Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 29th November 2006, 14:21   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Mayank View Post
I was thinking wheel alignment/balancing or the likes. So this morning, i took it to the johnny at Bimal who did my service last Tuesday.
Well well, I didn't notice this statement on my initial reading, but then I looked for it (Why? Please see here- http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...tml#post303370) and, Bingo!
So you did service and the problem surfaced after that? Most probably it is due to bad brake setting. Do this simple test- Drive you car for 5 min, stop it, and touch each wheel rims. Do you feel excessive heat?
WhiteKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2006, 23:07   #17
BHPian

Default horrified! petrified! mollified!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
Well well, I didn't notice this statement on my initial reading, but then I looked for it (Why? Please see here- http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...tml#post303370) and, Bingo!
So you did service and the problem surfaced after that? Most probably it is due to bad brake setting. Do this simple test- Drive you car for 5 min, stop it, and touch each wheel rims. Do you feel excessive heat?

thank you whitenight.. that is one scary experience indeed!!... But I have a few questions:
Do the touch the brake setting on first service?
I have not really felt a major shudder in the body of the car. Just on my right foot..but there was this shudder that i felt on one occasion while braking on mysore road.. thought it was some road defect that time.. really dont know.. But if it really is the brake then shouldn't I be feeling a shudder in the body.. a significant one?
But I will perform the heated-up-wheel-rim check that you have suggested..
I guess my best bet would be to contact psycho and get an expert to tell me if there really is a problem [:d]
MC Mayank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2006, 09:44   #18
JRD
BHPian

hey mayank ..
one of my friends had a similar issue,. we tried a couple of thing and its gone now.. so you might wanna give it a shot..
1. balancing all four wheels..
2. tyre pressure make sure its not more then required, also check the valve for any leaks..
3. if its a zxi then ask the dealer to check it.. there was a recall in ahmedabad for zxi owners..
4. check the tyre for any uneven blisters. sometimes because of a defective tube it has vibrations.( i bet you have the jk tornados)
5.the brake caliper might have a problem disengaging on any one wheel. that explains because it goes away after a while.
and last thing
6. try replacing the accelarator cable..
hope this helps.
later
JRD.
JRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2006, 11:26   #19
Team-BHP Support

take it to the service guy, put him as passenger and test drive and replicate the problem, this will give them a better picture
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2006, 11:35   #20
BHPian

JRD - I am really hoping I don't get to the stage where I have to perform all of those checks bro.. [] .. I have a vxi though..

@ Whiteknight.. I drove to office right now - 40 min drive. Got off and checked the rims.. the 2 front rims are hotter than the rear 2. Is this normal?
I am not really feeling the problem in city limits..thats maybe also because the roads are not as good as the Mysore road so I don't feel confident enough to say whether its the road or the wheels..
MC Mayank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2006, 13:58   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Mayank View Post
@ Whiteknight.. I drove to office right now - 40 min drive. Got off and checked the rims.. the 2 front rims are hotter than the rear 2. Is this normal?
I am not really feeling the problem in city limits..thats maybe also because the roads are not as good as the Mysore road so I don't feel confident enough to say whether its the road or the wheels..
40Min is too long man, the brakes will be hot anyway (especially when it is bumber to bumber), and I think the bias would be more to the front- Experts please comment

There is a chance that the problem would go off on its own, as the brake settles down on its own

Also, my comments are based on my experience. This could happen due to other issues too, as many others pointed out here
WhiteKnight is offline   Reply With Quote