Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 17th October 2006, 20:10   #1
BHPian

My Lancer 2000 model SFXI"s heat Meter is Like Varying Frm top to Normal ...Noticed this just One week Ago...Everytime it goes to the Maximum and suddenly turns back to normal(Middle)....Havent gone for a long drive since this has started....thought of Showing this to the authorised service center...but then thought will take advises from Bhpians b4 that....like they cant take me for a drive if i know atleast some idea of what the problem maybe...(i Had an experience of Smoke coming from the radiator coz coolant was empty a month ago....but now i regularly check coolant....so not a case of empty coolant )
lancer_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2006, 21:04   #2
DRC
BHPian

You may still be running low on coolant if not empty. Also get the thermostat checked. a critical part for running the cooling system properly,
DRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2006, 21:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

Disconnect the temp gauge switch that is screwed in on the engine somewhere on the coolant/water manifold. ask your garage guy to temporarily install another temp gauge and see if that too behave the same way or not. If not, then your gauge is faulty.

Secondly, drain out all the coolant from the radiator and refill afresh. look out for oils slicks or rusty residue in the drained out fluid. maybe radiator is choked and needs cleaning.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2006, 21:45   #4
Team-BHP Support

had same problem with my iKON replaced the temp sensor and its fine, mine used to shoot to max from zero at first start and once i switch off for couple of sec and start it will show lower temp.. costed some 1500 bucks
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2006, 18:02   #5
BHPian

DRC..the coolant is full...

Any idea of how much a Lancer's Temp sensor will come to....

Last edited by adya33 : 20th October 2006 at 01:28.
lancer_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2006, 22:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

Yiu can find out from here - http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.in/dealerlocator.asp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_maniac
Any idea of how much a Lancer's Temp sensor will come to....
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2006, 01:10   #7
elf
BANNED

I have more or less the same problem since the past month with my Lancer as well - my car heats up like crazy on a hot day with the aircon on whilst trawling through traffic.

The aircon compressor then goes off (auto system, I guess, to protect the vehicle) & the temp continues to rise till close to the top.

Once the road opens up, she cools down considerably due to the increased airflow. The aircon can be switched on again & everything works fine.

I too have checked my coolant levels & everything seems to be OK...
elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2006, 01:28   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have more or less the same problem since the past month with my Lancer as well - my car heats up like crazy on a hot day with the aircon on whilst trawling through traffic.

The aircon compressor then goes off (auto system, I guess, to protect the vehicle) & the temp continues to rise till close to the top.

Once the road opens up, she cools down considerably due to the increased airflow. The aircon can be switched on again & everything works fine.

I too have checked my coolant levels & everything seems to be OK...
99.99%, its ur radiator fan. Get it checked,elf.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2006, 01:32   #9
elf
BANNED

Thanks for your advice nitrous.

My radiator fan bearing had siezed two months back, & I had the entire motor replaced, along with the fan relays (which weren't busted).

Problem still persists, though...
Old 20th October 2006, 01:36   #10
BHPian

Have u checked Thermostat also? when your car is idle switch on the A.C open the hood & see how frequently or not your Radiator Fan is running & at what speed.
Ford Rocam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2006, 01:40   #11
elf
BANNED

Hey FR, congrats on the D-BHP status!

My aircon compressor also seems to be cycling extra fast - barely goes off before coming on again within a coupla seconds. Thought this was because of the funny behavior of the cooling system.
Old 20th October 2006, 02:33   #12
BHPian

The sequence goes like this.

1. Check the coolant in the radiator and the tank.
2.Check the fan.(Start the car and let it idle for 5-10 minutes. See if the fan starts if it dose place your hand behind it and see that is throws hot air, Hot air means that the coolant is circulating and getting cooled. )
3. Check for any leak on the radiator or hose.
4. Get the Coolant valve checked. (The valve can choke hence stop coolant from flowing.)
5. Check for white smoke from the exhaust and see if you have water on the head(Open the engine oil cap on the head and you will be able to see the cam shaft see if you have water droplets on the cam.) If yes you need to get the head gasket replaced.
bhogalrajnish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2006, 02:55   #13
Senior - BHPian

Elf - I think your problem lies with the Thermostat rather than the A/C compressor. The cutting in & going off of the compressor depends on the cabin temprature & is independent of the engine temprature. Whereas your problem seems to be that the radiator fan is not cutting in at the right temp due to a faulty thermostat and is thus allowing the car to go to that high tempratures.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2006, 20:32   #14
BHPian

also pls chk the earth connection of Temp gauge , it may be loose .... it happened on my lancer too the temp needle touched the red line suddenly .... coolent level was ok & fan was also working ..... only the earth connection was loose..... fixed it from road side costed me Rs20/-
Sivia is offline   Reply With Quote