Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 5th August 2017, 09:59   #1
BHPian

Default '04 Hyundai Elantra CRDi engine seized. Now what?

Hi guys. I own a 2004 Elantra crdi. On a recent trip back from kushalnagar to Bangalore, there was a weird noise that came from the engine bay. Suddenly all the lights on the dashboard lit up, the engine lost power and stalled on the highway. After many attempts to start the car, it started but there was thick black smoke coming from the exhaust and engine bay so I switched it off. Fortunately, it was just near kunigal town, so I was able to get a tow truck and bring it back to Bangalore.

Back in Bangalore, the car was sent to a garage known to my brother in law . Apparently diesel leaked into the oil and the pistons seized. The car has run about 1.4 lakh kms. The mechanic is saying the engine rebuild is a costly affair and is suggesting I purchase a used engine from gujri in exchange of my seized engine. The cost for the same is 80k plus consumables and labor which will bring it up to 1 lakh. The used engine doesn't come with any warranty or guarantee so am skeptical of spending so much on an unknown engine.

What other options do I have? Will it be possible to fit a 1.6 crdi engine from the fluidic Verna in case iam able to find one ? Or can some other engine be swapped in place of my old engine?

I was actually planning to sell the Elantra and purchase another car when this drama happened. Now iam confused what to do. My options are:

1) Get the engine rebuild done which will cost over a lakh in a fng or spend more and get it done in a Hyundai service center. In such a case I will have to keep using the car for few years more as I would have spent a lot on the rebuild and selling it would be a loss.

2) Exchange my seized engine for another used engine which doesn't come with any warranty or guarantee and spend around 1 lakh for the same. In such a case, the thought will always be at the back of my mind regarding if or when this engine might start giving trouble too.

3) Try and fix another engine, perhaps a 1.6 litre crdi from the fluidic Verna which I hope will be more reliable than the old 2 litre engine of the Elantra apart from being more powerful too. Would it be possible to do this ? What could be some of the issues in such an engine swap ?

4) Just leave the car as it is and probably try to sell it in parts so that I can recover some amount.

Iam totally confused and have just left the car in the garage right now till I can think of something. What do I do ?
princezahed is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2017, 10:37   #2
BHPian

Default re: '04 Hyundai Elantra CRDi engine seized. Now what?

My opinion is to dispose the car in any manner you can get the maximum bucks.

Engine swap is not worth the trouble for such old and discontinued car which has no or minimal value in used car market. It is other scenario if it has any sentimental value.
gupta_chd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2017, 11:00   #3
Senior - BHPian

Suggestions in below order

- Swap the engine with another used one. I hope it shouldn't cost more than 50k (including any minor repairs and labor) if you could find the right source. As a comparison, my friend swapped his Accent CRDi engine for less than 25k

- <if there are no other known issues with the car> Get the engine rebuild properly and use it for another 40k km before you swap the car. Otherwise it's gonna be a big loss to sell the car after rebuild

Keeping it aside and selling as spares will be a headache and IMO it won't fetch you anything over the scrap value
Mr.Boss is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2017, 11:32   #4
Senior - BHPian

Sell it as scrap. No point plonking down a lot of money on something which is so old.
reignofchaos is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2017, 11:44   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by princezahed View Post
I was actually planning to sell the Elantra and purchase another car when this drama happened. Now iam confused what to do. My options are:

1) Get the engine rebuild done which will cost over a lakh
For the old 2.0 diesel, this is going to be expensive and parts will be hard to come by.

Quote:

2) Exchange my seized engine for another used engine which doesn't come with any warranty
Maybe worth it if you want to keep the car and get an engine in decent quality. You'll always be living life on the edge.

Quote:

3) Try and fix another engine, perhaps a 1.6 litre crdi from the fluidic Verna
Not sure that can be done as mounting points for engine, transmission, drive shafts etc might be different between platforms.

Quote:

4) Just leave the car as it is and probably try to sell it in parts so that I can recover some amount.
Option no.4 is best since you were planning to sell it anyway. Get a nice car for yourself. The Elantra has served you well for 1.5 L kms.

Get a pre-owned vehicle if you don't have a high budget?
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2017, 12:01   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys. I own a 2004 Elantra crdi. On a recent trip back from kushalnagar to Bangalore, there was a weird noise that came from the engine bay. Suddenly all the lights on the dashboard lit up, the engine lost power and stalled on the highway. After many attempts to start the car, it started but there was thick black smoke coming from the exhaust and engine bay so I switched it off. Fortunately, it was just near kunigal town, so I was able to get a tow truck and bring it back to Bangalore.
The resale value of the Elantra is really bad. You might get around a 1.5 lakhs if the car is in running condition, and around 40,000 INR if it is dead but all other things are working. I'd say selling it off as scrap is a better option. There could be reliability issues since this would be an used engine.

If you're keen on retaining the car, have it checked somewhere else to see the extent of the damage. If it is just the piston rings, I think some FNGs would be able to help. Many Taxi cars get their piston rings changed. However, if there are structural cracks, the engine block is not usable. You have to replace it, and that doesn't make sense considering the cost involved and possible reliability issues.
Nissan1180 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2017, 12:07   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gupta_chd View Post
My opinion is to dispose the car in any manner you can get the maximum bucks.

Engine swap is not worth the trouble for such old and discontinued car which has no or minimal value in used car market. It is other scenario if it has any sentimental value.
No sentimental value at all. Though it has served me well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Suggestions in below order

- Swap the engine with another used one. I hope it shouldn't cost more than 50k (including any minor repairs and labor) if you could find the right source. As a comparison, my friend swapped his Accent CRDi engine for less than 25k

- Get the engine rebuild properly and use it for another 40k km before you swap the car. Otherwise it's gonna be a big loss to sell the car after rebuild

Keeping it aside and selling as spares will be a headache and IMO it won't fetch you anything over the scrap value

Have been quoted 80k for a used engine upon exchange of my old engine. I feel its too high a cost to pay especially since there is no guarantee of the engine. A new engine rebuild will cost atleast 1.25 lakhs which is around the sale price of an Elantra of this age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Sell it as scrap. No point plonking down a lot of money on something which is so old.

any idea how much I may be able to get if its scrapped ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
For the old 2.0 diesel, this is going to be expensive and parts will be hard to come by.

Maybe worth it if you want to keep the car and get an engine in decent quality. You'll always be living life on the edge.

Not sure that can be done as mounting points for engine, transmission, drive shafts etc might be different between platforms.

Option no.4 is best since you were planning to sell it anyway. Get a nice car for yourself. The Elantra has served you well for 1.5 L kms.

Get a pre-owned vehicle if you don't have a high budget?
I do have my eyes on a 320d or will go ahead with a Jetta.
princezahed is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2017, 12:09   #8
BHPian

Not related to your query, but any pointers to the sudden mix of diesel and oil?
Rebuild/swap will be a hit or miss affair. I Personally have used a rebuilt accent crdi for 1lakh plus kms post the overhaul and I still see the car doing chores for the present owner. But my mechanic used to say that somehow things fell in place for me and used to urge me to dispose the car at the earliest, the reason being his experience with rebuilt crdi engines.
crdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2017, 12:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

The Elantra is a pretty good car. It does not posses any great resale value as it is, so I'd say rebuild the engine based on the condition of the rest of the car. Is the suspension up to the mark? How many kms has the car done? Spend a lakh or so on rebuilding the engine and taking care of some other stuff with the car and run it to the ground or till some hideous regulations come into force.

There is no way you can plonk a Verna engine into the car as that would mess up the balance, could make the front-end too light and our RTO has no provision to do this. Your car will become un-insurable and illegal to drive on the roads. Might as well sell it for scrap if you intend on blowing cash in that manner.

The question is, why do you feel hesitant to spend around a lakh rebuilding and fixing your car? Does the rest of it not perform upto the mark? Is it plagued with issues? Were you sick and tired of the car to begin with? If you can't find a reason as to why you're hesitant on spending around a lakh fixing it, then fix it. AND while you're at it, and the car is stripped apart, ask for a fresh coat of paint or splurge on some good quality projectors and HIDs or something fresh to reignite your passion of owning the thing. At the end of the day 1.25-15 lakhs spent on a car that will perform well is a good thing no. You won't have any regrets. As long as you have another car or are okay with another mode of transport for upto 2 months, do the rebuild. Selling it for scrap, buying another car etc. are all unnecessary ways in which to blow cash.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 5th August 2017 at 12:59.
IshaanIan is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2017, 14:11   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Have been quoted 80k for a used engine upon exchange of my old engine. I feel its too high a cost to pay especially since there is no guarantee of the engine. A new engine rebuild will cost atleast 1.25 lakhs which is around the sale price of an Elantra of this age.
No point reviving the engine in any manner, neither by exchanging with an old engine nor by rebuilding it. The thing is that the car is at the fag end of its life w.r.t. age and also it has clocked 1.4L kms. And going by your post that you were planning to sell the car, I assume that the other mechanicals are also not in good shape.

According to you the resale value of a running car is approx 1.25L. So no point spending close to a lakh for a car which you were anyway planning to sell and which will fetch you only 25k extra over what you'll spend and this 25k you can recover even if you scrap the car as it is.
auto_enthusiast is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2017, 14:44   #11
BHPian

You get one life. Sell this car and get that 320d. You won't regret it.

Fixing the Elantra is a waste of money + time. Not to mention the constant worry of break down on a middle of a highway always running at the back of your head.

Not worth it IMHO.

Last edited by The Brutailer : 5th August 2017 at 14:46.
The Brutailer is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2017, 14:47   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdi View Post
Not related to your query, but any pointers to the sudden mix of diesel and oil?
Rebuild/swap will be a hit or miss affair. I Personally have used a rebuilt accent crdi for 1lakh plus kms post the overhaul and I still see the car doing chores for the present owner. But my mechanic used to say that somehow things fell in place for me and used to urge me to dispose the car at the earliest, the reason being his experience with rebuilt crdi engines.
I don't know diesel got mixed with oil but the
oil level was certainly more than the maximum level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
The Elantra is a pretty good car. It does not posses any great resale value as it is, so I'd say rebuild the engine based on the condition of the rest of the car. Is the suspension up to the mark? How many kms has the car done? Spend a lakh or so on rebuilding the engine and taking care of some other stuff with the car and run it to the ground or till some hideous regulations come into force.

The question is, why do you feel hesitant to spend around a lakh rebuilding and fixing your car? Does the rest of it not perform upto the mark? Is it plagued with issues? Were you sick and tired of the car to begin with? If you can't find a reason as to why you're hesitant on spending around a lakh fixing it, then fix it. AND while you're at it, and the car is stripped apart, ask for a fresh coat of paint or splurge on some good quality projectors and HIDs or something fresh to reignite your passion of owning the thing. At the end of the day 1.25-15 lakhs spent on a car that will perform well is a good thing no. You won't have any regrets. As long as you have another car or are okay with another mode of transport for upto 2 months, do the rebuild. Selling it for scrap, buying another car etc. are all unnecessary ways in which to blow cash.
the suspension is absolutely fine. No problems at all. It does have an overheating problem whenever the high beam is switched on which goes away as soon as the ac is switched on but apart from that there are no issues that iam aware of.

The only reason iam hesitant is because I was on the verge of selling the car off. So if I have to rebuild the engine then selling it would mean that I would be getting nothing after spending 1.25 lakhs or more and I would have to use the car again for 2 yrs or more. Iam being offered a used engine for 80k but the history of that engine is unknown, and it would be running in my mind as to when this engine might give up onthe me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto_enthusiast View Post
No point reviving the engine in any manner, neither by exchanging with an old engine nor by rebuilding it. The thing is that the car is at the fag end of its life w.r.t. age and also it has clocked 1.4L kms. And going by your post that you were planning to sell the car, I assume that the other mechanicals are also not in good shape.

According to you the resale value of a running car is approx 1.25L. So no point spending close to a lakh for a car which you were anyway planning to sell and which will fetch you only 25k extra over what you'll spend and this 25k you can recover even if you scrap the car as it is.
The mechanical are all fine. The exterior does have its share of scratches thanks to Bangalore roads but the interior is in top condition. I did want to sell it off as I was going in for another car. In case I do revive the engine then I will have to drop that plan and use it for 2 yrs more maybe.
princezahed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2017, 14:51   #13
Senior - BHPian

This is the same engine as the Tucson. Mine had to be rebuilt and new pistons con rods etc were all replaced for 60 odd, all inclusive.
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2017, 15:25   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

I'd say, a 13 year old car is never reliable. Unless you have great attachment to the car or it's a classic, I'd suggest you sell it off.

Even if you spend on an engine rebuild or swap, you will never get the peace of mind.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2017, 17:37   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
This is the same engine as the Tucson. Mine had to be rebuilt and new pistons con rods etc were all replaced for 60 odd, all inclusive.
When did you get the engine rebuilt for your Tucson ?
I just don't know where to start. 2 mechanics have said that parts are expensive and cost can go over 1 lakh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
I'd say, a 13 year old car is never reliable. Unless you have great attachment to the car or it's a classic, I'd suggest you sell it off.

Even if you spend on an engine rebuild or swap, you will never get the peace of mind.
No attachment at all. If its an engine rebuild, I don't mind keeping it for.a few more years, but not in case of a swap.
princezahed is offline   Reply With Quote