Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 11th June 2017, 14:03   #376
BHPian

Default Re: Maruti S-Cross 1.6L – Sudden death of the 320 DDiS engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100BHP View Post
[b][center]
Welcome back for PO. Yesterday, PO had arrived home.
This is great news to hear 100BHP. I am glad she is back home. Even though I am not aware of the full details of the incident and people involved to bring this issue to resolution, I'd say that Maruti did engage with you to resolve this matter and that's commendable.

It seems that the MASS where the car was done isn't competent to diagnose and handle a serious problem, but with the help of engineers from Maruti, the work has been done to your satisfaction?

Are you in a position to share the final cost as well as terms and conditions. How much did you have to bear? Please excuse me if it was already shared.
sudeepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2017, 14:41   #377
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Welcome back for PO. Yesterday, PO had arrived home.!
That's great. Hope you can share some more details of what all work was carried out and details of expense if collected from you. Also are they still stuck on fuel adulteration as cause or is there more to it?
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2017, 14:43   #378
BHPian

Quote:
[b][center]Yesterday, PO had arrived home.

Woohoo!! Glad to know PO is back to base. Finally!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
Do keep the engine in mind and run it in again uptil 1000 Km.
Going by the amount of tests, and the time they took doing the same, seems like the engine might be pretty much "run in" already. But a bit more wouldn't hurt, of course. Only hope 100BHP got the car back properly topped up with fresh fill of mainly Engine Oil and the other fluids.
pixantz is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2017, 17:26   #379
BHPian

Great news! Hope she is as good as new.. How much have you finally paid to MASS?

Last edited by benbsb29 : 11th June 2017 at 18:09. Reason: Edited post to remove excessive dots.
smitz4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2017, 18:13   #380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Welcome back for PO. Yesterday, PO had arrived home.
Congrats and happy to hear your car is back. Now before the excitement dies down, may I suggest a few things even if you're not much of a DIYer:
  • Now that you have a new engine please keep a close eye on the engine oil level. Check it every few days. Once the running-in is over check it once a month. Turbos do burn oil. Also make sure the car is on level ground before checking. Consult your owners manual for the exact procedure.
  • Do not switch off the engine immediately after coming to a stop. Idle the engine for at least 60 seconds to let the turbo wind down. There's a separate thread covering this topic on T-BHP. Please read it.
  • Check the car throughly both before and after a service. Do NOT assume the ASC does a faultless job. They could make mistakes, and as you have probably experienced, some of their mistakes can be costly.
  • Check ALL fluids especially the coolant and brake fluid regularly

Last edited by R2D2 : 11th June 2017 at 18:14.
R2D2 is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2017, 18:45   #381
Senior - BHPian

And regardless of what the asc says fill engine oil bought from a known source in a sealed can or sachets.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2017, 20:43   #382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
And regardless of what the asc says fill engine oil bought from a known source in a sealed can or sachets.
Sadly, that may not be an option for a car under warranty and that too with a newly replaced engine. It's best to toe the MSIL & ASC line just in case. You simply don't want to give them ANY excuse to duck a warranty claim.

All I'd advise the OP to do is perform a few basic checks regularly. More frequent to begin with and then tapering off in frequency once the engine is bedded in and he gets an inkling of it's 'personality'.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2017, 21:19   #383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Sadly, that may not be an option for a car under warranty and that too with a newly replaced engine. It's best to toe the MSIL & ASC line just in case. You simply don't want to give them ANY excuse to duck a warranty claim.

All I'd advise the OP to do is perform a few basic checks regularly. More frequent to begin with and then tapering off in frequency once the engine is bedded in and he gets an inkling of it's 'personality'.
At least get the oil filled from a new and sealed can instead of from overhead pipe or old / refilled can, by the dealership in front of your eyes.

Pick a different service center of course. And tell them about the previous history and that you'll be watching.
hserus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2017, 21:42   #384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

MGPs do sell Maruti Genuine recommended lubes in sealed cans. We are free to purchase them and carry it to be used during service. As long as it is Maruti recommended for that make, we are good.

@100 BHP: That is great, and good that the turbo was replaced. You were quite open with the details when you started this thread, but now you are very tight lipped with the numbers and work that has been done. I guess T BHP deserves to have a look at the invoice for this particular job card. IIRC, this is how the other thread by himalayan_ice ended up as well, and coincidentally that involved Maruti and Nexa as well.
DRIV3R is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2017, 22:14   #385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
@100 BHP: That is great, and good that the turbo was replaced. You were quite open with the details when you started this thread, but now you are very tight lipped with the numbers and work that has been done. I guess T BHP deserves to have a look at the invoice for this particular job card. IIRC, this is how the other thread by himalayan_ice ended up as well, and coincidentally that involved Maruti and Nexa as well.
Given the significant costs and bad PR involved my guess is that Maruti has strictly limited the amount of information that can be shared, probably with a non disclosure agreement.
hserus is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2017, 22:24   #386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
MGPs do sell Maruti Genuine recommended lubes in sealed cans. We are free to purchase them and carry it to be used during service. As long as it is Maruti recommended for that make, we are good.
Let me caveat that further: if you do buy a sealed can then buy it from the ASC that maintains the car so the purchase reflects in the service invoice and in their service records. The documents are primary proof should the need arise.

There can be no accusations on the lines of "The customer supplied oil was adulterated and purchased from unknown sources"

After what the OP has experienced related to so called "adulterated fuel" it's better to be safe than sorry during the warranty. Thing is, don't give them a chance to pass on the buck should a problem arise in the future.

Last edited by R2D2 : 11th June 2017 at 22:25.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2017, 12:06   #387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
That's great. Hope you can share some more details of what all work was carried out and details of expense if collected from you. Also are they still stuck on fuel adulteration as cause or is there more to it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post
This is great news to hear 100BHP. I am glad she is back home. Even though I am not aware of the full details of the incident and people involved to bring this issue to resolution, I'd say that Maruti did engage with you to resolve this matter and that's commendable.

It seems that the MASS where the car was done isn't competent to diagnose and handle a serious problem, but with the help of engineers from Maruti, the work has been done to your satisfaction?

Are you in a position to share the final cost as well as terms and conditions. How much did you have to bear? Please excuse me if it was already shared.
I will share the details of the repairs done shortly. Give me sometime pls. The cause remains same. No change.

Quote:
Congrats and happy to hear your car is back. Now before the excitement dies down, may I suggest a few things even if you're not much of a DIYer:[/list]
Definitely - Thanks !

Quote:
I am not sure from this notion has creeped in. As I had said above, I will share all details...will take sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post

Have they kept their promise of returning the car in showroom condition?

Enjoy her for miles to come,

Regards,
Vishy
Thanks, This promise has fallen flat on its face. I don't have stamina to be angry again at MASS for this. Some promised are meant to be ignored even if they were committed by someone higher up in foodchain. Getting all major issues (aesthetics related) rectified today, will update based on them.

Last edited by navin : 12th June 2017 at 12:28.
100BHP is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2017, 12:17   #388
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations, it's a big sign of relief to us 1.6 owners. Adding to what the fellow Bhpians have said above, it's always better to get the oil change done in front of you (that's what I normally do for every service).
rakesh_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2017, 15:07   #389
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, This promise has fallen flat on its face. I don't have stamina to be angry again at MASS for this. Some promised are meant to be ignored even if they were committed by someone higher up in foodchain. Getting all major issues (aesthetics related) rectified today, will update based on them.
Yes, I can only imagine what you have gone through - and one feels like getting away from this stressful combination of MSIL/MASS. I would just ignore all the non-functional issues and slowly bring the car back to its original condition.

As many of us have said in earlier posts, the only take-away is to be extremely vigilant at all times - at least till the next 3-5 K km.

Appreciate your persistence/patience and hope you have a trouble free ownership now onwards

Last edited by AutoSphere : 12th June 2017 at 15:09. Reason: Line spacing
AutoSphere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2017, 19:43   #390
BHPian

Few things which required immediate attention after the car was returned in "pristine condition..."
1. Lower portion of front bumper dislocated
2.very deep scratches on bumper near front right fog lamp
3. Auto rear view mirror not working - Repaired today
4. Reverse parking camera missing - They admitted that they forgot that it was taken off after I asked them about it whereabouts. They have installed it with tape after the car went back today - The camera holder and suction cup is damaged due to poor handling. Need to be replaced
5. Front fog lamps not working - Repaired today
6. And the biggest blunder of all till discovered now - ECM has been changed and it has effected the keys function. The key which was with the car was reprogrammed with new security code but the key remote at home was not asked for repairs. When I tried to operate it yesterday, I was wondering why this remote was not working.Hence asked them to check it for battery life. Now the new code will be asked for it and will be done in few days.

Now, what can we deduce from all these blunders? Sawari apne samaan ki khud zimmedar hai.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross 1.6L – Sudden death of the 320 DDiS engine-1497274833791.jpg  

Maruti S-Cross 1.6L – Sudden death of the 320 DDiS engine-1497274851656.jpg  

Maruti S-Cross 1.6L – Sudden death of the 320 DDiS engine-1497274864253.jpg  

Maruti S-Cross 1.6L – Sudden death of the 320 DDiS engine-1497274877705.jpg  

Maruti S-Cross 1.6L – Sudden death of the 320 DDiS engine-1497274901599.jpg  

Maruti S-Cross 1.6L – Sudden death of the 320 DDiS engine-1497275372604.jpg  

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 12th June 2017 at 23:35. Reason: Please avoid using excessive dots like ......
100BHP is offline   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote