Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 9th March 2017, 20:10   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonov32 View Post
Hello,..........
This thread is turning out to be more strange than an episode of 'Stranger Things'. Now before many of us explode out of curiosity, could the OP let us know what the latest updates are? And answers to many questions posed by fellow BHPians would help alleviate our suffering and help us come to a conclusion.
racer_ash is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2017, 10:04   #47
BHPian

Default Re: Weird Grand i10 problem - Interior parts turning orange!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
I have friends who frequently smoke in their cars and I haven't seen any discolouration or staining.
There could be other factors. Do they tend to keep windows down? Do they tend to recirculate the air or set their ac's to allow in fresh air? How many cigarettes do they smoke?

We can eliminate paint type/chemical composition since it is not just the paint that is staining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
Also, nicotine stains are yellow
Nicotine stains can range from yellow to rust in hues.

Name:  C0197899Smoker_s_stained_moustacheSPL.jpg
Views: 2993
Size:  317.6 KB

Rust could be the culprit. However possibility seems remote. Why? Because very few AC components nowadays are made of Iron that can rust. They are mostly aluminium/copper. Even if there are iron components the rust getting dislodged from the system and landing so far away without any carrier particles like mist is remote. Maybe this possibility can be eliminated or confirmed by taping the AC vent louvres with masking take. Masking tape is made of paper and will surely pick up the stains in a few weeks if not days.

Last edited by BowMan : 10th March 2017 at 10:05.
BowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2017, 21:22   #48
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: Weird Grand i10 problem - Interior parts turning orange!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Is it possible that the AC compressor oil is getting vaporized and is getting deposited on these surfaces by the air flow from the AC ?
R134 AC compressor oil is colorless. I've seen a certifies AC mechanic pour it into the system while they worked on numerous cars.
msaudf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2017, 16:25   #49

Had the A/c cooling reduced before taking to the service centre? or refrigerant pressure reduced? May be refrigerant escaping from evaporator through tiny leakage. I read somewhere that usually the refrigerant is colourless but they add some dye for detecting leakages.

I feel this has to do something with below;

1) Ac compressor oil
2) Refrigerant
3) Mats (though sceptical)

Get the ac refrigerant pressure checked from some good local car A/c shop
Ottomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2017, 20:21   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowMan View Post

Rust could be the culprit. However possibility seems remote. Why? Because very few AC components nowadays are made of Iron that can rust. They are mostly aluminium/copper. Even if there are iron components the rust getting dislodged from the system and landing so far away without any carrier particles like mist is remote. Maybe this possibility can be eliminated or confirmed by taping the AC vent louvres with masking take. Masking tape is made of paper and will surely pick up the stains in a few weeks if not days.
You are right that the AC components are made of mostly aluminium. But I have observed that the crash bar behind the dashboard, the steering column components and several other parts are iron and unpainted. It's a statistical certainty that if you need rust in a car, you can get it from a million parts.

I am also waiting for updates on this issue. What has happened in the last week or so?
Ravi Parwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2017, 09:46   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't know what's it with Hyundai and plastics, My friend had faced a weird problem with his 2010 manufactured i20 car.

Not similar to this problem, but all the dashboard plastics, especially the AC vents started to melt slowly! Many of the centre console plastics started cracking and breaking. This happened a month after his extended warranty of 3 years expired. When he took it to the service centre, they told that they cannot do anything and he has to bear the cost of it which would sum up to 20+K. They told that it may be because he parks in open. but he always parks under the portico of his home. His home is not in any area close to pharma or chemical companies nor is his office.

With no response from the service centre, He made a complaint on Hyundai website. When he was contacted back via email, he prepared a good presentation of the problem. He also got e mail ids from his network (being in the automotive industry helped him) sent it to other higher management people. Then things started to move. The service centre guys came home, picked up the car, replaced it FOC and gave back the car.

Below are some of the slides of his presentation.

Weird Grand i10 problem - Interior parts turning orange!-1.jpg

Weird Grand i10 problem - Interior parts turning orange!-2.jpg

Weird Grand i10 problem - Interior parts turning orange!-3.jpg

Weird Grand i10 problem - Interior parts turning orange!-4.jpg

Weird Grand i10 problem - Interior parts turning orange!-5.jpg

Weird Grand i10 problem - Interior parts turning orange!-6.jpg

Weird Grand i10 problem - Interior parts turning orange!-7.jpg

Weird Grand i10 problem - Interior parts turning orange!-8.jpg

Weird Grand i10 problem - Interior parts turning orange!-9.jpg

Weird Grand i10 problem - Interior parts turning orange!-10.jpg

Weird Grand i10 problem - Interior parts turning orange!-11.jpg

He had previously given his car to the same dealer to remove a dead rat inside the AC duct. After removal they had put some disinfectant spray that would not only remove the smell but also keep rats away from the car. The service centre guys told him that the spray may be the reason behind this melting. After the replacement its now 3 years and the problem has not resurfaced
hemanth.anand is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2017, 11:13   #52
BHPian

Did a bit of googling on this and the only explanation I could find is A/C refrigerant leak. As @Ottomatic has mentioned, while the refrigerant is colourless, a dye which is usually green or orange in colour, is added to detect leaks in the refrigerant. What I find bizarre is that if the refrigerant is indeed leaking, then the Hyundai technicians should have figured it out straight away by looking at the orange tinge of the various interior parts. Also, there should be a perceptible drop in the cooling efficiency of the car.
sunny310c is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2017, 17:40   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This has got to be the strangest problem I've ever read about on Team-BHP.

Moving your post to a new thread.

My primary concern would be the health of this car's occupants. Clearly, something is being emitted here.
Hi GTO and all other esteemed members (please pardon me for not quoting everyone, i haven't been able to figure out Quote+ )

Thank you for creating a separate thread. This community been very useful during the whole process.

My sincere apologies to everyone for not replying earlier. I did not get the notifications for these for some reason and missed the comments. I was caught up in the process of setting up my first venture and it just slipped my mind to check on the earlier conversation. Thank you everyone for taking the time out to give your suggestions. I will reply to everyone and give the details of what has happened over the last one month.

This is how things transpired:

The dealership gave some kind of a verbal fitness certificate saying everything is fine with the car. Which honesty we did not believe. They again tried to blame the foot mats because that was the only 'non-genuine accessory'. However, when the car was bought, they had provided the mats and the problem was present even then. When we mentioned this the whole theory fell flat.

Then we asked them to mail us a copy of the fitness certificate and give a reason as to why this was happening. Like almost all of you guys pointed out the health of everyone involved is an important concern. We did a filter paper test on by partially blocking the AC vents using a paper but could not get the orange tinge on the papers. I would not rely much on this because my friend could only do this for a couple hours before giving up as he is a doctor has his PG exams coming up. A little constrained on time.

The orange tinges did not stop and we were forced to take the car to the dealership again. This is the Hyundai dealership in Karimnagar. I'm not sure of the name, but will check it out and let you guys know. So this time we decided to put all discussions on email to make sure we have a clear idea on what is happening. We gave them the vehicle and asked them to conduct thorough testing. They said they will send a team to 'test the atmosphere' to check for anything that was causing this. This process took a really long time. For the first few weeks no one came. Obviously, given that Hyundai must not have a atmosphere checking team handy! Not that I blame them, ut they didn't reply on the mail and kept stalling us.

Then we asked them to escalate the complaint to Hyundai and asked them to connect us to someone from the company because of the delays. Finally after multiple requests someone from the company got on a call. He had no clue what was happening. Made an extremely bad attempt at persuading us that they would look into the problem and then he said that he would visit and check himself.

The next fun part was the visit by Hyundai official. My friend went to the dealership, met the guy. They went to the car, the said official took an external round of the vehicle and said we will send the car for testing. Send where? Somewhere close by, where we were not allowed! My friend told him the problem is inside but he didn't even look there. My guess is he must have been a poor sales guy trying to close his monthly primary billing so did whatever he had to do to show good faith to the dealer as long his targets were being met.

Now a little about the testing that we could do. This should answer a few of the questions raised by all of you guys:

- the orange tinge does not scrape off
- it was so entrenched that they dealership guys have painted the car twice from inside
- the coolant colour is green. As far as we could check there is no fluid that is of orange colour.
- the only guess is that either the engine coolant (green in colour) or something in the air conditioner is changing colour because of temperature change. Thats the only possible explanation for the colour.
- someone mentioned that there can be an orange emission from the heater coil - im not sure if that can be factor even when the heater is not used.

There was another school of thought that maybe the vehicle is standing in the sun for too long. So we kept the vehicle in directly sunlight for a few days but this had no impact, putting to rest both the sunlight theory and the foot mat one.

So, post the official's visit the vehicle was allegedly tested again for something and the company found nothing. Then they asked us to take the vehicle back with a fitness certificate. We asked for a report of all the tests conducted so that we could understand the cause. But they provided any reports. Failing which my friend refused to take the vehicle back and was threatened by the dealership guy that they will start charging 'parking fee' if the vehicle is not taken back. Again we asked for the report and somewhere in the conversation he said they have done no testing! A major red flag for us.

Then my friend got very serious and told him that we shall be taking you to court and have the whole matter checked out legally and we ave your email which say you have done testing and what not while nothing was done. He asked for a couple of days to sort it out and finally gave an offer of buyback at a decent price.

So finally after a good couple years of going back and forth they agreed to buy the vehicle back at something above 4 lakh and provide an additional 50k discount on a new vehicle.

My friend decided to take the offer largely because of paucity of time. However, the matter stands unresolved. Also, the way Hyundai has handled the whole thing is nothing short of extremely unprofessional. You should have heard some of the threats the dealer staff made! But at the same time it came as surprise that they decided to buy the car back at an above market valuation price, undeniably proving that there was something wrong with the car.

I just hope no lasting damage was done to anyone who drove the vehicle for all this while.

Again I would like to apologize for this late post and would extend my thanks to everyone for chipping in with their suggestions!

God Speed!

Last edited by Rehaan : 13th April 2017 at 10:43. Reason: Splitting main resolution from other replies :)
Antonov32 is offline   (13) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2017, 18:05   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This has got to be the strangest problem I've ever read about on Team-BHP.

Moving your post to a new thread.

My primary concern would be the health of this car's occupants. Clearly, something is being emitted here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Strangest story yet so far in TBHP history?

Another suggestion: Has your friend or other regular users of this vehicle complained of any nausea, headaches, eye irritation or come down with any series of unexplained maladies? If this orange coating is so visible in the car, the same amount must be in the lungs, windpipe and ultimately bloodstream of the regular users! Which is a very scare thought altogether.

I would also suggest running the AC for some time and collecting the air inside for a proper air sampling and analysis at a competent laboratory. It should not cost too much but will conclusively prove the presence or lack of 'foreign' particles.
Hi,

My friend is a doctor and has been mindful of noting down any anomaly symptoms but they did not find anything unusual happening to anyone. But who is to say there can be no long term effects! The whole idea that this thing could be a potential carcinogenic was the biggest scare. Sadly, we have no way of testing what the chemical compound was and if it has any impact. Moreover, there was no smoking in the car so that couldn't have contributed to the deposits.

Another thing worth noting was that no one felt any skin discolouration. Again, not sure if this was because the exposure was lesser than the interiors or the orange thing doesn't stick with skin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
From these pics, I'm also thinking he is right about the a/c being the culprit. Reason? Just look at that perfume which holds on to the a/c vent. It almost looks like the colour of blood there. While other parts specially towards the rear are lighter in comparison.

That said, which brand of car perfume is that? Has he tried removing it? Could be one reason, as the a/c is blowing it every where.

Brands like Ambipur has been known to melt through plastics when leaked, and I am thinking it could be a possibility if he's been using one particular brand for a while. a/c works overtime in a hot state like Telangana
Hi,

we changed the perfume and the dispenser multiple times over the last couple years. I have seen the liquid causing localized discolouration of the area around the vent when there is a leak but a mass discolouration like this is very confusing to say the least. The a/c as you rightly pointed out works overtime so the culprit lies somewhere in it.

The plastic here is thermo-setting plastic, bakelite or some derived compounds so not sure if they can emit any fumes when heated / exposed to chemicals. It is supposed to be largely inert to most commonly available reagents. Again, whether testing of any potential reaction of internal plastics with any of the fluids in the engine bay is conducted, I doubt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Disagree with foot mats theory. Just remove them for a few days and see the result.
Hello,

We were unable to test the emissions. Not sure where to get the tests done. Neither was Hyundai as it turned out.

The fitness certificate was issued by the dealer. The company was trying to stay out of the business as much as possible.

The orange stuff is totally not sticky. It just a layer of discolouration that doesn't wash off, or clean. We tried household cleaners but to no avail. They had repainted the internal parts - pillars, exposed metal last time around to get rid of the colour. Honestly, i have also ever seen a paint changing colour unless exposed to a very strong reagent.

Thank you for your help!

Last edited by Rehaan : 13th April 2017 at 10:42. Reason: Splitting main resolution from other replies :)
Antonov32 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2017, 18:42   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonov32 View Post

The orange stuff is totally not sticky. It just a layer of discolouration that doesn't wash off, or clean. We tried household cleaners but to no avail. They had repainted the internal parts - pillars, exposed metal last time around to get rid of the colour. Honestly, i have also ever seen a paint changing colour unless exposed to a very strong reagent.

Thank you for your help!
Is the vehicle still with your friend or sold off?
As the prime suspicion is towards the AC, why not keep it off and drive it for some time and see if the coloration reappears or not.
abhishek46 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2017, 20:16   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Is the vehicle still with your friend or sold off?
As the prime suspicion is towards the AC, why not keep it off and drive it for some time and see if the coloration reappears or not.
They didn't have the stomach to prolong this any longer. Buying a creta since the deal appears to be OK. Moreover, it was my friend's wife who was the regular user and she wanted a replacement asap. So I doubt if we can find out anything more. I can ask for the USB or something else which was discoloured to check for any testing if someone knows where it could be done.

Thank you!
Antonov32 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2017, 21:22   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Glad to know that there was a buy-back and a decent deal.

Thanks for the updates
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2017, 00:08   #58
BHPian

I've been following this thread from the beginning. Glad to know that the ordeal of two years has finally come to an end, after selling the car. However for years to come, I won't forget this episode. The unsolved mystery of the Hyundai i10, with interiors that turn orange !! that even the greatest minds in Team-BHP couldn't comprehend.

I have a feeling that this will make it to the greatest unsolved mysteries of the world, in the lines of Bermuda Triangle, Taos hum, big foot and the like

Jokes apart, I am really unhappy about the way Hyundai has dealt with the case. They should have deployed their R&D experts and Scientists to find out the root cause. Hope such a bad experience does not repeat itself for any one in future.
BLACKBLADE is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2017, 08:18   #59
BHPian

Glad there was a somewhat amicable solution to the issue.
What do you think Hyundai or the dealer will do with the car. Will they sell it off to some unsuspecting customer?
I hope any customer has the foresight to look at service records and notice the multiple paint jobs and complaints logged.
BenjiRoss is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2017, 13:55   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Glad there was a somewhat amicable solution to the issue.
What do you think Hyundai or the dealer will do with the car. Will they sell it off to some unsuspecting customer?
An unsuspecting customer is the most likely possibility. I know of a case in Maruti where they painted the vehicle with a wrong shade. The colour on Form 21 and the actual colour was different. They bought the car back from the customer, gave him a new one and destroyed the said vehicle. After the whole experience I doubt if anything like that would be done by Hyundai.

At least searching for 'orange interiors i10' doesn't leave you in the middle of nowhere anymore!
Antonov32 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote