Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 1st June 2017, 21:03   #331
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Maruti S-Cross 1.6L – Sudden death of the 320 DDiS engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Forget what Maruti does to the dealer for a moment, Maruti hasn't even done right by the customer in this case, yet.
Let's wait and watch buddy. As per recent update by 100bhp, new engine assembly is already mounted. Maruti Suzuki should have done this much earlier and not delayed till a month.
Dr.Naren is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2017, 10:40   #332
Team-BHP Support

So any updates? Has the initial checks and run in been done? When is the expected date of delivery?
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2017, 10:51   #333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Let's wait and watch buddy. As per recent update by 100bhp, new engine assembly is already mounted. Maruti Suzuki should have done this much earlier and not delayed till a month.
Yes, but as per what I could make out, Maruti has offered to bear only 2/3rds of the repair costs as a goodwill gesture. In this case it is simply unacceptable to ask the customer to pay for what is clearly not his fault. MSIL should have done this work FOC under warranty & not as a goodwill gesture which makes it sound as if they are doing some big favour to the customer.
AkMar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2017, 11:13   #334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
Yes, but as per what I could make out, Maruti has offered to bear only 2/3rds of the repair costs as a goodwill gesture. In this case it is simply unacceptable to ask the customer to pay for what is clearly not his fault. MSIL should have done this work FOC under warranty & not as a goodwill gesture which makes it sound as if they are doing some big favour to the customer.
Nobody knows the real cause for this damage.

3 theories which were discussed in this thread are :

1. Adulterated fuel
2. Adulterated Oil
3. Overfilling of engine oil

But nothing explains.. Why only one cylinder got damaged? If adulterated fuel.. How the fuel system is fine?

This is just my strong belief :

1. Rohan Motors is the real culprit.

2. They were not transparent and told lot of lies from Day 1

3. They have manipulated lot of things

Dealership is the first point of contact for a customer. If they manipulate things.. Maruti can't do a proper analysis. Most of the evidence is tampered. Anyways, it's good that they have agreed to bear 2/3 Rd cost (as of now).

As I said before, let's wait and watch.. We will have some idea after 100bhp gets the car back and posts here.

Cheers!!

P.S : I am sure Maruti Suzuki would be following this thread. Please take strict action against this service centre and also not leave your premium Nexa customer high and dry.

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 2nd June 2017 at 11:17.
Dr.Naren is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2017, 11:28   #335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Adulterated fuel
2. Adulterated Oil
3. Overfilling of engine oil
I'm always paranoid about my vehicles not having adequate engine oil. So I keep checking for mm & micro mm level before & after almost every engine start. During my second service I was keen to check the oil level with the ASC. When I said why not just pour some 50 ml more (I'll pay for it) because for every 1000 odd Km there's bound to be evaporation.

They had a panicked response saying NO & they said they're not willing to over fill & said the oil pressure would break the oil lines. I've been overfilling slightly on my CPR for over 100000 Km & nothing happened so far. So I quoted on my CPR & said nothing would happen.

But ASC was kind of adamant not to touch the engine oil level (it was a shy of MAX level). At that point I thought ASC might not want to do a free top up on engine oil & hence they dismissed. But now my thoughts are little different.

I'll have to keep a watch on the engine oil level at microscopic level going forward.
aargee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2017, 11:32   #336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I'll have to keep a watch on the engine oil level at microscopic level going forward.
Just make sure that the oil level on dipstick is between low and high. Top up the oil if it's lesser than the low mark. Even the owners manual of S-Cross says little oil consumption is normal and not to panic
Dr.Naren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2017, 11:51   #337
BHPian

We have a 200 kva generator in our apartment complex in Bangalore and the generator (Diesel engine) in on AMC with an experienced company.

Couple of days back I was inspecting the maintenance and found that the generator was overfilled by 2-3 inches above max level on the dipstick. I literally shouted at the maintenance engineer and though he accepted that they have overfilled by 2-3 liters, initially he came up with clarification that 2-3 liters extra will not cause any harm.

I got the oil level decreased but was surprised that even the experienced engineers make such mistakes and believe that overfill wont cause any issues.

I have a feeling that an engineer at the service station possibly didn't drain the old oil completely and filled fresh oil or he just filled more oil than the engine needs and the resulting overfill caused the issue.

Quote:
Just make sure that the oil level on dipstick is between low and high. Top up the oil if it's lesser than the low mark. Even the owners manual of S-Cross says little oil consumption is normal and not to panic
sanjeevgpc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2017, 12:25   #338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Your dealer is one of the few who actually abides by the Min and Max levels. Wish there were more such dealers.

Thing is, everybody (and that includes us vehicle owners) should understand one fundamental thing very, very clearly when it comes to fluids: The MIN and MAX lines on a dipstick or a reservoir/container be it coolant, brake fluid, power steering fluid, etc are there for a reason. We need to follow the owners manual.

When it comes to the engine oil in my cars I'd rather fill 5% less than 5% more than the stated capacity. Any attempt at overfilling engine oil generally results in me resorting to a rather unpleasant rant at the technician or service advisor.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2017, 12:30   #339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
So any updates? Has the initial checks and run in been done? When is the expected date of delivery?
* UPDATE DAY 33 *

The car is still at workshop & no update is available from MASS. Its been 2 days more than the expected schedule.

Off topic : I am driving loaner vehicle CIAZ now & would say that there is no fun to drive this ship (CIAZ owners - please don't take offense). Its a comfortable vehicle but need more stiffness in driveability & bigger engine.

Getting more & more impatient to drive PO again with its tight chassis & its enticing pick up.
100BHP is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2017, 14:37   #340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Thing is, everybody (and that includes us vehicle owners) should understand one fundamental thing very, very clearly when it comes to fluids: The MIN and MAX lines on a dipstick or a reservoir/container be it coolant, brake fluid, power steering fluid, etc are there for a reason. We need to follow the owners manual.

When it comes to the engine oil in my cars I'd rather fill 5% less than 5% more than the stated capacity.
On the dot. This is the correct way to go folks. No point in being paranoid about mm levels. All who are still not clear please read R2D2's post couple of times again.

The only thing you need to keep in mind is your levels are OK TO BE ANYWHERE IN BETWEEN THE MIN AND MAX MARKERS. I'll put that down again: your levels are OK TO BE ANYWHERE IN BETWEEN THE MIN AND MAX MARKERS. This goes for all fluids. It's amazing how this simple thing is so hard to follow for a ton of people who make up their own complicated norms and paranois to follow about such a simple and important step.

The catch is to do periodic and regular checks. And keep and eye on the oil light. It shouldn't be on after the engine cranks up. Never. Neither should it turn on anytime while running/moving for even intermittent intervals even for a second. If that happens, your critical lubrication is in jeopardy. Stop at once and check. Ditto for temperature guage/light or check-engine light which might be telling you about bad fluid levels even like your automatic transmission fluid or brake oil level. Most cars have separate lights for all.

The lights are there because these fluids can lose level suddenly while running too due to any malfunction/issue. So you need to stop immediately. So only checking it to the dot only when you are at leisure or stopped conveniently in your spare time is not going to be good enough.

Now about the practice of technicians filling a bit over the MAX level, well, an mm or two is not going to hurt your engine really, but more than that should not be tolerated. THE SAME DOESN'T GO FOR MINIMUM LEVEL!! Here, anything lesser or even on the MIN level is NOT OK!! Top up immediately. Ideally your engine never needs more than MAX level, ever. In any condition.

The more engine tech is advancing, the lesser their tolerances are getting with regards to fluid discripiencies. So some newer engines could be relatively more easier to mess up real bad real fast.

So the best place to be for your fluids is: between the markers. Never out of them on any side. Just my two-and-a-half cents.
pixantz is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2017, 15:01   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
So the best place to be for your fluids is: between the markers. Never out of them on any side. Just my two-and-a-half cents.
As I recollect, the dipstick of my 13 year old petrol swift always showed the oil level quite above the upper mark. Will be more careful from now on- not only for this vehicle, but also for my other car as well as bike.
ajayclicks is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2017, 15:35   #342
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Maruti lost a good opportunity to create some positive vibe online. I know a case personally where a forum member was on a holiday and his less than a year old enjoy started giving him troubles, he drove the vehicle to the nearest chevy showroom and they said the engine is toast due to lack of oil, they filled new oil(not sure if they charged for the oil) and he came back to his home town driving the same vehicle, Chevy replaced the engine for him free of cost and also honored the warranty he had, it was carried forward onto the new engine. It was all done without charging him a single penny and without him going ballistic on social media. That one thing made me buy a chevy, its sad that they left. Maruti could have used this opportunity to do the best and gain some visibility and should also ensure prospective customers feel their investment on a vehicle is backed by a highly customer friendly company.

PS: Chevy filled coolant in my Cruze twice and didn't charge me a penny, once was when a hose clip failed and another time when the radiator was replaced due to a crack. Both the time it was not a top-up and they replaced the entire coolant

Pramod

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 3rd June 2017 at 08:33. Reason: Typo
pramodkumar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2017, 16:00   #343
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
Yes, but as per what I could make out, Maruti has offered to bear only 2/3rds of the repair costs as a goodwill gesture. In this case it is simply unacceptable to ask the customer to pay for what is clearly not his fault.
to Maruti's "goodwill gesture." Except that this is no laughing matter. I agree that this is completely unacceptable.

Their barely 1.5-year-old engine has catastrophically failed under normal operating conditions. So what's their warranty worth?

Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2017, 16:40   #344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100BHP View Post
* UPDATE DAY 33 *

The car is still at workshop & no update is available from MASS. Its been 2 days more than the expected schedule.
You may want to keep some / all of the replaced parts with you for the future. this is just in case you decide to take up the case elsewhere - these parts may prove helpful w.r.t. 'evidence'
jomson13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2017, 18:45   #345
BHPian

Engine oil cannot be accurately filled. In my SX4, manual mentioned 4.2liters of oil. SS filled 4 liters. It was somehow used to reach at lower marking. I noticed this after 2 years. Then I told then fill 4.2 liters and now it started to be in middle of markings.
omishra is offline   Reply With Quote