Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 13th December 2016, 13:27   #151
BHPian

Default Re: Disadvantages of keyless engine start systems

While most of us have commented and shared the usability aspects and difficulties or risks associated with "Keyless entry", We shared a situation wherein our Nissan Pulse never started, after taking a small break (luckily within city limits). Car was towed and after a week of analysis, it was confirmed that some circuit in touch start is damaged and new one needs to be procured. It took 4 weeks for the car to come back

I am personally of the opinion to keep as much as possible manual. Any and everything which has more circuit, features, software attached fails earlier. Our touch screen phones are a good example as compared to Nokias of past.
Does it mean we should not embrace technology ? Nope, but use it where it makes a difference and touch start is something which is a BIG NO for me but I have no choice.
Cooltronics is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2016, 18:12   #152
BHPian

My car is keyless and wife’s is a key with remote. I drive both. For me the most convenient part of having keyless is not having to put hands in your pocket to retrieve the key or putting it back in pocket. Normally this is not an issue at all, but imagine carrying something with both your hands, with a car with key or with remote you have to free one hand to take the key out from your pocket. You have no other option to put the thing down or a bag down to open your car. In keyless system all you need is a free finger which in most cases is possible without putting anything down. Not found any other big convenience factor.
ViMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2016, 06:52   #153
BHPian

My experience:
The disadvantage: On more than one occasion have I not remembered where in the car I have tossed my keys once I have gotten in, started the car and driven away. On another occasion, I did not remember to whom I had given the keys to, since there were four of us in the car and we had just gotten back in town from a 6 hour drive where two people took turns to drive, but the key was passed around to everyone when we stopped for lunch.
My point: You just need to be more aware of what you do with the key, and where you keep it. I've started keeping the key in my pocket only, and not tossing it into a bag, or keeping it with me at all times irrespective of who's driving the car.

Advantages: Keyless start comes with the benefit of keyless entry. On days where the weather is below freezing, I cant tell you how much of a boon keyless entry is. Fishing for your keys in your pocket with gloves is hard, and taking off your gloves and fishing around in your pocket is harder.
studentonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2016, 08:08   #154
BHPian

A big con is that on signals when you want to switch off your engine, everything gets switched off. Music system, Bluetooth connected to phone etc etc. The companies should give a two story switch-off(just like we have for starting the car) instead if one button push switching off everything.
Shashankjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2016, 08:53   #155
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
- You can, technically, leave the key behind and drive away the car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
5. your friend walks off with key in his pocket while dropping him to the airport
keyless - drive off hoping the car dont stall before you reach home
manual key - not possible (either you cant forget to take the keys, or you are stranded there)
This is not possible. The keyless fob needs to be within a certain distance from the car to keep the engine running. Once that distance is exceeded the car will shut down.
pedrolourenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2016, 09:21   #156
BHPian

In my personal opinion, I feel only keyless start is better than keyless entry and start. I have left the keys inside the car umpteen number of times. So if I have to manually lock the car after disembarking with the key fob, then it ensures that the key remains with me at all times and I don't accidentally leave the key inside.
In this way our 2016 X1 is perfect for me.

Last edited by D4d-maniac : 14th December 2016 at 09:23.
D4d-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2016, 09:51   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
This is not possible. The keyless fob needs to be within a certain distance from the car to keep the engine running. Once that distance is exceeded the car will shut down.
It has been confirmed by multiple users that the car stays on when you take the key fob away. It gives a warning for some time and then continues business as usual. Like already shared, you can drive away, stop and shut down the car but then, you can't start it again. This can lead to a problem in certain cases that you have quoted.
ashis89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2016, 11:12   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
Could you please let me know how to do it?
This is explained in the manual under section Before driving. Pages 2-61 & 2-63 describes it. Setting D3-SL3 unlocks all the doors when ignition is turned off. Hope this helps.
ViMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2016, 11:20   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashankjk View Post
A big con is that on signals when you want to switch off your engine, everything gets switched off. Music system, Bluetooth connected to phone etc etc. The companies should give a two story switch-off(just like we have for starting the car) instead if one button push switching off everything.
Isn't this already available?

I can see this in the Grand Cherokee. One can even select the time the music system & other electricals should be ON after the key is pressed to shut the engine down. On a quick press (i.e. not a press and hold) only the electrical accessories turn on.

All these work when the key fob is inside the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjjustin View Post
... during night time another car overtook them and kept on waving at them while they did that. They stopped in front of my friend's car and then one person came to the door as in to ask for some help then immediately removed the car key.....
That post made me think about this.
on a lighter note.

Advantage: We can keep these pesky cops at bay, mostly in two wheeler cases, who pounce and grab keys when one stops at traffic lights and then make people push their vehicle to the side so that they can verify papers and make a small earning if anything is found missing.

They very thought of them trying to pull the key out, and then being surprised to see there is none is making me smile.

Key less engine start for two wheelers!! Yay!! Very much needed.

Last edited by Jaggu : 14th December 2016 at 12:25. Reason: As requested
Spinnerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2016, 11:48   #160
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashankjk View Post
A big con is that on signals when you want to switch off your engine, everything gets switched off. Music system, Bluetooth connected to phone etc etc. .
Press the button with clutch pedal depressed or in some cases both clutch + brake pedal depressed, the car would be in accessory mode.

I thought this is standard feature in all 'start/stop' button equipped cars!
a4anurag is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2016, 18:01   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
It has been confirmed by multiple users that the car stays on when you take the key fob away. It gives a warning for some time and then continues business as usual. Like already shared, you can drive away, stop and shut down the car but then, you can't start it again. This can lead to a problem in certain cases that you have quoted.
OK. I'm not 100% sure. This was explained to me by the Chevy dealer when I checked out the Cruze. Possibly it varies from car to car.
Old 14th December 2016, 18:32   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
OK. I'm not 100% sure. This was explained to me by the Chevy dealer when I checked out the Cruze. Possibly it varies from car to car.
Cruze allows the car to be driven away if the car is on but the key is not in range. This is what a Cruze owner has shared: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post4106038 (Disadvantages of keyless engine start systems)

Quote:
Not sure if this system is implemented in newer cars, if it is there then it is a good move. As many as 19 carbon monoxide poisoning deaths could have been prevented if this auto shut off was there in keyless start vehicles.

It has also caused a lot inconvenience with my Cruze. Once my friend forgot to handover the key and I drove 30km only to realise the key is not with me. Cruze only displays an error code if the key is not inside the car.

And then again, the so called "Key Inside/Outside" recognition is not perfect. In another instance, I accidentally kept the key on the windshield (outside) before preparing for a long journey. I was able to start the car despite the key being outside and drove till Hosur and only then I realised the key is lost. Luckily the key had fallen down in my driveway at home and I was able to go back and collect it.

Last edited by ashis89 : 14th December 2016 at 18:33. Reason: Quoting
ashis89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2016, 19:27   #163
BHPian

Experiences here show that the disadvantages far outweigh the advantages. You can live without those advantages, but it'll be difficult to live with the disadvantages. To repeat what i said earlier, this unnecessary "feature" only puts more software / hardware checks on the car's system and the need for the driver to constantly check whether he / she has the physical device. Features are meant to make life easier...not create new complex situations. But then for some, these gimmicks sell.

-- Torqy
Torqy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2016, 20:42   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Cruze allows the car to be driven away if the car is on but the key is not in range. This is what a Cruze owner has shared: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post4106038 (Disadvantages of keyless engine start systems)
Thanks for the clarification. My post was not to contradict anyone. I posted what was told to me and not what I have experienced. Obviously the experience of an owner will be more accurate. Anyway just goes to prove that the SA's don't always know the cars they are selling and sometimes give wrong information to customers.
Old 15th December 2016, 02:21   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjjustin View Post
..instances when intruders/strangers trying to remove the keys from the vehicle..
Are you a teetotaler?

In the good ole' days in college, my friends and me would always carry a spare key for our scooters or bikes.

Sometimes we would get stopped by the cops to get our breaths analyzed. The cops would immediately snatch the keys from the bike.

We would hang around looking sullen and sad.

When the cop was distracted with another vehicle we would quickly start our bike and ride away.
hangover is offline   Reply With Quote