Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 22nd June 2017, 12:09   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Injector Cleaning in my Swift

Detailed work! I am surprised to see someone going so much intensively into carrying out such maintenance activity. I only wish I had the same amount of free time to get my hands dirty on such things. I would love to do that. If your car was under warranty, you could have simply asked them to change the injector(s).

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Diesel Purge Test

Initially we thought of disconnecting the inlet and return lines from the injection pump and putting it into the bottle of diesel purge but that will not work as the injection pump cannot generate enough pressure required for the Purge to work. The injection pump will function when there is a constant pressure feed into its inlet that will then amplify and send it to the rail pressure and injectors. Hence the need for a spare pump was necessary (please correct me if I am wrong, noob in these areas yet).
Yes, the high pressure pump cant prime itself. It needs the Low pressure pump to work. But what I am curious to know is, was the owner of the other car aware of the fuel pump being removed and used for this? If someone had done this to my car while I had left it for service, I would not be ok with it. I understand you had limited options, but I hope the owner of the other car was aware of this.

And when you test the fuel return quantities, was the car run at the same ambient conditions both before and after? Though it is clearly pointing out to the injectors which appear to be more clogged than their co-workers, but the quantity of fuel returned can vary from condition to condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

Reason:There was probably no issue with the Injectors at all. The ASC was very particular when they drove and said if the injectors are clogged, there is this distinct knocking like noise when you rev up or even in idle. None of this was present in my case.

When I showed the video you shared with that noisy knocking, It became very evident that the issue was indeed with the injectors and nothing else. Hence, I am very interested to see a Before-After comparison here. Please share if you have that. At least that can be a wonderful success story to share here.
True, in your case the engine runs smooth. There is only a hesitation to accelerate. If there is an issue with the injector, the knocking sound is prominent irrespective of the condition. My neighbours Vento has a faulty injector and believe me, the sound is very prominent and I casually asked him if he had an issue with the injector and he immediately nodded and countered me back asking if I got to know by the noise. Apparently the injectors costed around 20k and the VW service guys were asking to change all four and hence he refused. Its been running like that from a few months now. I find the same sound in the video Anurag has posted. My neighbour did try getting the injectors cleaned at a Bosch Service center but it was of no use it seems.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2017, 12:34   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you for the response

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
But what I am curious to know is, was the owner of the other car aware of the fuel pump being removed and used for this?
The owner of the car is the owner of the FNG so this point is addressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
And when you test the fuel return quantities, was the car run at the same ambient conditions both before and after?
Yes Sir, same conditions.
a4anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2017, 15:51   #33
Senior - BHPian

I think adding a few bottles of the injector purge to half a tank of diesel with a new diesel filter gives same or similar results. Maybe that is an option for someone who does not have access/time to do this elaborate process.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2017, 16:58   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I think adding a few bottles of the injector purge to half a tank of diesel with a new diesel filter gives same or similar results. Maybe that is an option for someone who does not have access/time to do this elaborate process.
The directions on the container say that for acute problem with injectors use it directly into the fuel lines else add to fuel tank.

However, am sure this thread is to show how to troubleshoot if the issue is with injectors or not.

Hence Anurag has also mentioned about fuel return line flow volume testing and then the direct using of the purge solution later.

For a less tedious process, adding contents to tank should ideally result in the same albeit delays and using few more cans.
paragsachania is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2017, 18:48   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Anurag.

Amazing work to pull off a complicated process by your own and well documented as usual.

You have successfully managed to balance the injectors without taking it out.

The noise issue should be resolved now I am sure.

Why injector cleaning is required at 10k kms ?
Hello Kpzen

There is Denso authorized person in jamrudpur delhi , who can clean or repair the injectors . He takes care of all injectors bosch , denso and continental . And the scanning of injectors is FOC .
Safari_Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2017, 19:18   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari_Beast View Post
Hello Kpzen

There is Denso authorized person in jamrudpur delhi , who can clean or repair the injectors . He takes care of all injectors bosch , denso and continental . And the scanning of injectors is FOC .
Thanks Gurpreet.
My cars don't need injectors cleaning as of now.
And, even if they do, I shall have find a source here down south in Bangalore.
kpzen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2017, 20:34   #37
BHPian

I have a noob question. I was going through Liqui Moly website. They have products like diesel additives as well as purge. So what is the difference? Which one is to be used when?
shipnil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2017, 09:55   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Will wait for the Before-After videos from you now : Something synonymous with most of your DIYs
+

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Do you have any before/after audio recording of the sound?
Hey guys,

Here's the after video that I recorded yesterday. Do let me know your thoughts.

Kept the accelerator input on the lower side so any noise is clearly heard (Gradual Acceleration, don't mistake it for sluggish response ). Do let me know your thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
I have a noob question. I was going through Liqui Moly website. They have products like diesel additives as well as purge. So what is the difference? Which one is to be used when?
AFAIK, diesel purge is actually manufactured for engines with acute problems and the regular fuel additives are for normal ones that do NOT need any rectifications on priority.

I have used System-D (4 bottles of 250ml) and Adon-D (11 bottles of 160ml) and Liqui Moly Diesel Additive (5 bottles).. All this is since the car was 50,000 kms old. Didn't find any much perceivable difference as I felt post this Diesel Purge activity.

So if your car is running fine, then just get the diesel additive and add the whole bottle to the full tank of fuel and drive around.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2017, 18:59   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Thanks Gurpreet.
My cars don't need injectors cleaning as of now.
And, even if they do, I shall have find a source here down south in Bangalore.
Denso website has the list of people who are authorized by them for different locations .
http://www.denso.co.in/densoservicenetwork.aspx

Last edited by bblost : 23rd June 2017 at 22:28. Reason: Typo: Deno -> Denso. Fixed.
Safari_Beast is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2017, 10:37   #40
BHPian

Quote:
With the car on the other side of 1,00,000 kms, issues have started cropping up slowly. The lower arm bushes need a change, the engine sound and feel is going downwards. There is a sort of knocking/'missing-like' sound when on medium load.
Nice study. This service is now available in select 3M Stores across India. Feedback from customers were similarly impressive. This simply suggests fuel quality / hardware incompatibility in long run. May be AOEMs need to get this service into their mandated space too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Jaggu, how much has your thar clocked? Lets PM offline.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 24th June 2017 at 11:30. Reason: broken quote fixed
gopa99 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2017, 13:47   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopa99 View Post
Nice study. This service is now available in select 3M Stores across India.
===
Jaggu, how much has your thar clocked? Lets PM offline.
Oh when did that start? Any stores in BLR?

I sold my swift at about 75k kms but it worked absolutely flawless till then, never had any issues. Need to check what was the reading when we did that r&d work

For the people who are wondering what this is all about, I had tried the injector cleaning job using 3M couple of years back when I had the Swift with me. This was using the machine set up and 3m cleaning liquids, never knew they launched the service.

ps: your phone number remains same?
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2017, 14:08   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Oh when did that start? Any stores in BLR?

I sold my swift at about 75k kms but it worked absolutely flawless till then, never had any issues. Need to check what was the reading when we did that r&d work ps: your phone number remains same?
Yes Jaggu, as I gather, the initial launch is restricted to Hyundai, Maruti and Toyota vehicles. This is more related to training and deployment bandwidth. In BLR, the dollars colony store is in the list.
My number remains the same. We are looking for some real smoky and lazy cars (under 5 years of ownership) for testing in ARAI. You can PM me if you have referrals.
gopa99 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2017, 16:14   #43
BHPian

Extremely detailed thread a4anurag.

My vista with the national engine has just touched 1,62,000kms.

Now a days, the engine feels a bit coarse, the pick up is a bit slower and there is some oil consumption. I would also love to try cleaning its injectors.
petroguzzler is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2017, 16:41   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
Now a days, the engine feels a bit coarse, the pick up is a bit slower and there is some oil consumption. I would also love to try cleaning its injectors.
Before attempting​ this, first clean the intake manifold, EGR valve + cooler and intercooler.

If these don't yield any solution then go for this injector​ purge.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2017, 18:16   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Before attempting​ this, first clean the intake manifold, EGR valve + cooler and intercooler.

If these don't yield any solution then go for this injector​ purge.
Thanks. I generally service my car at a FNG. Would FNG's in general be able to clean the job?
petroguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote