Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 30th January 2017, 17:23   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Not-so-major accident in Mercedes E-Class. 15 lakh rupees & 6 months before car returns!

Is Luxury cars + nationalised bank insurance a good combination?

Don't know if SBI Insurance has a tie up with this Mercedes showroom. Usually when it's a insurance company that has a tie up then I hope there isn't so much drama.

At times the dealers make life difficult for owners choosing to go with the insurance provider whom they don't have a tie up with.
kiku007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2017, 17:33   #17
BHPian

Default re: Not-so-major accident in Mercedes E-Class. 15 lakh rupees & 6 months before car returns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Honestly, does this look like damage that'll cost a whopping 15 lakh rupees to repair? Or 6 months to come back home? This car has an IDV of 23 lakhs; shockingly, the dealer once said it'll cost 19 lakhs to repair!
Actually, some taxis run in this condition only without bothering!
I would not expect the bill to cross anything above a lakh! (even that is stretching the imagination, considering the brand name)
However, if you put 10K for screw adjustment, and list it as a work item, then definitely such huge bill is justifiable.
Reminds me of the old joke - $1 for turning the screw, $999 for knowing which screw to turn!
When it comes to luxury brands the mechanics outside have no idea of the internals, and nowadays with all the electronics, it really requires some special knowledge which the manufacturer keeps as secret to charge the customer something like royalty payments.

I pity this customer who had to go through all the trauma for 6 months having endless discussions with the dealership, insurance just to make sure that the vehicle comes back in full shape.

A basic question comes to my mind: Luxury brands charge a heavy premium for their vehicles. A Toyota would charge half that price, but reliable and service is not a gamble like this. Why would not the luxury brands too improve on this basic stuff? Customer experience?
hybridpetrol is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2017, 17:48   #18
BHPian

Normally all parts replaced would be given back. Do we know whether it was done in Soumya Nambiar's case? Secondly, the service advisor would have to explain the reason for replacement. This is done in case of routine service, but i am not sure whether it holds good for accident cases.
While owners do question parts replacement when paying from their pocket; it has been seen that they can be magnanimous when it is paid for by insurance. It may not be true in this case, but it does happen most of the time. And if the owner is not particular, the rip off takes place - only it is the insurance company that gets ripped off. The service advisors have two hats - one for owner paid repairs and the other for insurance paid repairs. Seen this umpteen times and is also seen in the health care sector and within limits in the service and hospitality sectors too.

Last edited by earthian : 30th January 2017 at 17:54. Reason: added word 'care'
earthian is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2017, 17:51   #19
BHPian

The long list of parts replaced is hard to relate to the damaged car in photos . I wonder what goes inside these luxury vehicles.

I believe that auto-insurance companies hire experts for claim settlement profile. The ones with in-depth knowledge and tons of experience. I don't think it is that easy to fool them (by inflating the cost or by passing on not required repairs).

Doesn't look like a fraud also, as higher management (HO) of insurance company was involved. More people involved less chances of a fraud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Although the accident is minor (as in no injuries to the passenger), the damage to the car was quite severe.
This brings me to the only reason as quoted above.
Moto_Hill is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2017, 19:22   #20
Senior - BHPian

I agree with androdev, smartcat and Moto_Hill and their respective points of view.
A couple of observations, nonetheless:

A)
IF it had been an ubiquitous hatchback or sedan, similar damage may occur under similar circumstances.
GTO
- this person has not really elaborated on anything more than the fact that he drove over a stone. To what extent, did the stone really impact the under-body, was left unsaid, by him.
Going by the list of parts and consumables - the impact caused damage to the suspension, chassis, door, headlights - a cascading list of possible parts that can get damaged in rapid succession when driving over a stone, at speed. The survey was done in the presence of the owner, and the owner has not really had any valid technical reasons to disagree , one might surmise, that there's more to the tale than the owner's say-so. Thus visible damage from a frontal view (as shared by the owner for this forum's consumption) is not an adequate indicator of real damage to the vehicle.

B) Sticker shock effect (19 lakhs! for what's visibly a torn bumper cover??)

Let's face it. Parts for such high end cars don't come cheap. In fact for lower-end cars as well (the swifts, i20s, i10s , Ritz's etc) , this kind of damage , will cost a packet. But their parts are cheaper. And even if the work gets done at the dealer, the repair costs don't cause sticker shock to the average person.
joybhowmik is offline   (12) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2017, 19:56   #21
BHPian

I think the best approach is to pay higher insurance premium for a max IDV.
Use it for two or three years and by that time the bumper/body will normally accumulate a few scratches/dents .Then declare it as total loss and claim the IDV
anish5225 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2017, 20:16   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
If Lexus offer good hybrids and the same levels of customer satisfaction which Toyota does, their sales are going to improve like crazy.
Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Looks like the stone was quite large (stone height above the front bumper level) and it is likely to have ripped up the under-body of the car. That explains the multi-page parts list and Rs. 14 lacs bill for parts alone. Although the accident is minor (as in no injuries to the passenger), the damage to the car was quite severe.
Agree. The damage internally or structurally or to the electronics might be more than what is visible. Probably using a non-dealer insurance company added to the woes. The IDV seems rather low - hazards of cutting on insurance and then it comes to bite you one day. I will resist the temptation of commenting on Mercedes' fleecing policies as I don't own one and we haven't heard the dealer's side of the story yet. Anyway I don't think they care for the bad press because the status symbol is too alluring to many and customers will continue to flock.
V.Narayan is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2017, 20:40   #23
BHPian

My two paisa, after going through this thread:
  1. As some members have pointed out, the accident seems minor, however the damage could have been severe. Underbody pics could have helped better to understand the damage.
  2. Even if this would have been a regular hatchback, it is a normal practice to include each and everything possible in the estimate to get a bigger envelope of funds approved from insurance provider.
  3. What surprises me is where is the premium experience after buying such a premium car? Arguments, 6 months to repair the car and worst of all no support from the manufacturer! If I would have been the customer, I would have sued all three dealer, insurer and manufacturer.
  4. There could be a possibility of dealer adding some jobs and replacing certain parts to make a quick buck. If the parts are not returned / broken after repair survey then they might be sold off to scrap dealers.
  5. After reading this, even if I have the money to buy such a car, I will not buy it, the experience is worse than some of the regular manufacturers.

Last edited by PraNeel : 30th January 2017 at 21:02.
PraNeel is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2017, 20:51   #24
Senior - BHPian

The story is only half said. Could you please post pictures of the under body ?

A pair of headlamps costs 3 Lacs !!

I am sure that the bill can be cut to half, if done at a reliable garage. Does Mercedes allow over the counter parts sale ?

Last edited by F150 : 30th January 2017 at 20:59.
F150 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2017, 21:01   #25
Senior - BHPian

Right from Mercedes to Skoda to Honda to Kawasaki, not just cars, not just automobiles, you name it from apartments to credit cards, aircraft to engineering college, anything & everything there's always a rip off. In the forth coming years, there will be atleast few unforgettable incidents in every individual's life where they would've been ripped of despite being alert.

So doesn't such things happen out of India? Ofcourse it does. Will share 2 simple incidents here that are totally irrelevant, but, the outcome is something made me to think

Place - Subway, Mall of America, MN
Ordered a 12" veggie delight & said "large coke no ice"; but the guy had already dispensed ice cubes on coke. I was expecting him to remove the ice & give me. Instead he threw away the entire large soda, gave me a fresh large soda in new glass without ice.

Place - Ritz Camera, MN
Ordered a set of 36mm film to be developed & said no borders. Next day, she gave me the pictures WITH white frame background. When I immediately pointed out the frame, she agreed & owed an apology. Then she asked if I can come next day & she would've finished the work without the white frame. I disagreed; then she threw another offer - wait for another 1 hour & she'll get it done (I was beyond their closing time when this was being discussed); I let it go; then finally she offered a 50% discount on the work for making the mistake. Got a $12 work done < $7 including tax.

If one observes why such things happen, it's quite evident that such things prevail primarily due to ever procrastinating justice & lethargic attitude of law or govt bodies. This advantage is taken over by most people for practicing unethical business. After all, who has time to spend a day every month at court to hear "adjourned" & manage the lawyer fee? On the other side there's a group of people specifically to face all these hearing every month & get paid for doing this, while, we on the other side unsure on verdict hoping to hear a progress every year!!

PS - Let's keep things simple & talk straight forward here & not about the under table business

Last edited by aargee : 30th January 2017 at 21:03.
aargee is online now   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2017, 21:23   #26
BHPian

Sure agree to most of these posts. Does look unreasonable. More importantly really cannot make out the actual damage to the car. Some items like the number board at 10k stick out like a sore thumb.
The dealership experience and the SBI insurance experience seems really bad and that alone has left a bad taste. 80k out of pocket finally is not bad at all on a 15 lakh bill.
Everyone buying these cars should opt for return to invoice insurance for 5 years. That's the Star Platinum. There are I think only 3 insurance companies tied up with MB,Bajaj Alliance, Cholamandal and Reliance.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2017, 21:51   #27
Senior - BHPian

I think posting just the frontal damage pics is unfair when the underbody has taken the maximum hit. A large stone can rip the underbody apart.

With luxury brands, spare parts and replacement parts will not come cheap. First of all these are super luxury goods. Marks up generally high and parts are generally imported. So add transportation and import duties on top of the generous mark ups. When parts are so expensive, labour charges are also proportionately high. Lastly the Indian Govt. wants its share of blood (1.8L in service tax and VAT in this case).

My X3 had some minor damages to the front end when I accidentally hit a dog at 80 kph. The front bumper with its parking sensors, fog lamps and headlamps washers had to be replaced. Total bill came to 2.20 Lakhs. Imagine if bigger hardware like head lamps, intercooler, radiator, AC condensor etc... had to be replaced. Each and every part is imported.

Not-so-major accident in Mercedes E-Class. 15 lakh rupees & 6 months before car returns!-img_20160911_074609.jpg

If you want peace of mind, buy the maximum coverage you can from your insurer. That also comes at a price. Take all these covers for 5 years and you'll end up feeling ripped off if there wasn't any accident.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 30th January 2017 at 21:55.
Santoshbhat is online now   (32) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2017, 22:00   #28
BHPian

I think the title is bit misleading. Seeing the replacement list, it is not a minor hit, the underbody of the car has taken a good whack. And for cars this expensive it is always better to replace the parts with damage than try to salvage with old parts. One, if there is any problem post repair, it will be nearly impossible to avail insurance again.

Looks can be deceiving.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-motors-2.html (Mercedes E-Class Accident: Unhappy with repair experience at T&T Motors)

Another example of inflated initial estimate.

Last edited by ecenandu : 30th January 2017 at 22:09.
ecenandu is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2017, 22:02   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post

Place - Subway, Mall of America, MN
Ordered a 12" veggie delight & said "large coke no ice"; but the guy had already dispensed ice cubes on coke. I was expecting him to remove the ice & give me. Instead he threw away the entire large soda, gave me a fresh large soda in new glass without ice.

Place - Ritz Camera, MN
Ordered a set of 36mm film to be developed & said no borders. Next day, she gave me the pictures WITH white frame background. When I immediately pointed out the frame, she agreed & owed an apology. Then she asked if I can come next day & she would've finished the work without the white frame. I disagreed; then she threw another offer - wait for another 1 hour & she'll get it done (I was beyond their closing time when this was being discussed); I let it go; then finally she offered a 50% discount on the work for making the mistake. Got a $12 work done < $7 including tax.
Where is the RIP off? In fact you were served well.
Quote:
After all, who has time to spend a day every month at court to hear "adjourned" & manage the lawyer fee? On the other side there's a group of people specifically to face all these hearing every month & get paid for doing this, while, we on the other side unsure on verdict hoping to hear a progress every year!!
Things have changed a lot in the past decade. For the benefit of community, if anyone of you faces any kind of problem as a consumer, please file a complaint with Consumer Compalints Redressal Forum. Link
The complaint can be for small purchase to a big one. They have been quite helpful to some folks.
Secondly no need to go to a regular court. File a petition / case in consumer court. One can present his case himself without the need of a lawyer. Though requires some time and effort is not too much difficult.

Last edited by GTO : 31st January 2017 at 10:02. Reason: Typos
PraNeel is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2017, 22:08   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraNeel View Post
Where is the RIP off? In fact you were served well.
That is exactly the point he is trying to make, strict laws leading to better consumer service
arvind71181 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote