Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 5th August 2017, 19:14   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: '04 Hyundai Elantra CRDi engine seized. Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by princezahed View Post
It does have an overheating problem whenever the high beam is switched on
That points to a wiring problem. Maybe something as minor as a instrument panel earthing problem. Or as major (=costly) as a wiring replacement. Modern cars with iffy wiring are a no-no.
So one more thing to factor in.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2017, 00:03   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: '04 Hyundai Elantra CRDi engine seized. Now what?

13 years up dude, time to R.I.P. the car (and trust me, I rarely say that). Don't get into the hassle of swapping engines & enduring the resultant lack of reliability.

If there was sentimental value attached to the car (my Classic) or if it was a special breed (e.g. W124), I'd suggest rebuilding the current engine. Always better to do that over swapping. A known devil is better than an unknown angel. However, since neither of the points apply, I'd suggest you just let her go.

Time to move on to greener pastures .
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2017, 11:08   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
That points to a wiring problem. Maybe something as minor as a instrument panel earthing problem. Or as major (=costly) as a wiring replacement. Modern cars with iffy wiring are a no-no.
So one more thing to factor in.

Regards
Sutripta
Yes. I did some research online and a faulty wiring is the most probable cause. Right now iam on the verge of just leaving the car as it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
13 years up dude, time to R.I.P. the car (and trust me, I rarely say that). Don't get into the hassle of swapping engines & enduring the resultant lack of reliability.

If there was sentimental value attached to the car (my Classic) or if it was a special breed (e.g. W124), I'd suggest rebuilding the current engine. Always better to do that over swapping. A known devil is better than an unknown angel. However, since neither of the points apply, I'd suggest you just let her go.

Time to move on to greener pastures .
No sentimental value at all. It has served me well. The only reason I even thought of engine rebuild or swap was because I wanted to sell it so that some poor soul could enjoy a powerful and relatively comfortable car for a small amount.
princezahed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2017, 10:59   #19
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: '04 Hyundai Elantra CRDi engine seized. Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by princezahed View Post
When did you get the engine rebuilt for your Tucson ?
I just don't know where to start. 2 mechanics have said that parts are expensive and cost can go over 1 lakh.
Sorry, I just missed this question,
My rebuild was done, I believe, in 2016/late 2015. She has been going strong post that, and has just managed to complete a Spiti circuit with zero hiccups. But this was done by a trusted mechanic who was genuinely interested in the well-being of my wallet and my car.
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2017, 15:14   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Sorry, I just missed this question,
My rebuild was done, I believe, in 2016/late 2015. She has been going strong post that, and has just managed to complete a Spiti circuit with zero hiccups. But this was done by a trusted mechanic who was genuinely interested in the well-being of my wallet and my car.
Finding trusted mechanics is the problem. Everyone is interested in taking the easier route and suggesting that I do not get the rebuild done. If you don't mind can you let me know the cost for your rebuild. If am not mistaken the Elantra and Tucson share the same engine .
princezahed is online now   Reply With Quote