Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 10th June 2017, 15:20   #76
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Water leakage in my new Innova Crysta - where has Toyota's famed quality control gone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Sadly, this isn't a one-off issue. Here's another Innova Crysta with a water leakage problem. Thanks to Husain Mohammed for sharing!
If it happened with 2 vehicles, there's definitely something wrong with either the design of the vehicle or the quality control in manufacturing plant. Other crysta owners should keep a watch for similar leaks. It can crop up any time!

And the same post can be taken as a guidance for resolution for @Shreyas. Sad to see Toyota quality control go down like this ( even though the service center seems to be taking care of the problem promptly once it's noticed ). If there's an underlying design issue with the windshield sealing, Toyota should do a proactive recall!
amalji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2017, 15:41   #77
BHPian

Default Re: Water leakage in my new Innova Crysta - where has Toyota's famed quality control gone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
If it happened with 2 vehicles, there's definitely something wrong with either the design of the vehicle or the quality control in manufacturing plant. Other crysta owners should keep a watch for similar leaks. It can crop up any time!

And the same post can be taken as a guidance for resolution for @Shreyas. Sad to see Toyota quality control go down like this ( even though the service center seems to be taking care of the problem promptly once it's noticed ). If there's an underlying design issue with the windshield sealing, Toyota should do a proactive recall!
I guess it's just a QC issue. Did a lot of digging on the Kijang (International name for the Innova) but couldn't find a single water leak issue. This could mean two things:

- It's a problem associated with only Indian cars

- A QC defect at the plant (more likely)
vishy76 is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2017, 17:58   #78
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
I guess it's just a QC issue. Did a lot of digging on the Kijang (International name for the Innova) but couldn't find a single water leak issue. This could mean two things:

- It's a problem associated with only Indian cars

- A QC defect at the plant (more likely)
I agree with Vishy . It seems to be the issue with the Indian Innovas. Even I've searched for some similar problems with the Kijang(International name for Innova as mentioned by vishy) but haven't found any. Guess it's some QC related issue from the plant which is what I assume or do I see any change in quality of products used for the making of Innova in India.
Varun_HexaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2017, 02:07   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, I don't mean to sound facetious here, but... Two is not a very large number, right? It is certainly not large enough to right off either the build quality or QC of a whole model.

It's probably a large enough number for owners to do some hose testing. And even one is a large enough number to want to know that the company and dealer are fixing it.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2017, 08:45   #80
Senior - BHPian

OT - New accessory idea for Toyota Innova Crysta!
This is a serious issue and does not look like anything to do with a specific production batch. First is a May-2017 car and latest report is of a Aug-2016 car.

It was raining Innova Crystas till last month, and now it is raining inside Innova Crystas!
(original picture from zigwheels)
Attached Images

Last edited by Latheesh : 11th June 2017 at 08:54.
Latheesh is online now   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2017, 09:07   #81
Senior - BHPian

Two is certainly not a large number but the Monsoon is about to spread and lets hope it doesn't give sleepless nights to Innova owners and Toyota QC team as well.

Never imagined having such thread for Innova Crysta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Guys, I don't mean to sound facetious here, but... Two is not a very large number, right? It is certainly not large enough to right off either the build quality or QC of a whole model.

It's probably a large enough number for owners to do some hose testing. And even one is a large enough number to want to know that the company and dealer are fixing it.
carwatcher is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2017, 10:28   #82
BHPian

Quote:

I agree with you. Yes two is not a large number, but then again what are the chances that only two dealers damaged two cars and weren't able to put them back together.

Either ways, I am just hoping that no Innova owner goes through this. This is the last thing I want after spending 27 big ones and paying a 7 lakh premium over the competetion.
vishy76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2017, 11:23   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Statistically yes. However, Crysta is a very popular model among non-enthusiasts as well. A huge majority of them would be buying it and never posting the details online.

So just the fact that two were reported shows that it's not a one off issue and something is definitely wrong with the QC.

Specially so because Crysta is demanding a huge premium primarily for the Toyota reliability goodwill they've built over the years.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2017, 12:16   #84
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
All cars undergo a shower test after manufacturing. This should have been caught there!
Even motorcycles have to pass the rain shower test to detect if water leaks into the fuel tank. (Water entry test)

Last edited by suresh_gs : 11th June 2017 at 12:27.
suresh_gs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2017, 16:20   #85
BHPian

Gentlemen, maybe we should wait for Shreyas Agarwal to complete his interactions with Toyota and then review what finally transpired. Just a thought - don't want to interrupt a passionate discussion.
V.Narayan is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2017, 17:00   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, true. I was wondering if I might have missed an update.

Well, OK. There is a difference between a one off and hearing of another case. And if we are able to confirm that the cause is the same, it is enough for Toyota to ask themselves if they might have a problem. And if they have, even if it is only with a very few vehicles, they need to be ready with a quick fix to minimise customer annoyance and maintain their reputation.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2017, 18:50   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas Agarwal View Post

I checked everything before delivery but all was fine or it could be my ignorance. My car is now with the dealer and the windshield is being replaced so cannot check it.
Oh, i missed this small bit in the long post on the second page of this thread. Toyota already replaced the windshield? Is it leaking now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
But my bigger worry is, I've never seen these kind of threads or posts on the older Innova.
Probably because older Innova was launched in 2005 and team-bhp was also in its infancy at that time. So obviously whetever problems there was would have been fixed during the later years.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2017, 20:12   #88
BHPian

I am very sorry, I could not keep you updated for the last few days as I was busy.

In the last few days I was full of regret. I want to take back every single word, I spoke about Toyota's ignorance to the issue, I want to make it the Dealer's ignorance (Sunny Toyota).

After an e-mail to the higher-ups at TKM. I was called the next day by a person from Toyota. He asked me if I could send the vehicle to toyota again for thorough investigation in presence of a representative from TKM. The issue was resolved from the dealer's side by then but they said it would be a thorough investigation about how and why did the issue occur and if it was properly resolved or not.

I was explained the whole issue as follows:

The car passed the shower test and a pressure wash before delivery but after a few kilometers running, the sealant overshrinked due to some unknown reason and this led to the leak.

They apologized for the delay and inconvenience caused. They even paid me for the fuel which was used for the repeated trips to the service center.

The service staff also messed up while replacing the windshield, there were a few black spots on the bonnet which were removed right away when the TKM representative pointed out.

The GM Customer Service, who misbehaved with me during the whole incident came to my home (150 kms away from the service center) with a nice bouquet and sweets just to apologize. He is threatened that he would be fired if I am still not satisfied. He is also alleged that because of his bad behaviour, I uploaded the video and he would be fired if I do not remove the video as his MD thinks that it was uploaded because of his bad behaviour in the first place.

So, I think as a courtesy, I should remove the video because I don't want someone to lose his job. Please advise me on this part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
OT - New accessory idea for Toyota Innova Crysta!
No need for making a new accessory, they could use this one
Water leakage in my new Innova Crysta - where has Toyota's famed quality control gone?-car-tent.jpg

With Regards,
Shreyas Kumar Agarwal
Shreyas Agarwal is offline   (14) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2017, 20:16   #89
Senior - BHPian

That again proves the theory that whenever any complaint is raised to Toyota they take side of the customer and investigate the matter in detail and grill the dealer as to why did the complaint reached them in first place.

Kudos to Toyota, its for nothing they have extremely Loyal customers.
carwatcher is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2017, 20:25   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas Agarwal View Post
The GM Customer Service, who misbehaved with me during the whole incident came to my home (150 kms away from the service center) with a nice bouquet and sweets just to apologize. He is threatened that he would be fired if I am still not satisfied. He is also alleged that because of his bad behaviour, I uploaded the video and he would be fired if I do not remove the video as his MD thinks that it was uploaded because of his bad behaviour in the first place.
First of all, happy that the incident has been resolved by Toyota. Hope you'll have a wonderful ownership experience now on.

That said, what damage has been done by the dealership cannot be undone because they corrected their ways after the escalation went to the company. I don't think such a practice has been followed by team-bhp earlier, nor would be followed in this case.

You've been fair to them if you reported the correct info, and now updated the resolution as well provided by Toyota, which happens to be a happy ending. IMO, truth is justice enough and hence no need to repent.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 11th June 2017 at 20:26.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote