Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Closed Thread

Old 25th October 2006, 14:22   #1
BHPian

Guys,

My car is seriously down with a major problem which unfortunately the Maruti Guys are not able to resolve.When ever,braked in neutral at speeds of 100 Km/h the car engine stops running and i have to start all again.The maruti guys have replaced the clutch gasket,engine head gasket but still the problem persists.

Guys please help me as the problem is becoming very serious and i am facing hell a lot of problem when travelling.
Old 25th October 2006, 15:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

Call Krupesh Patel of Electra automotive at 9884049268.
He can help u out.
Old 25th October 2006, 15:28   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raajiv
Guys,

My car is seriously down with a major problem which unfortunately the Maruti Guys are not able to resolve.When ever,braked in neutral at speeds of 100 Km/h the car engine stops running and i have to start all again.The maruti guys have replaced the clutch gasket,engine head gasket but still the problem persists.

Guys please help me as the problem is becoming very serious and i am facing hell a lot of problem when travelling.
Hey,

For starters why the hell would you put the car in neutral @100kmph speeds are you looney. Have you not heard of engine braking. Coming back to your point do as Nitrous suggested.

Viper
Old 25th October 2006, 15:53   #4
BHPian

Viper,

When i brake from 100 normally , i shift to neutral and then brake then i shift it a lower gear for low speeds in case of any mad animal or a two wheeler crossing the road.
Old 25th October 2006, 15:59   #5
Team-BHP Support

By shifting to neutral at that high a speed your going to wear out your brakes pretty soon.
You should hold it in the gear and let the engine assist in braking and then shift to a lower gear when the speed reduces accordingly.
Also by shifting to neutral you will not have control of your vehicle.
Pls. try and avoid it.
Old 25th October 2006, 16:04   #6
BANNED

Thank you Vid6639, Raajiv please change your driving/braking style. You will thank us big time. Please gradually downshift gears if you need to slow down. Use brakes as less as possible to increase life of both pads and tyres.

Viper
Old 25th October 2006, 16:18   #7
rks
BANNED

As pointed out, do not shift to neutral at high speed --use engine braking. Secondly, if by any chance, your engine switches off while the car is moving and refuses to restart, do not switch off the ignition till the car has stopped -- your steering may get locked (I don't know if the steering lock happens only if you pull out the key, but why take a chance?).

Last edited by rks : 25th October 2006 at 16:19.
Old 25th October 2006, 20:34   #8
Senior - BHPian

Whatever people have said is true...

coming to the point....the engine should not be shutting down when go into nuetral...is your car idling properly at stand still?

EDIT: Just off the top of my head, has the carburettor been cleaned recently? If not, clean it and have it properly adjusted.

Drifter

Last edited by drifter : 25th October 2006 at 20:41.
Old 26th October 2006, 06:52   #9
Senior - BHPian

It's a cardinal sin to shift to neutral at 100 KM/H and that on an Omni !!! Never, ever commit such blunders and change your driving style...

And I'm wondering why you replaced clutch gasket,engine head gasket ? If that is solely due to the above mentioned problem then I would categorise you as a half-wit !!!

And you've drawn a blank on the vehicle details also...
Old 26th October 2006, 10:45   #10
Senior - BHPian

I totally agree with mithun.Why the hell have u replaced clutch,gasket,engine head gasket for the problem u have above mentioned?
All the above parts replaced have got nothin to do with engine shuttin down.
Carburator seems to be the problem here.
Old 26th October 2006, 12:30   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

man, raajiv, do not take your real car to be the lightning mcqueen. there is so much you have to learn in driving before you touch that car of yours again. please do take the advice given to you so far very seriously. no sane person would disengage gears at that speed, whether he has a merc or a 800. please always use the brake keeping the gear engaged & start downshifting as you brake.

your problem of the engine shutting off could be due to the vaccum pipes leaking. i am not an expert though. please contact a good mechanic. where do you live in chennai? pm me & i will suggest somebody for you. be careful, man.
Old 26th October 2006, 15:06   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper
Thank you Vid6639, Raajiv please change your driving/braking style. You will thank us big time. Please gradually downshift gears if you need to slow down. Use brakes as less as possible to increase life of both pads and tyres.

Viper
with what Viper says. Dont you think its madness and totally unsafe to shift to neutral at that speed? Please drive safe and use gear shift with min. brakes to reduce speed unless you have a lunatic trying to cross the road.
Old 27th October 2006, 09:31   #13
BHPian

Guys,

Thanks for all your advice. i Would seriously take it. As i have started driving just 6 months back,think it would not be that diffcult to change my driving style.
Now coming back to the problem,the problem has disappeared after cleaning the carb.Thanks for all your advice.
Old 27th October 2006, 11:05   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Guys,

Thanks for all your advice. i Would seriously take it. As i have started driving just 6 months back,think it would not be that diffcult to change my driving style.
Now coming back to the problem,the problem has disappeared after cleaning the carb.Thanks for all your advice.
Hi,

Good your problem i ssolved now go back to the Maruti service centre and fire them for taking you for a ride.Make a formal complaint in writing saying they could not solve your problem changed xyz parts when it was a dirty Carb and ask for a refund.

Viper
Old 27th October 2006, 11:09   #15
Senior - BHPian

Good to see it solved....

Drifter
Closed Thread