Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 1st March 2017, 19:42   #16
BHPian

Default Re: VW Vento - Engine oil leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringbh View Post
Thank you all for informative replies. Just came back from service center. Also, wrote strong but polite emails to customer care and service head.
Thank you for keeping us updated. Please let us know when the final diagnosis is done too. From the looks of it, I think this is the exact same issue with my car too.

Thank you

Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2017, 21:47   #17
BHPian

Oil leak via the rocker cover gasket is a known issue in the vw 1.6 tdi engines. There was a lot of discussion on international forums about this. The simplest cure was to replace the gasket alone.
This issue probably wasn't on the news in our shores because very few of Indian vw customers would pry open the plastic cover on top of the engine of a new car, to have a peek for whatever matter.
Many other finely running 1.6 tdi engined cars will be having the same leak. Now that warranty on models having these engines might be getting exhausted, the dealerships would be all the eager to diagnose and repair this with lot of replacement parts. Warranty repairs wouldn't give them a free hand, as warranty replacements need approval from their German headquarters.
crdi is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2017, 22:49   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Neat observation, that's the injector! So does that mean its an injector leak lol funny a VW workshop cant see so much details in person, compared to Mr. Boss.
One of my injectors was leaking fuel. For me, this was the case of faulty injectors being replaced for an out-of-warranty tdi.

I'll be interested to see where this goes.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2017, 11:21   #19
BHPian

Called the SA and he said he cannot give a time line of work to be done on vehicle.

Frustrated, I called service head, to ask for a replacement vehicle, and he said that tappet cover replacement will be done today and vehicle will be delivered tomorrow. Being done FOC under warranty.

Unless I see what has been done and what actually is the problem addressed, I have no clue.

In particular, how to ensure leak will not happen again? I guess we will never know?

Will update tomorrow with pictures.
stringbh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2017, 12:02   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringbh View Post
Frustrated, I called service head, to ask for a replacement vehicle, and he said that tappet cover replacement will be done today and vehicle will be delivered tomorrow. Being done FOC under warranty.
Wow... nice!

It's probably a good thing you wrote an email to customer car. Don't feel bad about it -- their 'typo' of 3,900 instead of 390 is enough for you to have been angry about!

Now here's what I would have said if you weren't getting this done FOC:

1) A lot of engines have very slow oil leaks. Oil tends to collect and it eventually looks worse than it actually is. Was your engine losing oil rapidly / dripping oil when parked? Or was this more a visual concern for you when you saw the engine?

2) I really don't see a need for the ENGINE COVER to be replaced! The only reason for that to be replaced would be if they found a crack or edge deformation on it (unlikely). Or if there is a manufacturing error with the (older) design.

3) Is the "Gasket" they are charging you for separately the one shown as part 21? Or is it another one? If its the former, it should probably be included in the cost of "engine cover" (part 20).

4) If you can locate the leak, sometimes a simple refitting of parts can solve it. Are you sure it is oil and not diesel from the injector?

5) Once the work is done FOC, do check which parts have been replaced (and i mean CHECK/LOOK, not ask). Repeat this check after a week to ensure there's no further leakage. That way you'll be able to see (a) what was necessary (b) if they've cut corners from their original suggested repair

Last edited by Rehaan : 3rd March 2017 at 12:04.
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2017, 17:25   #21
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to say this, but this seems to be flimsy design & engineering. How can a gasket be at fault when the design itself is faulty. VW has been engaging in a lot of cost cutting at the engine level in last decade and this seems to be their idea of a 'revolutionary' way ahead. Atleast the Japanese do not fiddle too much with their engine designs and thus have same reliability levels as they always had.
lurker is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2017, 12:09   #22
BHPian

Please see the pictures below. part 20 (cylinder head cover/tappet cover) has been changed. It is a brand new black cover now.

Rehaan, the gasket has been changed (but, it is not related to part 21 (cylinder head gasket), as confirmed by SA). The leak was first noticed by SA during regular service and I too saw few drops on the ground last week (overnight accumulation). But, it was not dripping.

They have done the work as promised and charged me only for one bolt (as attached in the bill). I got the general check up done, but it was of not much use. Change of part 20 is not mentioned in the bill or anywhere. So, if someday, I wish to sell this car, there is no proof of this change?

A big thanks to all for support. I see a bit of grease on the new cover. I hope it is nothing. I will keep a check on the engine for next few days.

Overall, happy with the result and faith intact in VW ! I feel, Indian professionalism is different from western world. Everything here works, but requires loads of patience and pampering
Attached Thumbnails
VW Vento - Engine oil leak-img_2832.jpg  

VW Vento - Engine oil leak-img_2833.jpg  

VW Vento - Engine oil leak-fullsizerender.jpg  

Last edited by stringbh : 5th March 2017 at 12:20. Reason: added info
stringbh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote