Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2017, 16:19   #316
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Chennai
Posts: 58
Thanked: 81 Times
Default Re: About clutch wear & replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopi_rm View Post
Hi,

I used to experience clutch judder every morning when I start from 1st gear and after few mins when the engine becomes warm there will be no clutch juddering.

Thanks in advance.
Hi Gopi, I am facing similar problem in my Honda Brio (2012 model, 50K KMs) since last couple of days. There is some vibration and noise while releasing the clutch pedel and this happens during cold start. It goes away after few minutes of driving. Did you have any update on your case which is quite similar with mine?

Mine is hydraulic clutch, had a look at the clutch reservoir and master cylinder, couldnt see any signs of oil leak around. However I couldnt look around slave cylinder since it is not easily accessible from outside.

Apart from the initial vibration during pedel release, there is no slippage observed in any gears. However I feel the clutch pedel has gone slightly smoother while pressing when compared to the normal operation.

I guess something wrong about master/slave cylinder pistons or clutch release bearing.
Cruiser_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2017, 16:43   #317
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Deutschland
Posts: 50
Thanked: 74 Times
Default Re: About clutch wear & replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser_D View Post
Hi Gopi, I am facing similar problem in my Honda Brio (2012 model, 50K KMs) since last couple of days. There is some vibration and noise while releasing the clutch pedel and this happens during cold start. It goes away after few minutes of driving. Did you have any update on your case which is quite similar with mine?

Mine is hydraulic clutch, had a look at the clutch reservoir and master cylinder, couldnt see any signs of oil leak around. However I couldnt look around slave cylinder since it is not easily accessible from outside.

Apart from the initial vibration during pedel release, there is no slippage observed in any gears. However I feel the clutch pedel has gone slightly smoother while pressing when compared to the normal operation.

I guess something wrong about master/slave cylinder pistons or clutch release bearing.
I have taken the car to a mechanic and he test drove it and told everything is okay. Now a days during cold start I am giving a little more gas while releasing the clutch and don't feel any vibration. I guess the vibration during cold start is due to engine not producing enough torque at low temperature so compensating the torque deficit with extra gas solves the problem. Please check whether it works in your Brio.
gopi_rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2017, 17:27   #318
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Chennai
Posts: 58
Thanked: 81 Times
Default Re: About clutch wear & replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopi_rm View Post
I have taken the car to a mechanic and he test drove it and told everything is okay. Now a days during cold start I am giving a little more gas while releasing the clutch and don't feel any vibration. I guess the vibration during cold start is due to engine not producing enough torque at low temperature so compensating the torque deficit with extra gas solves the problem. Please check whether it works in your Brio.
Thanks Gopi.

But in that case I should not feel anything while engine is off right. Pressing/depressing the pedel without starting the engine also results in same experience. Anyways I am planning to take the car to my mechanic for an opinion. I shall uppate on the progress.
Cruiser_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 17:33   #319
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Jalgaon
Posts: 234
Thanked: 141 Times
Default Re: About clutch wear & replacement

Car in question - Corolla Altis Petrol, done 99000 kilometres.

Symptoms -

1. Car shudders in gear 1 and gear 2. Say I slow down to 5 kph to pass a speed breaker in 1st gear, the RPM drops down to 8-900 and the car shudders somewhat on acceleration.

2. When I'm up shifting, that is when I release the accelerator, press the clutch and up shift a gear, the RPM rises a little bit at that moment.

3. Engine braking effect is almost unnoticeable. The car does not slow down adequately.

4. The fuel economy has gone down.

Going by these symptoms (especially No 2 and No 4), am I in for a clutch overhaul? If yes, would it be advisable to buy the spares OTC from Toyota and get them bolted on from outside?
Swapnil4585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2017, 08:19   #320
Senior - BHPian
 
amalji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kochi
Posts: 1,211
Thanked: 1,351 Times
Post Re: About clutch wear & replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
Going by these symptoms (especially No 2 and No 4), am I in for a clutch overhaul? If yes, would it be advisable to buy the spares OTC from Toyota and get them bolted on from outside?
It seems to be symptoms of a clutch wear. I would recommend that you get it done from Toyota. It's not just the quality of parts that leads to the durability in a Toyota. It's also the kind of best practices they follow during vehicle servicing. Even a task as trivial as screwing/unscrewing can create reliability issues, if not done with proper care. Even for accessory fitting, they get directly trained from Toyota for best practices on each of their models.

Last edited by amalji : 25th May 2017 at 08:22.
amalji is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2017, 10:46   #321
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,900
Thanked: 1,525 Times
Default Re: About clutch wear & replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
Going by these symptoms (especially No 2 and No 4), am I in for a clutch overhaul? If yes, would it be advisable to buy the spares OTC from Toyota and get them bolted on from outside?
Yes, you are. However, since you are buying spares from a dealer, it is best to get them installed there too.

If you can get a genuine clutch kit from the open market, take it to a good garage and get it fitted there.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2017, 10:52   #322
Senior - BHPian
 
Hatari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 1,588
Thanked: 388 Times
Default Weird problem in my Petrol Verna

This is a strange one. I was driving on 3rd gear low revs and then went on to floor it.. the car revs up and starts accelerating and then suddenly at around 4000 RPM, the RPM starts shooting up to 5000 RPM, car still accelerating!

It was like I had pressed the clutch, I hadnt ofcourse and the car was still accelerating but not in line with engine RPM.

This does not happen if I accelerate gradually.
Hatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2017, 10:54   #323
BHPian
 
toiingg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 600
Thanked: 69 Times
Default Re: Weird problem in my Petrol Verna

Clutch is probably slipping. How much has the car done on the existing clutch ?
toiingg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2017, 11:12   #324
Senior - BHPian
 
Hatari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 1,588
Thanked: 388 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toiingg View Post
Clutch is probably slipping. How much has the car done on the existing clutch ?
Car is 2.5 years old, done only 23000 kms.
Hatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2017, 12:13   #325
Senior - BHPian
 
itwasntme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 2,192
Thanked: 1,236 Times
Default Re: Weird problem in my Petrol Verna

Sounds dangerous - suggest you avoid driving and take it straight to the Hyundai workshop or a competent mechanic. Seems to be clutch-related be it the cable, plate, flywheel or release bearing.

Can cause an accident very easily especially on crowded roads.
itwasntme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2017, 12:39   #326
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,635
Thanked: 7,174 Times
Default Re: Weird problem in my Petrol Verna

Seems like clutch or pressure plates are giving away, better to get it attended and avoid the risk of getting stranded on road.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2017, 13:21   #327
Senior - BHPian
 
VW2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: electricity
Posts: 2,465
Thanked: 1,775 Times
Default Re: About clutch wear & replacement

Quote:
This is a strange one. I was driving on 3rd gear low revs and then went on to floor it.. the car revs up and starts accelerating and then suddenly at around 4000 RPM, the RPM starts shooting up to 5000 RPM, car still accelerating!

It was like I had pressed the clutch, I hadnt ofcourse and the car was still accelerating but not in line with engine RPM.

This does not happen if I accelerate gradually.
Clutch letting you know that its time you did something for its plates . Slowly the symptom will crawl into first gear. Little will you know that you are in highway at vellore the car failing to move an inch and you wonder what you should do.

Luckily pump clutch and drive to chennai to a mechanic is an option but that just needs calm head and steady 80kmph driving with 5% clutch. I am just sharing my experience but the result is clutch giving up.

You probably have another 3k to 4k driving aggressively or you can push it to 7-8K driving absolutely sedate and gentle.
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2017, 12:27   #328
Senior - BHPian
 
Hatari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 1,588
Thanked: 388 Times
Default Re: About clutch wear & replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Sounds dangerous - suggest you avoid driving and take it straight to the Hyundai workshop or a competent mechanic. Seems to be clutch-related be it the cable, plate, flywheel or release bearing.

Can cause an accident very easily especially on crowded roads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Seems like clutch or pressure plates are giving away, better to get it attended and avoid the risk of getting stranded on road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Clutch letting you know that its time you did something for its plates . Slowly the symptom will crawl into first gear. Little will you know that you are in highway at vellore the car failing to move an inch and you wonder what you should do.

Luckily pump clutch and drive to chennai to a mechanic is an option but that just needs calm head and steady 80kmph driving with 5% clutch. I am just sharing my experience but the result is clutch giving up.

You probably have another 3k to 4k driving aggressively or you can push it to 7-8K driving absolutely sedate and gentle.
Made the floor manager at Hyundai ride shotgun while I showed him exactly what the problem was. 1st/2nd gear has no issues.
He doesnt understand it though.

Said they will check.. someone mentioned could be Turbo related.

Last edited by Hatari : 21st June 2017 at 12:29.
Hatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2017, 16:53   #329
Senior - BHPian
 
Hatari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 1,588
Thanked: 388 Times
Default Re: About clutch wear & replacement

Update on the issue. Hyundai confirm its not the clutch but cant figure out what it is.
Its difficult to replay as need a long empty stretch and ave to start flooring the pedal at low speed and take it all the way up.

Doesnt happen under normal/hard acceleration.
Hatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2017, 16:57   #330
Senior - BHPian
 
sagarpadaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,618
Thanked: 1,234 Times
Default Re: About clutch wear & replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
Update on the issue. Hyundai confirm its not the clutch but cant figure out what it is.
Its difficult to replay as need a long empty stretch and ave to start flooring the pedal at low speed and take it all the way up.

Doesnt happen under normal/hard acceleration.
If i understand correctly , RPM increases from 4k to 5k but the speed does not increase proportionately? Or is it that the speed and rpm increase from 4k to 5k without your accelerator input?

If it is the former then mostly it is a clutch issue.

You can try a hard ECU reset. Remove a battery terminal and re-connect after 30 mins.
sagarpadaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Clutch usage in Manual transmission - Exercise to leg or wear and tear? Murugan Technical Stuff 26 13th December 2011 11:25
Swift clutch replacement - Suggestions needed ASAP! karthik247 Technical Stuff 40 31st October 2009 13:30
Swift premature clutch wear! canonball The Indian Car Scene 2 5th March 2009 13:58
CLUTCH troubleshooter and replacement DIY nitroxx DIY - Do it yourself 2 6th April 2007 12:49


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:29.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks