Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2017, 14:11   #31
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,792
Thanked: 7,119 Times
Default Re: Water leakage in my new Innova Crysta - where has Toyota's famed quality control gone?

Glass seal leaks are not unheard of, but have become rare. Even third-party glass replacement is, in my experience, usually trouble free.

My last 2nd-hand London car had 2 new aftermarket screens. The honest dealer told me they had spotted a crack so put me glass before I took delivery; later I had a bad stone hit, which caused a several-inch crack. Not a drop of water entered. Parked outside in UK weather.

Here, I have had smashed rear screen dealer-replaced. (VW). Again, not a drop.

But leaks can be hard to find when they happen. Hard, but would have thought that, unless it some gap that only opens in certain conditions, your service guys should have been able to discover the general problem area on day one.

Pressure-washers work wonders!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2017, 16:58   #32
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 39
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: Water leakage in my new Innova Crysta - where has Toyota's famed quality control gone?

I really feel sorry for you Brother!
I wonder what on earth is happening!
A Maruti S-Cross with its engine going kaput and now a Toyota Innova?
When was the last time that an European manufacturer's car owner singing the same tune recently??
Roles reversed eh?
Is the new Toyota Fortuner niggle free or are those owners singing the same tune as the Innova owners? Since these two cars share a lot between them.
I remember GTO in the official review saying saying that the new Innova is not a whole new platform but a heavily reworked chassis of the old car that it replaced. Is it a case that they have just overdone it maybe?
Or are we seeing the achilles heel of toyota in Building a new generation of cars?
Dushyanth is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2017, 19:24   #33
BHPian
 
Boomerang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 98
Thanked: 68 Times
Default Re: Water leakage in my new Innova Crysta - where has Toyota's famed quality control gone?

I am sorry for your situation. Even when this is sorted I am sure it leave a valley of fear when you specially travel long distance.

I, like many others here, was to go for an Innova. First the price made me run away, next the niggles and issues.

Clearly for me the below mentioned are worrisome:

1. Cost cutting has become worse
2. Over priced is alright but having new cars on used cars' market dents every nook of confidence

If I were you, I'd dispose and salvage all that I can before it becomes worse. I know how painful it can be to be in this situation; drastic but i'll go ahead.

Keep us posted on your vehicle and the issue escalations.
Boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2017, 19:36   #34
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: -
Posts: 854
Thanked: 993 Times
Default Re: Water leakage in my new Innova Crysta - where has Toyota's famed quality control gone?

Looks like one needs to add a 'shower test' to the PDI check list. I know it's funny but something that could be overlooked until the monsoon season.
swiftdiesel is online now   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2017, 09:57   #35
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Delhi-NCR
Posts: 851
Thanked: 4,285 Times
Default Re: Water leakage in my new Innova Crysta - where has Toyota's famed quality control gone?

Just sent you a PM. Hope it helps. If you don't get a positive and immediate response PM me.
V.Narayan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2017, 10:36   #36
BHPian
 
Shreyas Agarwal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Lakhimpur Kheri
Posts: 65
Thanked: 192 Times
Default Re: Water leakage in my new Innova Crysta - where has Toyota's famed quality control gone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Please don't take delivery of the car unless Toyota is involved.

Something has gone wrong: either during manufacturing- which is a massive cause of concern for Toyota, or at the dealer- which should be brought out in the open in front of both, Toyota and you.

Tweet, write on their facebook wall, email the higher-ups; do what you have to do. Posting here certainly goes a long way.

But Toyota *has* to be involved in the resolution; this is a fairly serious issue.

Good luck!
I had to take the delivery of the car yesterday eve as they satisfied me by pouring water over the car with a pressure washer and today my sister had to go to the airport with a lot of luggage.( the airport is about 155 km from our place)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Glass seal leaks are not unheard of, but have become rare. Even third-party glass replacement is, in my experience, usually trouble free.

My last 2nd-hand London car had 2 new aftermarket screens. The honest dealer told me they had spotted a crack so put me glass before I took delivery; later I had a bad stone hit, which caused a several-inch crack. Not a drop of water entered. Parked outside in UK weather.

Here, I have had smashed rear screen dealer-replaced. (VW). Again, not a drop.

But leaks can be hard to find when they happen. Hard, but would have thought that, unless it some gap that only opens in certain conditions, your service guys should have been able to discover the general problem area on day one.

Pressure-washers work wonders!
Yes, In today's modern age these issues are as rare as dodo but they do occur and the same happened with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dushyanth View Post
I really feel sorry for you Brother!
I wonder what on earth is happening!
A Maruti S-Cross with its engine going kaput and now a Toyota Innova?
When was the last time that an European manufacturer's car owner singing the same tune recently??
Roles reversed eh?
Is the new Toyota Fortuner niggle free or are those owners singing the same tune as the Innova owners? Since these two cars share a lot between them.
I remember GTO in the official review saying saying that the new Innova is not a whole new platform but a heavily reworked chassis of the old car that it replaced. Is it a case that they have just overdone it maybe?
Or are we seeing the achilles heel of toyota in Building a new generation of cars?
I even thought the same. My uncle's duster has run over a lakh kms without any niggles but my Innova suffered from one at 1400 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
I am sorry for your situation. Even when this is sorted I am sure it leave a valley of fear when you specially travel long distance.

I, like many others here, was to go for an Innova. First the price made me run away, next the niggles and issues.

Clearly for me the below mentioned are worrisome:

1. Cost cutting has become worse
2. Over priced is alright but having new cars on used cars' market dents every nook of confidence

If I were you, I'd dispose and salvage all that I can before it becomes worse. I know how painful it can be to be in this situation; drastic but i'll go ahead.

Keep us posted on your vehicle and the issue escalations.
It is easy to say but after investing 25 lakh on a car we cannot just sell it and yes I will now always be scared of travelling in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Looks like one needs to add a 'shower test' to the PDI check list. I know it's funny but something that could be overlooked until the monsoon season.
It will surely be overlooked until the next rains. The same was the case with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Just sent you a PM. Hope it helps. If you don't get a positive and immediate response PM me.
Thanks for your help but I can neither send PMs nor receive them as I am a newbie but I can give you my e-mail id if the document/link you provide is really helpful.

With regards,
Shreyas Kumar Agarwal
Shreyas Agarwal is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2017, 10:49   #37
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Delhi-NCR
Posts: 851
Thanked: 4,285 Times
Default Re: Water leakage in my new Innova Crysta - where has Toyota's famed quality control gone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas Agarwal View Post

Thanks for your help but I can neither send PMs nor receive them as I am a newbie but I can give you my e-mail id if the document/link you provide is really helpful.

With regards,
Shreyas Kumar Agarwal
Shreyas, send me your email ID. I'll write to you right now.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2017, 10:58   #38
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Ernakulam
Posts: 28
Thanked: 25 Times
Default

It's high time for government to articulate a recall policy with respect to automobile industry. Till then the public is going to be guinea pig for manufacturers for testing.
speedgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2017, 12:48   #39
BHPian
 
cpbopanna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 561
Thanked: 784 Times
Default Re: Water leakage in my new Innova Crysta - where has Toyota's famed quality control gone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
These are the smallest basics of making a car in the modern age. Even fit and finish and build quality come later. So a brand llike Toyota, I would not readily believe that it is a QC defect....
In any case, I would like to see how the dealer handles it. And even if it is handled well enough at the dealer level, do ask them for a plausible explanation and if not given, make sure to send a mail to Toyota asking them about this. A 20 lac rupee car with a fault as basic as this deserves an explanation.
It needs nothing short of a replacement (of vehicle)!
The customer is not part of Toyota's R&D, if Toyota has blundered, they need to pay for it!
cpbopanna is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2017, 13:05   #40
BHPian
 
Kestrel5915's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Noida
Posts: 71
Thanked: 62 Times
Default Re: Water leakage in my new Innova Crysta - where has Toyota's famed quality control gone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
It needs nothing short of a replacement (of vehicle)!
The customer is not part of Toyota's R&D, if Toyota has blundered, they need to pay for it!
That's a bit too much, don't you think?

Manufacturing defects are the main reason of providing a warranty.
Kestrel5915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2017, 15:58   #41
BHPian
 
feluda86's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Pune
Posts: 62
Thanked: 86 Times
Default Re: Water leakage in my new Innova Crysta - where has Toyota's famed quality control gone?

It is really sad to see flag bearers of modern day quality in cars (Toyota and Honda) failing in QC for their Indian cars. With mandatory crash tests and progress to BS VI adding additional investments for these companies, I can only foresee more of such cost cutting measures by compromising on QC. This is where the consumer protection laws in India need to be stronger - hefty fines need to be imposed on companies which compromise safety or take consumers for a ride by cutting costs on quality.
feluda86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2017, 16:19   #42
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 112
Thanked: 95 Times
Default Re: Water leakage in my new Innova Crysta - where has Toyota's famed quality control gone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
... And we still believe the myth that "Maruti is cheap to maintain" when the likes of Ford and Tata are cheaper to maintain than a Maruti these days....
Based on my experience owing 2 WagonRs, Manza, S-Cross - Maruti is definitely expensive to maintain. And what I hear from my friend owning Endeavour, it is very cost effective to maintain. Maruti's cheap maintenance is a relic from the past. Quality is still top notch, though. Ford and Toyota service is excellent too.
5kmiles is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2017, 17:00   #43
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Vizag
Posts: 1,969
Thanked: 1,285 Times
Default Re: Water leakage in my new Innova Crysta - where has Toyota's famed quality control gone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Probably what he meant is that Maruti doesn't demand a premium for "Japanese quality" which the others like Toyota, Honda and Nissan seem to be doing recently. All three have been echoing the "premium, premium" chant these days whereas the product quality has not been a big differentiating factor compared to others like Suzuki.

Either maintain prices high and offer unquestionable quality, or lower the prices and make it reasonable. Or find a balance between these extremes like Hyundai did.
Exactly my point. Most of Maruti's cars are quite reasonably priced. Sure, they strayed a bit off course on S-Cross pricing front but it was also quickly followed by a course-correction. They do not charge this Japanese premium that others do.
pgsagar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2017, 17:24   #44
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: ERNAKULAM
Posts: 947
Thanked: 317 Times
Default Re: Water leakage in my new Innova Crysta - where has Toyota's famed quality control gone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I'm curious why so many all new Innovas are already on the second hand market in less than a year. A quick Mumbai search also showed as many as 8 innovas for sale. This was never the case with the old Innova.
I made a similar statement about a year ago regarding two Innova that our college owned. One was the old one, the first generation, which had run a lot with zero trouble and the new innova which had traveled a few thousand kilometers with rust developing at the bottom portion of the doors.

Toyota quality is a thing of the past. Finally we sold of the new innova and kept the old one which has covered more than 2,25,000 km without any issue of rust build up. Only normal routine service done.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 4th June 2017 at 19:08. Reason: Yeah no discussions on moderator actions Mr Pullockaran. Thanks.
drpullockaran is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2017, 20:00   #45
BHPian
 
Shreyas Agarwal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Lakhimpur Kheri
Posts: 65
Thanked: 192 Times
Default Re: Water leakage in my new Innova Crysta - where has Toyota's famed quality control gone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedgun View Post
It's high time for government to articulate a recall policy with respect to automobile industry. Till then the public is going to be guinea pig for manufacturers for testing.
Yes, they should introduce anti lemon laws in India or a person would spend his whole life in a consumer court to get a 5 lakh rupee compensation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
It needs nothing short of a replacement (of vehicle)!
The customer is not part of Toyota's R&D, if Toyota has blundered, they need to pay for it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel5915 View Post
That's a bit too much, don't you think?

Manufacturing defects are the main reason of providing a warranty.
Even I agree on that part. If they decide to replace the car then I would get into a lot of trouble. They won't pay for depreciation and I would have to go to my financer to change the car on which loan was provided because they're going to replace the car and not refund the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feluda86 View Post
It is really sad to see flag bearers of modern day quality in cars (Toyota and Honda) failing in QC for their Indian cars. With mandatory crash tests and progress to BS VI adding additional investments for these companies, I can only foresee more of such cost cutting measures by compromising on QC. This is where the consumer protection laws in India need to be stronger - hefty fines need to be imposed on companies which compromise safety or take consumers for a ride by cutting costs on quality.
It is sad indeed. I don't know when these laws will be made but until then we have to suffer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
I made a similar statement about a year ago regarding two Innova that our college owned. One was the old one, the first generation, which had run a lot with zero trouble and the new innova which had traveled a few thousand kilometers with rust developing at the bottom portion of the doors.

Toyota quality is a thing of the past. Finally we sold of the new innova and kept the old one which has covered more than 2,25,000 km without any issue of rust build up. Only normal routine service done.
Are you talking about crysta or the last generation of old innova. You should've got the doors replaced under warranty because having owned the old innova (2009 model) I don't think this issue should occur unless the vehicle was driven in harsh conditions with the doors under water but looking at the Quality in the crysta anything could happen.
Shreyas Agarwal is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review GTO Official New Car Reviews 1044 20th November 2017 18:00
ICE upgrade for the Toyota Innova Crysta sridhu In-Car Entertainment 74 5th September 2017 15:23
Replacing our 2 lakh km Innova - Toyota Innova Crysta vs Ford Endeavour icyspikey SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 31 16th May 2017 18:48
Toyota Innova Crysta @ Auto Expo 2016 GTO The Indian Car Scene 879 17th June 2016 10:38
Valparai -> Famed route -> Kochi: Monsoon magic from ghats to beaches KESriram Travelogues 34 14th August 2010 18:36


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:34.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks