Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 17th January 2017, 12:36   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default 48V electrical systems are coming

http://jalopnik.com/everything-you-n...olt-1790364465

Quote:
With each passing year, new cars get more complicated and high-tech. The new higher power requirements associated with these advancements—along with ever-stricter emissions regulations—are why 48-volt electrical systems are spreading like wildfire, with experts expecting the tech to make its way into one-fifth of all cars sold globally by 2025.
In my view this is a win win idea - just like 12V vs 6V in bikes, increasing voltages in cars will significantly simplify design and reduce the requirements for wiring. 4X increase in voltage will mean that current will reduce by 4X, reducing the need for thickness for thick wires, and other circuitry.

For example, as an ICE head, this is nothing but good news - currently HU's are limited to around 14W RMS/Channel at best because of supply voltage limitations. In most of the amps, a big chunk of the cost goes into designing reliable DC to DC converters to generate higher voltages needed for higher power. If you have 48V on tap, you can generate 200+ W directly off the power supply without any booster circuitry! You would also need thinner wires for the same output!

The article mentions similar impacts for hyrbid systems, electrically powered components(such as Power steerings) etc

Can't wait for it to get deployed asap!

Last edited by greenhorn : 17th January 2017 at 12:38.
greenhorn is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2017, 16:28   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: 48V electrical systems are coming

Thanks for the article, it also talks about the hybrid systems and how 48 V circuit fits in well.
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2017, 21:06   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Higher voltage automotive electrical systems were proposed in the 90s. But for various reasons never got off the ground.

Now with hybrids/ electrics on everybody's drawing board, higher voltage systems are getting a second chance. Let's see what happens.

Incidentally the 48 V system is more accurately called a 52V or 54V system. The fact that we call our current system 12V rather than 13V or 14V is for historical reasons/ convention.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2017, 09:49   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

I can see the benefits of a 48V system, in reduced wiring costs and weight (thinner wire), increasing demand for power (remember at one time a 22A Dynamo was considered to be enough, today we have 60/100A alternators), and even more so if we go electric or hybrid. At one time car electrics used to be 6V, then we went to 12V, so the switch to 48V is a logical progression. Even today many trucks and heavy transport vehicles are 24V, with two 12V batteries in tandem in a series connection.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2017, 11:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

I can see one problem though: more chances of fires.
Higher voltages imply higher current if short condition arises.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2017, 07:41   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I can see the benefits of a 48V system, in reduced wiring costs and weight..

Even today many trucks and heavy transport vehicles are 24V, with two 12V batteries in tandem in a series connection.
Does this mean that cars (non-electric) would have 4 batteries ? Wouldn't that increase the weight?
samaspire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2017, 10:03   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Does this mean that cars (non-electric) would have 4 batteries ? Wouldn't that increase the weight?
I think we will have batteries with more or less the same size but with a lower Amp rating.
Holyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2017, 10:09   #8
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Not exactly!! The article states a change in the electric system. Meaning a single cell that is capable of generating the 48v. For Example-from the link in the OP The delphi uses Lithium-ion cell to generate the 48v.
blackbandit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2017, 10:53   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbandit View Post
Not exactly!! The article states a change in the electric system. Meaning a single cell that is capable of generating the 48v. For Example-from the link in the OP The delphi uses Lithium-ion cell to generate the 48v.
I think you are mixing up the cell and battery. Lead-Acid cells are 2.2v (ie 2V nominal), and Li-ion 3V. Thus in either case it will have to be a battery.

So in a PbAcid system for 48V you will have 24 cells, and in a Li-ion 16!
sgiitk is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2017, 11:06   #10
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I think you are mixing up the cell and battery. Lead-Acid cells are 2.2v (ie 2V nominal), and Li-ion 3V. Thus in either case it will have to be a battery.

So in a PbAcid system for 48V you will have 24 cells, and in a Li-ion 16!
Sorry sir !! i dint go on to the technical aspect here. What i meant was a battery itself but went wrong in terming it. A single battery is what i meant. Anyways thanks for correcting it.
blackbandit is offline   Reply With Quote