Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 7th July 2017, 19:20   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Recurring electrical problem in my BMW 320d. EDIT: Now solved

Latest update on the car.

Yesterday the tech head at Infinity sent me a message on WhatsApp that both headlight control units were being changed and they will test drive and observe the car for any repeat errors. After taking test drives yesterday and today it seems the ASC is ready to deliver the car back to me.

Considering the history of this case I am not sure if the headlight control unit was the real issue and how confident BMW and their dealer is that this has resolved the issue for good. I had a telephone call over this with the CRM at Infinity and asked them to ask BMW to give me a written assurance that the problem is resolved for good and in case the problem recurs then what course of action would be taken to make my ownership experience up to the standards expected from BMW.

I will wait for them to respond to this expectation of mine before taking delivery. The entire episode has left a bitter taste and rightly so. I am not sure what other options I have at this stage except for this written assurance from the company that they have finally managed to track down the problem and have resolved it.

Last edited by amit : 7th July 2017 at 19:21.
amit is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2017, 19:40   #17
Senior - BHPian

You did the right thing by asking for a written statement. I hope it is resolved for good. Don't let this experience linger on and dampen your spirits. It's an awesome car, enjoy and drive safe.
androdev is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2017, 13:03   #18
Senior - BHPian

UPDATE

As expected, I got a very generic email from BMW that they acknowledge the inconvenience I have faced but that they have now repaired the car under the guidelines of BMW Technical team and that issue is rectified now.

There was no mention of what would be their course of action in case the issue repeats.

Anyway, since Infinity and my Service Advisor were very helpful throughout my ordeal I decided to take the car back based on the reassurance from them.

I took my car back on July 11. Looking at the intermittent nature of these errors only time will tell if the issue has been resolved for good.

Post taking delivery I have written another email to them explaining my disappointment at their reluctance to give me in writing what I wanted.

Last edited by amit : 13th July 2017 at 13:05.
amit is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2017, 15:43   #19
Senior - BHPian

UPDATE

The car has been performing flawlessly since July 11 when I took delivery from Infinity, Turbhe.

When I bought the car I also took BSI - Repair Inclusive for 3 years / 60,000 kms. Few days back I got an email from BMW extending my BRI package. My car has now got BRI coverage for 4 years / 2,00,000 Kms.

This is a very good gesture by BMW and it shows they stand behind their product & the ability of their technical team & authorised dealers to sort out problems in their cars. I am very pleased by this gesture.

I hope the error free run continues for good. The pleasure of driving this car is something else and with no irritating alerts and errors I am once again having a great time driving the 320d.

Last edited by amit : 19th July 2017 at 15:45.
amit is offline   (17) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2017, 16:19   #20
BHPian

Post re: Recurring electrical problem in my BMW 320d. EDIT: Now solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
UPDATE

The car has been performing flawlessly since July 11 when I took delivery from Infinity, Turbhe.
Glad to know that the niggle has been fixed. Yes, it is a nice gesture by BMW to have extended your warranty by a year / 200000 Kms. I am sure they do not want any negative feedback from customers, especially over some thing that was not identified even after repeated fixes.
swissknife is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2017, 16:27   #21
BHPian

Quote:
UPDATE

When I bought the car I also took BSI - Repair Inclusive for 3 years / 60,000 kms. Few days back I got an email from BMW extending my BRI package. My car has now got BRI coverage for 4 years / 2,00,000 Kms.
Great to know about the BSI extension from BMW. Knowing BMW, I was waiting for them to do something like this after reading posts about your car's issues.
the_skyliner is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2017, 16:39   #22
BHPian

Quote:
UPDATE

I hope the error free run continues for good. The pleasure of driving this car is something else and with no irritating alerts and errors I am once again having a great time driving the 320d.

Glad to know your issue is fixed successfully. Time to roll again!

But come to think of it, we don't really know if the real gremlin was the Canbus cables or the headlamp clusters or they both were collectively responsible together for creating the mischief. :rolleyes:

Anyway, what the heck, you should be concentrating on enjoying the car again right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
I am sure they do not want any negative feedback from customers, especially over some thing that was not identified even after repeated fixes.
Ya, really, BMW have indeed done a great job and shown how it's done though there was some inconvenience involved. Other so-called car manufacturers who charge a bomb for their product and even more for the pathetic "service" which they dish out should learn a thing or two from these guys. Leave alone giving freebies, they don't even manage to solve the issue at hand properly. Doing that alone would be enough for the customer to be happy.

Last edited by Samurai : 22nd July 2017 at 17:35. Reason: typo
pixantz is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2017, 15:40   #23
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Recurring electrical problem in my BMW 320d. EDIT: Now solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post

But come to think of it, we don't really know if the real gremlin was the Canbus cables or the headlamp clusters or they both were collectively responsible together for creating the mischief. :rolleyes:
That is the problem with these electronic errors. I guess that's the result of having a plethora of sensors & modules & cables running through the length and breath of these cars.

I hope I am not getting paranoid but the intermittent nature of the errors has me still on tenterhooks. Let's say I am still monitoring the situation on a day today basis but everyday without the errors flashing is bringing back the confidence I had in the reliability of the car.
amit is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote