Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

View Poll Results: Cars are getting lighter generation by generation. Is it good or bad?
Good 150 49.02%
Bad 156 50.98%
Voters: 306. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17th March 2017, 09:35   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Cars getting lighter, generation by generation

In my opinion, since weight as well as light cars have their own advantages and disadvantages and both advantages and disadvantages are accepted universally to be true, scientifically, one cannot come to a conclusion in this debate.

Therefore, I "feel", it is only a opinion of what one "feels" is his priority decides whether a car need to be weight or light.

If I "feel", I need lighter car because of n reasons quoted earlier, I "think" Car need to be lighter. Alternatively, If I "feel" I need car with more weight because of m reasons quoted earlier, I "think" Car should have more weight

Finally, it is state of mind and heart that feels, in this debate is my opinion.
gkveda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2017, 14:57   #47

It isn't just the cars that are getting lighter.

Buildings, Wrist watches, Desktop PCs, Laptops, Cell Phones to even your microwave, everything has become lighter since they were first introduced. As engineers refine the design, they are able to get rid of unnecessary material/parts. A LaFerrari weighs less than a VW Jetta, does it make the LaFerrari an inferior vehicle?

As consumers, we must understand that old forts were built with heavy stone (no doubt they felt tough and well built) but practicality dictates that we move to light weight steel buildings to keep us safe from the elements and during earth quakes (as Japan). It is the same with cars.
AdityaRai is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2017, 16:00   #48

Post Re: Cars getting lighter, generation by generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahibrain View Post

2) Twigs of a tree landing on the car.
3) While washing the car.

I doubt (hope) that the current "light weight" models don't suffer from the above especially the points #2 and #3.
Ask me all about it!! #3 definitely happens with my Amaze. Press the knee a little deeper in to the wheel arc to wipe the center-top of the windshield and it goes in(not a dent but bends inward) and comes back with a POP !!
Hence have refrained my dad(shorter than me) from cleaning the car as the leaning force will be higher , who knows the wheel arc might not pop back!!

Once tried putting a kid(2 year old give or take 8-10kgs) on the roof and it almost became a saucer , god only knows what would happen with something a little more heavier.

Apart from all this also heard from a friend that his Amaze toppled and was on the roof all the while till help arrived. all the four occupants were able to drag themselves out with minor or no injuries.Still wondering how the top held itself though it looks soo flimsy. Might be its a hard frame and covered by thin sheet metal.
iceman07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2017, 17:18   #49
Senior - BHPian

The problem is exactly what the title of this thread states; cars getting lighter by the generation. Where as what the manufacturers should really be focusing on is cars being balanced better.

Maruti is the perfect example of a manufacturer making lighter cars. VW AG on the other hand; with their MQB platform, is an example of how a lighter car still has equally good balance. Still, I prefer the older generation VW cars to the MQB platform.
Epic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2017, 18:31   #50
BHPian

Lighter cars doesn't necessarily mean unsafe. Nor does it mean safe. Its the material that's being used which can define safety.

Well, heavier cars are unsafe for sure is something that I can say with the help of basic physics. Momentum is defined as "mv" mass x velocity of which "mass" plays an equally important part. On impact in time dt (a very teeny tiny amount of time say milli-second or even micro-second), the differential of this "mv" is highly magnified. The energy released in a high momentum collision is anybody's guess.

Coming back to lighter cars. It's not necessary that they're always safe. The tensile strength of the material and how it behaves when forces are exerted on it defines the safety. For material science engineers (or scientists?), a wet dream may be the lightest material which is variably tensile depending upon the impact or the force exerted. I'm not expert on deciding how the graph of deformation to impact strength would be, but yes a lighter material with such properties will keep you safe 'n' times better than a heavier block of iron or steel. Please remember, we're talking safety of people inside the car, not what happens of the car.

Edit: Saw the thread is couple of months old. But couldn't resist posting my, ahem, opinion.

Last edited by jagzrk : 5th May 2017 at 18:32. Reason: Disclaimer
jagzrk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote