thud if its ON
2 Fuel pump, feeble whirr for 2 sec and stops
3 Remote lock equiped cars the locks engage with whrrrrr, if wiring is mess it will loop, so i think check on this in your case
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2006, 13:40   #14
BHPian

thanks jaggu..
i have heard the first one.. 1 The air recirculation flap closes with a thud if its ON

i thought the noise i was seeing was from the the fuel pump..now thats clarified I guess?
i need to look out for the fuel pump noise
Old 30th March 2007, 13:56   #15
Team-BHP Support

I noticed a similar sound of this nature in my Ikon this morning. Was there while i was idling the engine. I believe it vanished after a few minutes.
First time i am coming across this problem (??).

Anything to be concerned about?
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote