Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 8th December 2006, 20:24   #31
Team-BHP Support

Check these statements:

Except under extremely dirty conditions the K & N air filter needs to only be cleaned every 30,000 to 50,000 miles of driving. Do note it is miles, not Kilometers.

David Cooley reported on a magazine test of aftermarket air filters. The paper filters were respectable, but the K&N and Accell filters flowed almost 3 times as much air when dirty as clean paper filters of the same size. The K&N passed less particulate matter than the paper filter; as it got dirtier outside, they sprayed on a new coat of oil (without cleaning) and found it filtered even better.

K&N filters change your engine sound, rarely need replacement, and flow better when dirty. Other than that, you may not notice much difference unless you have a high-efficiency exhaust and performance engine. There has been debate over the actual filtering ability of these filters; the power boost on TBI cars is negligible.

Sources:
K & N
25 Are K&N filters worth it?
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2006, 23:18   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Actually I don't why, but that is what I have heard. I am hoping somebody else here will enlighten us.
Was searching the net and happened to come accross this ->
K&N Air Filter Facts
This explains what Samurai has said..
Regards
Kaushik
kaushik_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2006, 23:52   #33
BHPian

@Samurai, thanks for clearing up the doubts about the numbers! btw, I've done just around 10k on my K&N.....sorry about pulling the numbers out of a hat, I was at work and didn't think of going to the K&N site first

I'll keep that in mind - the fact that just oiling the filter even when dirty will help filtering AND air flow.

And yes, from what I've seen, Stevie's is a stock replacement filter rather than a conical, open air intake one....

Stevie, correct me if I'm wrong (now)!
vezj420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2007, 14:38   #34
BHPian

Smile K&n Filter Oil in Delhi

Hi,

Could someonne let me know where to find the oil in Delhi/Gurgaon
for cleaning k&n stock filter.
dhir_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2007, 20:33   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellspawn View Post
washing,blowing air into it will only spoil the filter.
Help!! My car was just serviced. I told them not to replace the airfilter during the car's service as it had a K&N. They asked if they could clean it. They said they would clean it by blowing air through it! And I said Okay not knowing that it would be bad! After the service I saw the filter tho. It was still same. Blackish remains and all. Does that mean my airfilter's spoilt now? :cry

-Absar
Absar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2007, 20:37   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Could someonne let me know where to find the oil in Delhi/Gurgaon
for cleaning k&n stock filter.
you can contact autopsyche or Driven ,both are members here.
faithless_1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2007, 20:15   #37
elf
BANNED

Cleaned my Universal about 5000 km ago in August 2006.

Firstly, this is the filter I have:

A friend (& co-BHPian) & me got together in my garage. We removed the filter & washed it in running water. Just regular running water, from the inside out. No soap, no detergent, no compressed air.

After ensuring that the water flowing out was clean (heck, it was a lot of water), I shook out the excess water & took it back home to air dry it under my fan in my bedroom. Wifey thought it looked sweet & we should leave it there as an objet d'art for the room. Appropriate dirty look to her followed.

Six hours (not required, but didn't feel like going down so soon again - it was a Sunday) later, took the nice dry air filter & sprayed it with enough K&N oil to coat a battle tank. Installed it in the car again, tightened bolts & am happy.

Suggest you guys do the same, every 30-40K kms in Bombay city type driving conditions. Those of you who live in dusty villages (anyplace that's not Bombay) do it sooner.

QED.

Last edited by elf : 25th March 2007 at 20:16.
elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2007, 21:12   #38
Team-BHP Support

I thought your not supposed to use water or excess oil on the filter. too much oil will result in oil getting sucked into the intake.

elfie your being sarcastic right??
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2007, 00:05   #39
elf
BANNED

Nope vid. If the filter leaves out microscopic dust particles by default, how's it going to suck in much larger particles of oil?
elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2007, 00:14   #40
Team-BHP Support

The oil itself acts as a filter. If there was no oil it would allow more air and subsequently dust to pass through like a cloth filter.
The cloth being porous will allow the oil to soak through. If overly oiled the oil will reach the inner side of the filter. Since the oil particles are larger they will sort of block the filter. This will result in a sucking action. Over time the oil will get sucked into the intake.

That's why the manual says not to over oil the filter. The filter should be like moist with oil not drenched.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote