Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2006, 16:14   #1
BHPian
 
nikkibike's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: QoAS
Posts: 523
Thanked: 2 Times
Default How do ABS work?!!

Guys, I came across an article which says that the ABS will get disturbed when we upsize or downsize tyres. It says that the tyre size is one of the main parameter in designing ABS of car. It clearly says that the ultimate performance of ABS will get tampered when upsized. Now the concern is that many of us have upsized the tyres of cars with ABS!! Is this a foolishness which everyone should be aware of?!!
nikkibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2006, 16:31   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
manveet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,062
Thanked: 585 Times
Default

Well to the best of my knowledge ABS has nothing to do with tire size.

ABS is discussed in detail on numerous threads. If you came across such an article please quote the source, else discussing this is pretty futile.

Regards
manveet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2006, 16:52   #3
BHPian
 
nikkibike's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: QoAS
Posts: 523
Thanked: 2 Times
Arrow ABS & tyre size

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet
Well to the best of my knowledge ABS has nothing to do with tire size.

ABS is discussed in detail on numerous threads. If you came across such an article please quote the source, else discussing this is pretty futile.

Regards
OK! The article I reffered here appeared in Overdrive's Oct 2006 issue. See the last one in "HELP DESK - Your problems solved". The 'titled' query is answered by one of the top and renowned automobile expert Mr. Tutu Dhawan!!! This is what made me start a thread to clear the doubt.
What say?!!
nikkibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2006, 17:07   #4
Team-BHP Support
 
theMAG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 7,038
Thanked: 1,476 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkibike
Guys, I came across an article which says that the ABS will get disturbed when we upsize or downsize tyres. It says that the tyre size is one of the main parameter in designing ABS of car. It clearly says that the ultimate performance of ABS will get tampered when upsized. Now the concern is that many of us have upsized the tyres of cars with ABS!! Is this a foolishness which everyone should be aware of?!!


The European Association of Automotive Suppliers and the International Organization of Motorvehicle Manufacturers mandate that a given ABS work for tyre sizes varying upto +- 25% from normal size, without recaliberation.

http://209.85.129.104/search?q=cache...n&ct=clnk&cd=1
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2006, 17:10   #5
BHPian
 
nikkibike's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: QoAS
Posts: 523
Thanked: 2 Times
Lightbulb Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG
The European Association of Automotive Suppliers and the International Organization of Motorvehicle Manufacturers mandate that a given ABS work for tyre sizes varying upto +- 25% from normal size, without recaliberation.

http://209.85.129.104/search?q=cache...n&ct=clnk&cd=1
g8888 info!! Thanks theMAG!
nikkibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2006, 22:34   #6
BHPian
 
ess_a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nai Dilli
Posts: 306
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkibike
The 'titled' query is answered by one of the top and renowned automobile expert Mr. Tutu Dhawan!!!

Tutu Dhawan!!! Expert!!! ??????????????
Man this guy is all hype and no substance... I know he has done something worthwhile with the vintages, but this guy doesnt even know what he is advising people... Anyone who has ever seen the "chalti ka naam gaadi" program on hindi CNBC will surely agree...
Just one of his advices... "Any and i mean ANNNYYY new car/bike is better than any other existing model (same or different make) COZ it has new TECHNOLOGY... Now what he means by this " new technology" is never explained.. As for mileage figures he says "Company ka dawa ki yeh 50 se 55 tak ki average nikalti hai".. Arrey bhaiya if have not tested them, then why go on saying something you arent even sure of... Company to kuch bhi "dawa" karti hai!!!
As for helping out people with selecting cars/bikes, he gives them the entire ex-showroom price range of the respective models, the "dawa" figures and says drive them and select!! Now one may ask that what new knowledge has he added?? All this info is on the car manufacturer's website...
For more gyaan tune into CNBC hindi on sunday 9.30 pm!!!!
ess_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2006, 03:57   #7
BHPian
 
Pankaj401's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bangalore, India
Posts: 216
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Tutu Dhawan!!! Expert!!! ??????????????
My sentiments exactly!
Pankaj401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2006, 06:03   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
iraghava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bhaiyyaland
Posts: 8,028
Thanked: 154 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ess_a
Tutu Dhawan!!! Expert!!! ??????????????
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pankaj401
My sentiments exactly!
I would like to second that about Tutu. He sure as hell is no Expert.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2006, 09:12   #9
BANNED
 
viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,769
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkibike
OK! The article I reffered here appeared in Overdrive's Oct 2006 issue. See the last one in "HELP DESK - Your problems solved". The 'titled' query is answered by one of the top and renowned automobile expert Mr. Tutu Dhawan!!! This is what made me start a thread to clear the doubt.
What say?!!
Hi,

You actually believe what the magazine says. and that too that Tutu Dhawan is an expert on ABS

Viper
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2006, 13:43   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
nitrous's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: UAE/Lon/Madras
Posts: 6,966
Thanked: 282 Times
Default

I believe that there Overall diameter(OD) difference should not be very different from the OE for the ABS to work efficiently.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2006, 17:03   #11
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Mumbai/delhi
Posts: 82
Thanked: 0 Times
Default thanks

thanks guys atleast il stop watchin that show now....
vidvai is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tata comments on British Work Ethics ! But what of Work-Life balance ? mooza The International Automotive Scene 69 27th March 2013 00:47
Can the functionality of ABS be simulated on Non-ABS cars? abhinav.s Technical Stuff 54 24th February 2010 14:51
swiftDz ZDi Vs verna SX Abs Vs fiesta sxi tdci abs Vs logan dlsx Vs indigo XL G-dicor dayaraamm Sedans 1 27th August 2008 14:22
Fusion + ABS or Baleno VXI or Accent Viva ABS? What to buy? Confused like anything.. sendu79 Sedans 47 3rd June 2006 20:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:39.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks