Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2017, 21:01   #1
BHPian
 
arjuunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Alleppey
Posts: 44
Thanked: 27 Times
Default BMW 320d E90 - Flex Pipe Leak

Hey Guys, I need advice!

Recently my BMW (320d E90) has developed a leak in the flex pipe (after catalytic converter) which has resulted in a growling noise. Unfortunately BMW service won't be able to repair the flex pipe, instead they have advised me to replace the entire catalytic converter unit, which costs a whopping 1.68 Lakh + Tax and Labour Charges. I'm confused what to do at this point, is there any alternative other than replacing the whole unit. Attached are some of the pictures of the damage.

BMW 320d E90 - Flex Pipe Leak-whatsapp-image-20170624-8.48.00-pm.jpeg

BMW 320d E90 - Flex Pipe Leak-whatsapp-image-20170624-8.50.03-pm.jpeg

BMW 320d E90 - Flex Pipe Leak-whatsapp-image-20170624-9.00.21-pm.jpeg

Thanks.

Last edited by GTO : 26th June 2017 at 10:09. Reason: Language
arjuunz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 24th June 2017, 21:10   #2
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,660
Thanked: 6,085 Times
Default Re: BMW 320d E90 - Flex Pipe Leak

Its very much available as a separate part. Its always worth checking online part catalogues - I think you are looking for something like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-GENUIN...-/182320154382

This may not be the exact part for your car, but if you PM or post your vin here I may be able to help you with the exact part number.
Akshay1234 is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2017, 21:16   #3
BHPian
 
arjuunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Alleppey
Posts: 44
Thanked: 27 Times
Default Re: BMW 320d E90 - Flex Pipe Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
Its very much available as a separate part. Its always worth checking online part catalogues - I think you are looking for something like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-GENUIN...-/182320154382

This may not be the exact part for your car, but if you PM or post your vin here I may be able to help you with the exact part number.
I saw a similar part in AliExpress, But I was not sure if its possible to replace just the flex pipe. According to BMW its not possible to replace just the flex pipe.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3-x-...a-76e2fed34119
arjuunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2017, 21:25   #4
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,660
Thanked: 6,085 Times
Default Re: BMW 320d E90 - Flex Pipe Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjuunz View Post
I saw a similar part in AliExpress, But I was not sure if its possible to replace just the flex pipe. According to BMW its not possible to replace just the flex pipe.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3-x-...a-76e2fed34119
My friend if it is a sub part in the BMW part catalogue it means the part can be replaced. They wouldn't produce and publish a part in their catalogue if it couldn't be replaced.
Akshay1234 is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2017, 21:40   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
AbhiJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,282
Thanked: 415 Times
Default Re: BMW 320d E90 - Flex Pipe Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
My friend if it is a sub part in the BMW part catalogue it means the part can be replaced. They wouldn't produce and publish a part in their catalogue if it couldn't be replaced.
Akshay1234, is this area pressurized? Since its after the catalytic convertor , I am guessing no?

Also what does the temperature reach in this area? Any idea?

I am asking because I might be able to suggest a simple solution.
AbhiJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2017, 23:10   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,828
Thanked: 1,437 Times
Default Re: BMW 320d E90 - Flex Pipe Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjuunz View Post
Attached are some of the picture of the damage.
Going by your pictures, it looks like the braiding and not the hose is damaged.
If that is the case, I'd suggest you wrap it up with steel tape and live with it till you procure something VFM from the open market.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2017, 23:14   #7
BHPian
 
arjuunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Alleppey
Posts: 44
Thanked: 27 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Going by your pictures, it looks like the braiding and not the hose is damaged.

If that is the case, I'd suggest you wrap it up with steel tape and live with it till you procure something VFM from the open market.

The hose is also damaged, I had confirmed it when they lifted the car for inspection. Also if the hose didn't have a leak, it wouldn't make the noice.
arjuunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2017, 14:47   #8
BHPian
 
james's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 545
Thanked: 455 Times
Default Re: BMW 320d E90 - Flex Pipe Leak

Get in touch with a good garage that fixes such cars. This flex pipe is available in the market in various sizes. It shouldn't be hard for the mech to source and install one.

If you can wait, have an OE part imported- Unless you can convince the clowns at bmw india that its available with them as a separate part.

Cheers.
james is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BMW E90 lci 320d exclusive differential Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 46 3rd April 2017 14:40
E90 BMW 320d Rear Brake Pad Replacement moralfibre Technical Stuff 10 23rd February 2017 10:21
Wanted - Wheel & Tyre set for BMW E90 320d - 17" or 18" BikerSG Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 12 9th October 2015 21:17


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:41.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks