Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 24th October 2006, 20:22   #1
BHPian

Hi Friends
I own a Swift VXi with ABS, since 4 months. Changed to GIII Potenza 185/70 R14 the very same day. The car has been wonderful, esp on the highways. However the only cribs with the car are i. Lack of low end torque, ii. Blind spots.
I guess cannot do much about the latter. Hopefully some of the gurus over here could enlighten me on some mods which could increase the low end torque.
Currently its such a pain to drive the car in heavy traffic conditions in mumbai, and there are times when I end up driving in first gear a lot (and at times have to even ride the clutch in first gear). Is it just me or are others facing the same issue with swift.
Thanks
Anand
talk2anand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2006, 03:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

The simplest solution is to get yourself headers designed for low down torque(normally longer primaries and shorter secondaries in 4x2x1 design). If you can shell out few more bucks, get yourself an aftermarket standalone ecu and map the fuel and ignition curves so as to generate more power in the low end...
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2006, 06:41   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by talk2anand
Hi Friends
Currently its such a pain to drive the car in heavy traffic conditions in mumbai, and there are times when I end up driving in first gear a lot (and at times have to even ride the clutch in first gear). Is it just me or are others facing the same issue with swift.
I agree with you that the low end torque is less, but then I suppose, the engine has been designed to perform like that in Traffic situations and that is a selling point for SWIFT. I do not see it as a pain and am finding it comfortable driving in Chennai Traffic at peak hours.
goldsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2006, 07:14   #4

Default low end torque

yes , I agreee it is a genuine problem with most swifts . The low end torque is poor and driving in B'lore traffic is difficult .
I am considering opting for Somender Singh's cylinder mod , which increases the low end torque and drivability of the vehicle
swifts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2006, 08:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hi talk2anant,

I own swift in bangalore for over 7 months now covered 10,800KM driving, in city driving i have same issue, @service stations they improved its pickup but not much use. we have to struggle with cluth and 1st gear in traffic jams, this is swift's one of the weakness i noticed. MUL and mechanics say this is how it works, they say on higway its great car, for city driving its not ideal,

Coming to your point I suggest you either try with K and N filter which will improve the pick up or extra fitment for the filter/blower something like that then it gets very good pickup, but doing some modification warranty is void, there are people here who did modifications and i saw couple of swift near my office with such modifcations and i can see greatpickup, I didn't do since I don't wanted to loose warranty and my vehicle most of the times chauffer driven, so i am feeling the pain of driving

Regards,

Ravi.
ravibhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2006, 17:17   #6
BHPian

This is another option you can go for new camshaft lobes .
revvedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2006, 19:16   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvedup
This is another option you can go for new camshaft lobes .

Hi,

Would you mind elaborating on that. What exactly do you mean.

Viper
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2006, 23:55   #8
Senior - BHPian

Yeah...what do you mean by camshaft lobes???
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2006, 00:16   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsun
I agree with you that the low end torque is less, but then I suppose, the engine has been designed to perform like that in Traffic situations and that is a selling point for SWIFT. I do not see it as a pain and am finding it comfortable driving in Chennai Traffic at peak hours.
Thanks everybody for the replies. I am still trying to digest these and frame my replies
Ref: goldsun, I was a bit curious about your point about the design of engine (with less low end torque being the selling point of swift.
talk2anand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2006, 01:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

@talk2anand:I've got one word for u : HEADERS.
Quote:
I agree with you that the low end torque is less, but then I suppose, the engine has been designed to perform like that in Traffic situations and that is a selling point for SWIFT.
Wat do u mean??
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2006, 01:21   #11
Senior - BHPian

may be the easiest answer to your problem could be to increase your idle rpm to allow you to roll the car forward by just releasing the clutch instead
of using both the clutch and accelerator
Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2006, 01:32   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
may be the easiest answer to your problem could be to increase your idle rpm to allow you to roll the car forward by just releasing the clutch instead
of using both the clutch and accelerator
But then, he'll lose major fuel when he's idling in traffic jams/signals.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2006, 03:38   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

you can try a shorter final drive ratio.

diffs from esteem (carb/mpfi) , M1000 and zen shouldbe interchangable.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2006, 06:58   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by talk2anand
Ref: goldsun, I was a bit curious about your point about the design of engine (with less low end torque being the selling point of swift.
I stand corrected as to it is not "the low end torque", rather read it is "the ideal torque / power at low speeds". Visit the link given below, where the the torque graph indicates that it is not too low at low speeds and I have reproduced what maruti claims.

Excerpts from the link http://www.marutiswift.com/html/FeaturesALTech32.asp
"... The engine is tuned with an emphasis on performance at low and mid-range speeds (crucial in stop-and-start urban driving situations ... "

Last edited by goldsun : 26th October 2006 at 07:01.
goldsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2006, 10:06   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
you can try a shorter final drive ratio.

diffs from esteem (carb/mpfi) , M1000 and zen shouldbe interchangable.

Hi,

Do you really think he will do all that to a new car and that tpp with such little knowledge. There are plenty of other things that should be done before opening a gear box and swapping parts.

I suggest you give a more practicle idea.

Viper
viper is offline   Reply With Quote