Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 16th December 2016, 18:18   #181
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
In each case my XUV simply shut down, without going into the accessory mode.
Doesn't one observe the same behavior in a car equipped with regular key turning-starting system?

In my Swift, with engine running, if I turn the key anti-clockwise, everything goes OFF. For the need of accessory mode, I'll need to turn the key clockwise once.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2016, 13:15   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Doesn't one observe the same behavior in a car equipped with regular key turning-starting system?

In my Swift, with engine running, if I turn the key anti-clockwise, everything goes OFF. For the need of accessory mode, I'll need to turn the key clockwise once.

If you do not turn the key completely in the anti-clockwise direction and only turn it once to switch off the engine, the car will go to accessory mode while the doors also will not be unlocked.
akhil994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2016, 14:22   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Does the car shutdown if you keep the vehicle in gear with clutch and brakes depressed?

In Cruze AT, the car switches off completely only if the gear is in P.
In R, N and D the car switches to ACC mode when we press the stop button with brakes depressed.

I switch off the car at signals with gear in N. It will not unlock the doors and the car will be in ACC mode. And while in this ACC mode, if I move the gear to P, it switches off completely and unlocks the door. No need to press any buttons to switch off completely.
Holyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2016, 22:35   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Press the button with clutch pedal depressed or in some cases both clutch + brake pedal depressed, the car would be in accessory mode.

I thought this is standard feature in all 'start/stop' button equipped cars!
Tried this. Doesn't work. I tried multiple combinations after putting it in neutral.
1) only use stop button
2) use stop button with clutch pressed.
3) use stop button with brake pressed.
4) use stop button with clutch and brake both pressed.

Every time the car shuts down. Then you have to restart by a quick press without using clutch to go to accessory mode.

Anyone else has any ideas of how to achieve this?
Shashankjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2016, 06:41   #185
BHPian

Default Re: Disadvantages of keyless engine start systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
Does the car shutdown if you keep the vehicle in gear with clutch and brakes depressed?
Tried this yesterday, and yes, the shuts down completely even when kept in gear. Maybe I should write to Mahindra about this.
ajayclicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2016, 14:02   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A diversion but this is discussed here at length -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3811228

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3855815

Hope this helps.
abirnale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2016, 16:08   #187
BHPian

I have to say, while a keyless system makes it easier to misplace your key in one of the many bags or with any one of the people who might be in your car especially on a long trip, it is a lifesaver in winter when you don't want to be taking off your gloves to reach for your key in your pocket. Of course I live where it's really cold, and I really haven't heard of car theft using a device to mirror a key fob singal as yet.
studentonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2016, 09:14   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by studentonwheels View Post
I have to say, while a keyless system makes it easier to misplace your key in one of the many bags or with any one of the people who might be in your car especially on a long trip, it is a lifesaver in winter when you don't want to be taking off your gloves to reach for your key in your pocket. Of course I live where it's really cold, and I really haven't heard of car theft using a device to mirror a key fob singal as yet.
Sure, that's exactly what I think.. the keyless entry/start system was conceptualized keeping cold places in mind, it'll be immensely useful in certain European countries and American cities. Also I feel America in general exploits technology to its fullest potential, they go shopping and buy in great quantities and such access systems will be great to open the hatch or driver door when carrying large bags. In India most of us carry small items back in comparison. Also out climate here reaches a max low of maybe 5-10 deg C, not enough to warrant gloves.

Here's the part where it gets interesting - I've seen those having handle button access using the key-fob every single time, they like it or its a habit, either way our country really doesn't need it. I personally dislike it because I want the good old "insert key in ignition and turn" routine, gives a connect with the car like no other, not to mention that I won't misplace the key ever.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2016, 11:15   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
2. Since we usually keep the key in our pocket, if I walk off for a small errand the car will die.
The car will not die if you walk off with the key, it will beep for a while
Quote:
3. The most attractive feature is the access key on the door handles. Key the key in your pocket/bag, walk to the car, unlock with the access key, push start button and drive off.
Yes, I find this feature the most useful. It is of great help when you go back to your car after your supermarket visit.
Quote:
I hate the routine when I have to go to the Aux power mode without starting the car. Almost everytime, we end up starting the car though we don't intend to. I miss the control of a physical key.
If you don't press the clutch, the car will not start, but yes it is irritating to press the start/stop button twice to completely turn off after you go into Accessory mode. First press of start/stop button without engaging clutch will make the car enter Aux power/accessory mode, next press without clutch will turn on all the electric components, and need one more press to shut the system off.

Writing from my S-Cross experience!!
dudevarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2016, 11:44   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudevarkey View Post
If you don't press the clutch, the car will not start, but yes it is irritating to press the start/stop button twice to completely turn off after you go into Accessory mode. First press of start/stop button without engaging clutch will make the car enter Aux power/accessory mode, next press without clutch will turn on all the electric components, and need one more press to shut the system off.
So, has this made life easier or complicated?
You get into another key-less car and it could be an entirely different scene. You get into an ordinary car and you might find yourself pressing pedals twice or thrice / searching for buttons to push. Do you miss the simplicity / consistency of the old key based system?
Torqy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2016, 12:05   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The car will not die if you walk off with the key, it will beep for a while

Yes, I find this feature the most useful. It is of great help when you go back to your car after your supermarket visit.

Writing from my S-Cross experience!!
This topic has been beaten to death already. If you go through the previous pages, all the above points (and their derivatives) have been discussed. While I understand the convenience part for some of us, some of the points can lead to tricky situations (car remains on and can be driven off without key in car). And yes, I do find it irritating to press the button multiples to move from ACC->OFF, ON-ACC, etc. Unmindful I am, I keep pressing the clutch when all I want is the ACC mode.

Personally, I like the simplicity offered by the keys. While choosing a car, if I the KESS system is optional, I would be happy to forgo it (save some money/opt for something else if possible). For me, it is a feel good feature rather than a convenient one (I have a similar view about Sunroofs).
ashis89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2016, 16:11   #192
BHPian

There will be somebody sitting in the car and you want the ac to be running, that's why you want to keep the engine running when you are not in the driving seat? In this case irrespective of the ignition/key type, the car can be driven away without you. Hope this point also had been discussed in earlier posts.

Quote:
Personally, I like the simplicity offered by the keys. While choosing a car, if I the KESS system is optional, I would be happy to forgo it (save some money/opt for something else if possible). For me, it is a feel good feature rather than a convenient one (I have a similar view about Sunroofs).
In my opinion the following features are avoidable and money can be saved if they are optional.
1. Rain sensing wipers
2. Auto Head lights (unless they have a feature that shifts the light to low beam when a oncoming vehicle is detected)
3. Sunroof
4. Keyless start (good to have it, but can live without that)
5. Cruise control (unless you cruise often on expressways, for me it is of no use as I am driving in Kerala)
6. Engine start stop (car shuts off when idling in neutral gear and starts on engaging clutch - had this feature in my Quanto and the switch was permanently kept in off position. First reason - ac will not work, second- the idling practice for the turbo charged engine).
dudevarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2016, 16:34   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There will be somebody sitting in the car and you want the ac to be running, that's why you want to keep the engine running when you are not in the driving seat? In this case irrespective of the ignition/key type, the car can be driven away without you. Hope this point also had been discussed in earlier posts.
While the above is true, there are instances shared by fellow members, where person A has dropped person B and driven away while person B had the key all this time. Like it was shared earlier, Cruze has a visible warning message but no audible warning. So person A was drive away merrily without knowing about the missing key, provided he is not careful (I can be one of them).

Now imagine, if person B is dropped at the airport or he got into an important meeting where he can't disturbed when A discovers the mistake. You might think these are huge assumptions but have faced this in the real world. These situations are not possible if the car starts with a physical key.

Quote:
In my opinion the following features are avoidable and money can be saved if they are optional.
1. Rain sensing wipers
2. Auto Head lights (unless they have a feature that shifts the light to low beam when a oncoming vehicle is detected)
3. Sunroof
5. Cruise control (unless you cruise often on expressways, for me it is of no use as I am driving in Kerala)
6. Engine start stop (car shuts off when idling in neutral gear and starts on engaging clutch - had this feature in my Quanto and the switch was permanently kept in off position. First reason - ac will not work, second- the idling practice for the turbo charged engine).
to the above. These technologies do capture my attention regarding how they work, the hardware/software used, etc. I have used all of them in different cars that I have driven. But given an option, I would be happy to live without them.

Last edited by ashis89 : 22nd December 2016 at 16:35. Reason: Correcting my post
ashis89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2016, 19:36   #194
BHPian

1. Rain sensing wipers:
Agreed. You ought to know how to turn these on while driving if you should be out on the road
Disagree. They are an immense boon when it rains and they automatically turn on after a certain number of cycles of your wipers. Not to mention entering tunnels. But then again, on a well lit street, you could well be driving home without knowing your headlights are off, if you turned off auto headlights and forgot to turn them on(happened to me)
3. Sunroof
Seen this argument go both ways
Agreed. I've misplaced my key within one of my bags or with a friend especially after a long roadtrip. Only way to know is put everything back in the car and see if it starts
Something I can't do without on long drives(3hrs +) your foot really starts to hurt.
Haven't used this one so I dont know. But it has been known to save fuel

Last edited by studentonwheels : 22nd December 2016 at 19:37.
studentonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2016, 16:29   #195
Senior - BHPian

Saw this on youtube and I kind of agree to most of what he says. More electronics n the car means more expenses when they do go bust, which is the case with all electronics, sooner or later.

dass is offline   Reply With Quote