Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 3rd May 2017, 12:00   #1
BHPian

Default Timing advance for bi-fuel (petrol + CNG/LPG) engines with mechanical ignition control

Getting good performance from a bi-fuel engine is a difficult task, given the very different characteristics of the two fuels. The problem is further complicated for the old carburetted engines running a Kettering type mechanical ignition system as they are much more difficult to manipulate than electronic ones.

Yesterday I came across a system which allows us to manipulate the timing for such engines. I hope that this information is useful to those with carb bi-fuel vehicles. The documents I am posting are also useful for everyone who wishes to understand timing advance methods in bi-fuel engines, be it an Ambassador or a BMW. Unfortunately the product for mechanical ignition is not currently listed in the manufacturers website. But I think the same can be sourced from the same manufacturer or a different one. Also, going through it's description, I believe that it converts the ignition to a transistorised system so that is another advantage. Some electronic geniuses can perhaps even rig up one at their soldering station.

Also, I can't help but notice that the manufacturer of the mechanical and the electronic systems are different. Most of the known brands (Lovato etc.) make only the reducers while the electronic control systems are made by other (injectors being the only overlap, perhaps outsourced by the reducer makers). So those with supposedly "Made in Italy" "original" Lovato or BRC TAP and emulators have a BIG reason to worry.

Anyone interested in bi-fuel conversions should definitely visit this site-

www.aeb.it
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Timing_Advance_Processor_new.pdf (3.22 MB, 82 views)
File Type: pdf JOKER N-AEB5149N_Is549N_180598.pdf (264.1 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by GTO : 4th May 2017 at 11:05. Reason: Small typo - thanks for sharing!
fighterace is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote