Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 11th January 2017, 22:10   #31
BHPian

Smile Re: A Tribute to my Dad - Maruti Zen Restoration

Excellent work Saket Sir. The transition from LX to VXi is very cleanly done. Also that 16V Smart-i decal(is it from the Old Baleno?) is a nice touch.

You are lucky that your MASS is passionate, and is supportive in such endeavors. In NCR, cars like Zen and the 800 don't command such respect, and they don't even bother servicing them properly.

-Anant

PS: Impressed by the job they have done on your car, and the enthusiasm with which they have been maintaining Leoshashi's 800, I have planned to send my car(a 2005 M800) for restoration to M/s Maruti Automobiles, Ranchi.

Last edited by baby_antu : 11th January 2017 at 22:22.
baby_antu is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2017, 22:48   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: A Tribute to my Dad - Maruti Zen Restoration

Got this nice sporty pedal kit for the Zen from Maruti. Thanks to Shashi again for spotting and picking 'em up.

A Tribute to my Dad - Maruti Zen Restoration-image-rotated.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 20th July 2017 at 23:25. Reason: Rotated on request.
saket77 is offline   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2017, 04:18   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitsinha0280 View Post

Kindly get the Michelins changed. IIRC, they are the same tyres which had cracking issue .
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...e-failure.html (Michelin XM1+ Tyres: Age-related damage or failure?)
His Zen got new rubber last weekend. More pics and his review should come out soon.

A Tribute to my Dad - Maruti Zen Restoration-20170803-04.09.37.jpg

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2017, 00:09   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry that I couldn't update this thread earlier.

Replacing the tires isn't a big news, but replacing Michelins with Good Year hi-miler tires could be.
After all, how many BHPians would replace premium tires to get back to medium hard compounds? That's blasphemy, isn't it?

Knowing pretty well that Michelins would win hands down when it comes to sheer grip levels, I still went for Good Years. This is only because I feel shortchanged by the representatives (read dealers) of Michelin as I sincerely believe that the previous failure was a manufacturing defect in the tires. My tires were among the first batches of XM 1+ ; made in Thailand which suffered strange identical failures. I got hold of same vintage tires in another car in my society and found identical failures on all 4 tires too. To top that, the dealership was totally uncooperative. Thanks, but you have had all the money that you would in my life. No more Michelins. It's all well documented on the forum.

Went for GY. Comes very reasonably priced for Rs. 2350/- a piece (much lesser than what I paid 5+ years ago for the outgoing Michelins) with unconditional warranty. I have driven less than 100 kms hence I am sure that the true character of the tires is yet to be discovered. I believe there might not be much to write about as these are medium compound rubbers. Grip is adequate, and the comfort factor is average. Road noise initially had gone down a bit compared to the older tires. I hope it provides a good balance between grip and longevity.

Regards,
Saket.

Last edited by saket77 : 4th August 2017 at 00:11.
saket77 is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2017, 23:27   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Another update:

Felt that the clutch cable needed lubrication and there was a feeling of the steering getting stuck at times. Needed to tackle these issues hence Shashi took the car to Maruti Automobiles. The clutch cable was lubricated and the steering column was lubricated which helped both cases.

However, during the general inspection before delivery, a couple of gear oil leaks were revealed. The culprit were 2 failed oil seals which were replaced. Some quantity of gear oil needed to be topped up due to loss by leaks. Total bill at Maruti was Rs. 590/-

The car was also due to alignment and wheel balancing after the recent tire change and the car was taken to Om Sai tires (bariatu) where the job was done. Total damages - Rs. 500/-
Attached Thumbnails
A Tribute to my Dad - Maruti Zen Restoration-leak1.jpg  

A Tribute to my Dad - Maruti Zen Restoration-leak-2.jpg  

A Tribute to my Dad - Maruti Zen Restoration-align.jpg  

saket77 is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote