Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 11th August 2017, 17:58   #1
BHPian

Default Ford Fiesta steering feedback issue?

Guys I have been facing a strange situation with my Fiesta 1.6. It has hydraulic power steering just like Old gen Ford Figo which I own as well.

Now ever since I bought Fiesta(last year) I have been feeling that during hard cornering the feedback offered by Figo is far superior to that by Fiesta. On Figo, the moment I turn the steering, it wants to return to center in a perfect calibrated way with good amount of return pressure and I have to hold the steering firm to keep turning. On Fiesta this responsiveness to return to center is much less which leaves a very vague feeling. Also I feel Fiesta steering is slightly sticky but it could very well be Placebo effect as well. Both cars turn tack sharp without much roll so I don't think suspension is at fault here.

I complained to Ford guys multiple times but they are simply not able to understand it. I was not able to try this on another Fiesta since I didn't want to risk someone's car.

I have tried below things till now.

1. Alignment/balancing at two different shops.
2. Two different sets of tires. Yoko/Michelin's.
3. PS fluid replacement.
4. My friendly mechanic at FNG removed all steering components except the rack to see if there is any play or stiffness but there is absolutely none. Luckily he could clearly feel the difference between Figo and Fiesta as well.
akshay380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2017, 19:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Ford Fiesta steering feedback issue?

Even though both the Old Figo and Fiesta used similar steering set-ups, the Figo was known to have More steering assistance.
This increased steering assistance could be causing the stronger self centering action.

Lastly, the quality of a steering system is mostly governed by:
1. The quality of feedback that trickles up from the tyres to the steering wheel.
2. The degree of directness & connectness of the steering system.

As far as i am aware, the Old Fiesta was better than the Figo, in above respects.

If you are happy with the 2 points above, then there may not be any issue at all with your car (Psychological)!
abhishek46 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2017, 19:50   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Even though both the Old Figo and Fiesta used similar steering set-ups, the Figo was known to have More steering assistance.
This increased steering assistance could be causing the stronger self centering action.

Lastly, the quality of a steering system is mostly governed by:
1. The quality of feedback that trickles up from the tyres to the steering wheel.
2. The degree of directness & connectness of the steering system.

As far as i am aware, the Old Fiesta was better than the Figo, in above respects.

If you are happy with the 2 points above, then there may not be any issue at all with your car (Psychological)!
Thanks for the reply. Those exact points made me buy another Ford after Figo with its tiny 1.2 motor lacked straight-line punch. Now I have that power but both points are surely lacking in Fiesta and it's not psychological unfortunately :(
akshay380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2017, 19:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

I guess I need to drive your car to see if anything is amiss. I remember you asking about this point a year ago, soon after you got your Fiesta.

I don't see any difference. The Figo being a diesel, has a marginally stiffer steering at low speeds. Else nothing else.
vnabhi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2017, 22:07   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Never thought I'd see such a thread as the old Fiesta has an awesome steering.

Whenever in doubt over whether the problem is specific to your car or not, drive another example. Get behind the wheel of another Fiesta 1.6 and compare it to yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
On Fiesta this responsiveness to return to center is much less which leaves a very vague feeling. Also I feel Fiesta steering is slightly sticky but it could very well be Placebo effect as well.
Taking a wild shot here, but your hose is okay right? Related thread (Ford India recalls over 39,000 units of Figo & Fiesta Classic).
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2017, 22:15   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Never thought I'd see such a thread as the old Fiesta has an awesome steering.

Whenever in doubt over whether the problem is specific to your car or not, drive another example. Get behind the wheel of another Fiesta 1.6 and compare it to yours.

Taking a wild shot here, but your hose is okay right? Related thread (Ford India recalls over 39,000 units of Figo & Fiesta Classic).
Yes trying to get one. Vnabhi is also going to drive mine and see.

Regarding the hose, it's already fixed during last service. The PS fluid was replaced too.
akshay380 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote