Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 10th December 2016, 16:08   #121
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Disadvantages of keyless engine start systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
2. Since we usually keep the key in our pocket, if I walk off for a small errand the car will die. Eg: If I stop somewhere and get out of the car while other passengers are waiting, I want the car to be on and the AC running. But if I forget to leave the fob, the car dies.
No it does not. I have done this several times.
The real problem is when
you get out with key and your family member moves off in the car. Restarting after switching off will be the grave situation you would be in.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2016, 16:11   #122
BHPian

Read through the comments and i figure the Keyless feature is trying to fix a non-existent problem. On top of that it has introduced a myriad of scenarios which the hardware / software will be busy checking...apart from the driver checking all through the drive whether he / she has the physical "device".
Torqy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2016, 18:48   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
No it does not. I have done this several times.
The real problem is when
you get out with key and your family member moves off in the car. Restarting after switching off will be the grave situation you would be in.
That would be dreadful. Imagine this:

Dude comes home to pick up his dad and uncle. He drives to his work place, gets down and his dad gets into the driver seat (all this without switching off the car). Dad and his cousin drives to meet their friend some 60 kms and for the first time switches off the car. Tried to lock the car and nothing happens. Then realizes that the key is with his son. Calls up his son who then drives there in another car to hand over the key. Expression on all their faces - Priceless.

This is based on a TRUE STORY. Happened to my cousin .

Although there are few cons, this is definitely an useful feature.
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2016, 01:57   #124
BHPian

IMO this keyless entry 'feature' is as useless as DRLs in our environment. Its just a nice to have feature adding hardly any value.

However, I find power windows useless too. It doesnt take much effort to roll up and down windows.

Last edited by saion666 : 11th December 2016 at 01:58.
saion666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2016, 03:29   #125
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by saion666 View Post
IIt doesnt take much effort to roll up and down windows.
I think its useful in scenarios where you want to roll down other windows. For example you and your buddies had an extremely spicy lunch, and as you drive back its getting uncomfortable due to that 'one' dude in the back seat.

Or you want to ask somebody for directions. You are sitting on the right, how do you reach the left window(not applicable if you drive something very small, or you are phelps)
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2016, 03:30   #126
psn
BHPian

I am experiencing Keyless entry and start function in my Cruze.
I did get into trouble once because of keyless entry function.
After office, as a habit, I went straight to the boot, without unlocking the car first. I had the key in my laptop bag, so the proximity sensor allowed me to open the boot. I put my bag in the boot, with the key fob in it, and closed the boot shut. After that the doors did not unlock, nor did the boot with the key stuck inside...Ooops!!. I had to leave the car in my office, go home in an auto and next day get the duplicate to open the boot.

But this was a one off case, and I have been more careful since then.
However, honestly, I have got used to this function, and using the key to lock and unlock the car now seems like a chore.

I believe, these days there are a lot of functions that are really not necessary, nor useful in anyway, but will eventually make us used to them, and eventually lazy.
Here is my list of features, which I feel are in this league:
1.Auto wipers
2.Auto headlamps
3.Power windows
4.Gesture control
5.Electrically adjustable seat without memory function
6.Auto seat belts
7.Electrically adjustable steering wheel
I am sure this list is longer...
psn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2016, 18:26   #127
BHPian

Exclamation Keyless entry cars vulnerable to a 'mystery hack'

Quote:
Investigators from the National Insurance Crime Bureau, a not-for-profit organization, said in an interview they obtained what they called the “mystery device” from a third-party security expert at an overseas company.

So far, the threat here may be mostly theoretical. The crime bureau said it heard of the device being used in Europe and had reports that it had entered the U.S., but said there are no law enforcement reports of a car being stolen using it in the United States.

During a two-week time period, NICB investigators tested 35 different makes and models of cars using the car-hacking device and were able to start and drive away about half the vehicles.
Source: http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...207-story.html

I am sure there are going to be lots of investigations, but there has to be continuous evolution in this field. As manufacturers bring new technology, thiefs are bringing themselves up to speed.

Last edited by autorahul : 11th December 2016 at 18:28. Reason: content added
autorahul is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2016, 20:08   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
What I am still confused about is - why can't the cars be designed to stop after some time/distance if the key is not inside? What would be the potential risks/thinking behind not programming it this way?
What if this time/distance cutoff places the car and it's occupants at a dangerous position on a busy road or intersection?

In the current system, the car would probably be stranded at a place where you have pulled over for some reason (read much safer in most scenarios than a fixed distance/time).
Maverift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2016, 20:46   #129
BHPian

Does someone have any idea what is cost of replacing a keyless module vs normal ignition system in India?.
The guy in video cites planned obsolescence as one of ways how dealers ultimately benefit from such complicated systems.

Last edited by born_free : 11th December 2016 at 20:50.
born_free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2016, 21:40   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by born_free View Post
The guy in video cites planned obsolescence as one of ways how dealers ultimately benefit from such complicated systems.
Scotty Kilmer is very entertaining but he's also a total technophobe. I'm yet to see a single video from him that praises new technology.

If he had his way, we'd all be hand cranking our engines.
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2016, 22:19   #131
BHPian

The only real need for keyless entry go is in freezing winters and when you are wearing multiple layers and thick gloves, it's hard to take out your key, press the unlock button, insert and turn to start the engine, with gloves on. Removing the gloves can be painful and uncomfortably cold.
sivasain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2016, 23:37   #132
Senior - BHPian

I have keyless entry system in my car and I appreciate the convenience it offers. Yes, there are some pitfalls (like walking away with the key in your pocket when someone else is driving), but the car flashes a warning the moment it happens. We just need to pay attention. I don't really think much about the threat of the car being stolen - it's not as if cars without the system are theft-proof. If anything, thieves have many more years of experience in stealing a non keyless entry car.

That being said, it is not an essential feature for me and I can live without it in my next car, if need be.

I think keyless entry cars have one advantage in India. If you get into a fender-bender with some thugs, they can't take away your keys from the ignition
StarrySky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2016, 00:00   #133
BHPian

I have a keyless entry in my Ecosport. Although it is convenient to use with single tap locks and proximity sensor for switching on the engine their are few pit falls to be understood with atmost care. I was new to this and have had some minor problems initially such as walking out of car with key in pocket. But, once I got used to this it was an easy go to use this feature.
RapidRavi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2016, 08:41   #134
Sip
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post

This is not a random blog from from Johnny on the net. It is by the National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB), a nonprofit insurance industry organization.
What a topic chosen buddy! This topic IMO was one of most eleigibles for deliberations at this forum. It seem feasible for a technically updated bad guy to steal a car in far more convenient manner.

OK let's assume that the act of deciphering the device occurs outside the car; now if one keeps the key fob in small metallic box/ container while ouside the car the possibility of deciphering is ruled out! Though at times it may not be practical besides diluting your convinience
Sip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2016, 10:14   #135
Senior - BHPian

open trunk with foot:

Yes, you really can open the rear trunk with a kicking motion. It is now standard in some cars, yet to make it to India in any of the cars though. You can install this in some of the BMWs , Audis and Volvos as they do come fitted with these.

Here is a demo from a ford:

This I think is a truly useful feature.
govigov is offline   Reply With Quote