Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2016, 19:23   #1
BHPian
 
Quarter Mile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 33
Thanked: 22 Times
Default BMW 520d: Increased battery discharge error

Gents - I have been facing a peculiar issue with my 2009 Model BMW 520D. A few months ago I started to get this error "Increased Battery Discharge" and then this used to disappear a few days of driving. I thought it went away. Then again after a few days the same error popped up and only this time, this led to multiple errors popping up including the "Transmission Breakdown Failure". Shut the car off for a few minutes and turned it back on and no errors for a few days again. However same thing started again. I definitely knew this was related to the battery and when got the battery checked, it was nearly dead. I put a new 100din battery from Exide. 20 days this all looked good and then the same thing started to happen. Went to the exide dealer and complained and then put a stand by battery for me and said he will conduct tests on the battery and let me know. I drove with the stand by battery for about a month without a single issue. I went back and got my new battery back thinking it will all be good. Now the same issue again popped by after 10 days and now again a stand by battery. Exide guy is sending my new battery back to the company who will conduct tests and determine if it is faulty or not. Now, with this standby battery same errors popped up in a day and this time the car just shut. Had to get it jump started.

This is really getting annoying for me. Any advice on this will be much appreciated. I also wanted to know what is the best suitable battery for a 520D? Should I just get another new battery and try this time?

Looking forward to your responses.

Many Thanks
Quarter Mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 19:55   #2
BHPian
 
earthian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 226
Thanked: 367 Times
Default re: BMW 520d: Increased battery discharge error

Well, one thing is for sure. Either the battery is not charging, as it should, or it is draining more than it should. See this link. There are some owners who have shared their experiences and solutions.
BTW, i don't drive a Beemer, but had similar issues in my car. Culprit turned out to be a weak battery. Replaced and all ok now.
earthian is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 20:03   #3
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 3,285
Thanked: 1,659 Times
Default re: BMW 520d: Increased battery discharge error

If I'm not mistaken, in a BMW the type of battery (AGM, flooded etc) has to be set. Might or might not relate to the issue at hand.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 20:35   #4
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 258
Thanked: 64 Times
Default re: BMW 520d: Increased battery discharge error

Why not get a battery from the dealer?

E60 runs on intelligent power management. So, the battery you put on, should be registered on the vehicle. The car then manages the charge by affecting even the engine rpm. Even for E60, the energy management can rev up the engine on its own by up to 200 notch if the charging is insufficient.

Why Exide? Let BMW give it's own diagnosis on it.

Last edited by GTO : 25th November 2016 at 11:11. Reason: Typo
BeamerBoy is online now   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2016, 11:19   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 44,181
Thanked: 65,466 Times
Default Re: BMW 520d: Increased battery discharge error

It's not the battery; something is drawing current from & draining your battery while it's parked. You need to take your car to a competent Euro-car mechanic or BMW dealer and check the source of drain + also whether your alternator is functioning properly.

Ensure that your battery is set, as per Sutripta's post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
If I'm not mistaken, in a BMW the type of battery (AGM, flooded etc) has to be set.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2016, 11:59   #6
BHPian
 
Quarter Mile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 33
Thanked: 22 Times
Default Re: BMW 520d: Increased battery discharge error

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
Well, one thing is for sure. Either the battery is not charging, as it should, or it is draining more than it should. See this link. There are some owners who have shared their experiences and solutions.
BTW, i don't drive a Beemer, but had similar issues in my car. Culprit turned out to be a weak battery. Replaced and all ok now.
I now believe its draining more than it should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
If I'm not mistaken, in a BMW the type of battery (AGM, flooded etc) has to be set. Might or might not relate to the issue at hand.

Regards
Sutripta
When the new battery was installed, got the same installed and confirmed via the software as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerBoy View Post
Why not get a battery from the dealer?

E60 runs on intelligent power management. So, the battery you put on, should be registered on the vehicle. The car then manages the charge by affecting even the engine rpm. Even for E60, the energy management can rev up the engine on its own by up to 200 notch if the charging is insufficient.

Why Exide? Let BMW give it's own diagnosis on it.
I believe its draining excess power while not in use. I think its the CD changer. Will remove the CD changer and give it a shot. Otherwise will visit the BMW service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It's not the battery; something is drawing current from & draining your battery while it's parked. You need to take your car to a competent Euro-car mechanic or BMW dealer and check the source of drain + also whether your alternator is functioning properly.

Ensure that your battery is set, as per Sutripta's post:
Thanks GTO. I agree with you. I had the alternator checked and its working just fine.

Now, something I missed to mention earlier was, before this error used to pop up, when I put the key fob in suddenly I hear the CD changer trying to shuffle making some funny noises and immediately after that I get the error. This happened every single time I got the error message. I did a bit of reading on other forums and people did mention regarding the same issue. For now I have removed the CD changer out of the console. Ill observe for a few days otherwise take it to a competent guy to check the electricals on the CD Changer unit. Will also just disable the whole CD Changer unit if required as I do not use it.

Will keep you all posted on the same.

Many Thanks

Last edited by Quarter Mile : 25th November 2016 at 12:01.
Quarter Mile is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2016, 12:19   #7
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 258
Thanked: 64 Times
Default Re: BMW 520d: Increased battery discharge error

http://www.bimmerscan.com/bmw-energy-diagnosis/

Go to BMW. Buy their Energy Diagnosis Report. It is a lovely report to read through. Example is in the above link.

Run the energy diagnosis report and you will get your answer. Just for your information, the E60 battery management info runs into 67 pages with font size 10. I doubt Exide will have enough information to give you an informed answer.
BeamerBoy is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2016, 13:04   #8
BHPian
 
Quarter Mile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 33
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerBoy View Post
http://www.bimmerscan.com/bmw-energy-diagnosis/



Go to BMW. Buy their Energy Diagnosis Report. It is a lovely report to read through. Example is in the above link.



Run the energy diagnosis report and you will get your answer. Just for your information, the E60 battery management info runs into 67 pages with font size 10. I doubt Exide will have enough information to give you an informed answer.

Thanks mate. That's exactly what I will be doing. I have a cousin who works at BMW and he has suggested the very same thing. Booked an appointment.

Cheers
Quarter Mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BMW 520d Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Transmission Breakdown in 520d androdev Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 157 25th June 2015 21:14
Merc E220 Vs BMW 520d Vs Audi A6? EDIT : Bought White 520D !! manujkansal Luxury, Imports & Niche 117 30th May 2014 16:15
Pioneer Head Unit Errors. Error 11 and error 17 in pioneer MP3 rajivanoj In-Car Entertainment 32 10th December 2013 17:07
VW Passat or BMW 320d Highline or New Audi A4 - EDIT : Bought BMW 520d Insane Devil Luxury, Imports & Niche 147 5th November 2009 00:59


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:03.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks