Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 2nd June 2017, 19:21   #346
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Maruti S-Cross 1.6L – Sudden death of the 320 DDiS engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by omishra View Post
Engine oil cannot be accurately filled. In my SX4, manual mentioned 4.2liters of oil. SS filled 4 liters. It was somehow used to reach at lower marking. I noticed this after 2 years. Then I told then fill 4.2 liters and now it started to be in middle of markings.
Oil dipstick reading is calibrated for ~1 litre of oil most of the times. If the oil level is lesser by 1 litre.. It would be at lowest mark on dipstick.
Dr.Naren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2017, 19:57   #347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by omishra View Post
Engine oil cannot be accurately filled. In my SX4, manual mentioned 4.2liters of oil. SS filled 4 liters. It was somehow used to reach at lower marking. I noticed this after 2 years. Then I told then fill 4.2 liters and now it started to be in middle of markings.
I'm afraid this thread has turned into an interesting 'Engine Oil' thread but naturally so as oil seems to be the prime reason it was started in the first place.

Ok Mr omishra, you have made an intriguing statement here. Please explain "Engine oil cannot be accurately filled." And at what point do you find your oil engine oilstarting to be in the middle of the markings. Very interesting.

I have a hunch as to why you must be saying so. You must be checking oil levels when the engine is running. This way you will never get true readings and levels will always be on the lower side because most of the oil is being pumped around the engine and is busy doing its job. So the sump will on show whever is left at the base. But I'm just guessing and if I'm wrong and you do the readings on a cold engine then you really have to tell us how all this came to be!

Just to be on the same page, it's a given that we should always be checking oil levels on an engine that is OFF has been off for at least 2-4 hours and when the vehicle is on ground which is as level as possible (not on a slope) in order to get a proper reading.

Ifthese things are kept in mind your dipstick readings should ideally stay pretty constant unless there is a leak or some other issue. Over to you sir.
pixantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2017, 20:13   #348
BHPian

@pixantz, you nailed it correctly. Initially I used to measure oil on dip stick while engine was still hot. But later I realized my mistake and used to check it in morning before starting the cold engine. Still I never got same reading on dip stick. So I used to wipe the dip stick and measure 2-3 times.
Again here I wanted to make a point how only relying upon service center can mess it. Though we have not faced similar unfortunate event, I think before taking car back from service center, checking car including engine oil level and visual appearance of oil on dip stick could save instance like this.
I just want to save some take aways from this instance.

Last edited by omishra : 2nd June 2017 at 20:19.
omishra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2017, 20:17   #349
Senior - BHPian

Well, we're deviating from the topic. For the correct procedure to check engine oil level please READ the owner's manual! The procedure MAY vary from car to car. My car's manual says:
  • Engine at operating temperature. For me, operating temp is the temperature at which the cooling fan switches on and then turns off. This is from a service manual. That's when I adjusted my car's idle speed and air screw in the old carburettor days. It is approximately 70-80 C coolant temperature.
  • Switched off for a few minutes, my interpretation says 3-5 minutes will suffice.
  • Car on level ground. This is VERY important.

Some additional inputs from yours truly and some at the cost of repetition but they're mentioned here for completeness:
  • ALWAYS check the engine oil and fluid levels before taking delivery after a routine service from your ASC/FNG. Check again after a few days. Loose oil filters or drain plugs can cause leaks. Monthly (or preferably fortnightly) checks are recommended thereafter. Hey! We T-BHPians love our cars don't we?
  • DO NOT overfill any fluid, it can be detrimental. MIN and MAX markings are there for a reason. Follow them for Pete's sake!!!
  • When it comes to the ASC or FNG - the cardinal principle I follow is "Trust but verify". We are dealing with a bunch of humans doing a job under stress and/or in a hurry. And people make mistakes.

Last edited by R2D2 : 2nd June 2017 at 20:21. Reason: typos
R2D2 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2017, 17:12   #350
BHPian

Opened & read the entire thread today. I deeply sympathize for you 100 BHP to have faced such an ordeal. Honestly, I too have been shaken & scared to the core like many of you. Shaken for the obvious reasons but scared because even my S-cross is a December 2015 1.6 Delta model with current mileage figures around 21K kms. Voila! It is in the same running condition when 100BHP’s PO encountered engine failure. Got mine Serviced around 1 month ago and they changed the Fuel Filter.
As it is being established by Maruti that adulterated fuel is the culprit then what is the role of Fuel Filter? Is it only to remove the dust and dirt from the fuel? From my understanding, adulteration of diesel is mainly done by adding kerosene to it. Kerosene and Diesel are invariably of similar density & Kerosene costs about 35% the price of diesel.
Engines today should therefore be built susceptible to withstand & burn out some permissible levels of adulteration since now it has become a Global problem. The imported Fiat 1.6 seems quite sensitive to adulterated diesel. Maruti have certainly missed out their R&D with this engine’s suitability for Indian conditions. Are the passionate owners of 320 DDis in India driving some sort of “time bomb” where adulterated fuel is slowly killing the engine with passage of time? What is the reliability of even reputed fuel stations in India to always provide you with non-adulterated diesel?
smitz4u is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2017, 18:25   #351
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
what is the role of Fuel Filter?
I think that it is for removing water?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2017, 18:44   #352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I think that it is for removing water?
Obviously, water being denser than diesel should also be collected for draining off
smitz4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2017, 04:50   #353
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitz4u View Post
water being denser than diesel should also be collected for draining off
Really not sure, but I think it is more that than that. Without being able to give proper technical reference, I'm under the impression that diesel engines can cope with a bit of dust and dirt better than with water. Thinking: the huge volume of steam created by even a small amount of water.
Old 4th June 2017, 18:37   #354
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: Please stick to the topic . Thank you!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2017, 22:43   #355
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Please stick to the topic
In my mind, this is about water being potentially dangerous to a diesel engine. I should have googled first. It seems that it is certainly not good, but doesn't cause catastrophic failure.

Figment of my imagination. Sorry.
Old 5th June 2017, 10:44   #356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100BHP View Post
* UPDATE DAY 33 *

The car is still at workshop & no update is available from MASS. Its been 2 days more than the expected schedule.
When is the ordeal expected to get over ?

How many days does Maruti need to just fit the engine ?

If this much delay is happening with the factory 80kms away, wonder what would have happened if this incident had happened down south !!
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2017, 11:05   #357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
How many days does Maruti need to just fit the engine ?
100bhp has already shared the pic of new engine mounted. I can't understand.. What's the delay about now? Did they encounter some unexpected issue?
Old 5th June 2017, 11:58   #358
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
100bhp has already shared the pic of new engine mounted. I can't understand.. What's the delay about now? Did they encounter some unexpected issue?
Hope not! maybe they are doing the running in and road tests etc just to rule out other issues.

@100BHP any further updates? Did they explain to you what all has been done? Was the fuel lines and components flushed out with new fuel before re-connecting?
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2017, 12:06   #359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Hope not! maybe they are doing the running in and road tests etc just to rule out other issues.
This shouldn't take more than 2 days. Based on my experience.. During engine repair / new engine : Maruti instructs them to run the engine for few hours (idling) followed by road test.
Old 5th June 2017, 12:26   #360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Any idea about the procedure of changing engine number in all documents ?
New RC has to be issued, I believe.
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote