Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2007, 21:11   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,083
Thanked: 252 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
I dont see "tubeless" there!
Thank You.
_________
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2007, 21:12   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,083
Thanked: 252 Times
Default

And anyway, Cougar has escaped!!!
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2007, 13:20   #18
BHPian
 
gotzuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Delhi / Shimla
Posts: 489
Thanked: 66 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Folks,

Just heard that there was a Gypsy in this year's Raid-de-Himalayas that had a coil suspension job done. It was one of those white, radically modified ones..

However I hear that it broke an axle and was not able to proceed..

Maybe we can get info from someone who was part of raid-de-him this year.

Anyone there..???
that would be lakhpa tsering in a white gypsy bearing
competion number 14..

but im not too sure if he had a coil spring job on his gypsy..

Last edited by gotzuk : 15th October 2007 at 13:28.
gotzuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2007, 13:49   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 454 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1 View Post
Mcphersons?? In a Gypsy? That too rear? Holy cow. The chassis would have to be cut & welded in paces that would flex the living daylights out of the retro'd suspension.

Not worth it. Coil springs, yes possible, but again, not worth it. Reduces the ruggedness of the chassis. You have to calculate the bracket angles, change the knuckles, fabricate the mounting plates, etc. Costs could vary anywhere between 35-50K for a proper job. For all four ends.

Get softer rated leafs, if ride quality is the issue. Else, plonk in a couple of sand bags at the rear. Helps a lot, & cheap, too.
Veyron1, its worth the money if you could find somebody to do the job..The handling would improve dramatically .. But wonder how the offroad performance would be..

I've got my gypsy king running on 235/75 R15 Michelin LT-X..tubeless .. The ride has improved dramatically.

Also, I've removed the Orignal Hardtop to make it look sportier..It also handles much much better now as there is decreased lateral wind resistance..

But the Jump in a gypsy is something...to jump about
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2007, 13:57   #20
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,083
Thanked: 252 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
I've got my gypsy king running on 235/75 R15 Michelin LT-X..tubeless ..
With that size of rubber can you still turn your wheel to full port and starboard without touching the bodywork?
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2007, 14:00   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 454 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
With that size of rubber can you still turn your wheel to full port and starboard without touching the bodywork?
Yeah..I can..Though at full lock..it does touch by an mm..so i dont manage to do the full lock!!


We did cut a little bit of the front bumper..to accomodate the tyre during turns and in action!!
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2007, 15:47   #22
BHPian
 
gotzuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Delhi / Shimla
Posts: 489
Thanked: 66 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
I've got my gypsy king running on 235/75 R15 Michelin LT-X..tubeless .. The ride has improved dramatically.
headers,
though tyre choice is an entirely personal issue, be advised that
fitting oversize tyres can, and frequently lead to other problems,
including poor handling, reduced lateral and logitudinal stability,
shortened component lives and inferior performance..

it is not recommended that tyres bigger than 215/70-15 be fitted
on the suzuki gypsys.. i run a 05' mpfi gypsy with 215 BFG's and believe
me that my friends mpfi gypsy with 205 Bridgestone Dueler A/T has the
edge when flying through the himalayan countryside on broken tarmac..

oversized tyres apart from added to the chunky looks of the gypsy, do little else in augmenting the driving experience.. and im amazed at the
number of people trying to sqeeze in the biggest possible tyre under the
wheel arches of the little gypsy, some as ridiculously big as 275's..

i guess bigger is not always better..
just my two cents..
cheers...
gotzuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2007, 16:40   #23
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,083
Thanked: 252 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotzuk View Post
it is not recommended that tyres bigger than 215/70-15 be fitted on the suzuki gypsys....
I agree with that, as my own experience was that even the 215/70R15 were touching the inside of the wheelarch at full lock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Yeah..I can..Though at full lock..it does touch by an mm..so i dont manage to do the full lock!!
We did cut a little bit of the front bumper..to accomodate the tyre during turns and in action!!
!!!
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2007, 18:51   #24
Senior - BHPian
 
nitrous's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: UAE/Lon/Madras
Posts: 6,966
Thanked: 282 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotzuk
i run a 05' mpfi gypsy with 215 BFG's
That is one of the softest tyres I've come across.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotzuk
some as ridiculously big as 275's..
I've seen a Gypsy 1000 with these tyres. It still got stuck in the dry river bed.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2007, 22:09   #25
BHPian
 
gotzuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Delhi / Shimla
Posts: 489
Thanked: 66 Times
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
I've seen a Gypsy 1000 with these tyres. It still got stuck in the dry river bed.
hehehe.. priceless...
i guess, a couple of real horses in the front would really help improve the
offroadabilty of the viagraously tyred steel horse...
cheers..
gotzuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2007, 16:47   #26
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 454 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
I agree with that, as my own experience was that even the 215/70R15 were touching the inside of the wheelarch at full lock.

!!!
Your suspension needs to be re-cambered..

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotzuk View Post
headers,
though tyre choice is an entirely personal issue, be advised that
fitting oversize tyres can, and frequently lead to other problems,
including poor handling, reduced lateral and logitudinal stability,
shortened component lives and inferior performance..

it is not recommended that tyres bigger than 215/70-15 be fitted
on the suzuki gypsys.. i run a 05' mpfi gypsy with 215 BFG's and believe
me that my friends mpfi gypsy with 205 Bridgestone Dueler A/T has the
edge when flying through the himalayan countryside on broken tarmac..

oversized tyres apart from added to the chunky looks of the gypsy, do little else in augmenting the driving experience.. and im amazed at the
number of people trying to sqeeze in the biggest possible tyre under the
wheel arches of the little gypsy, some as ridiculously big as 275's..

just my two cents..
cheers...
Hi gotzuk,
I agree with your view that fitting oversized tyres will lead to all kinds of unwanted trouble..if done without taking into consideration the suspension setup..

But i do believe that a 215 would / will definitely be better than a 205..in conering and comfort..but the steering effort will be a tad tighter in the 215..235..etc.. But this can also be corected by having proper toe-in settings..

I did have my wheels touching as stock and have modified my suspension - recambered to have more lift.. so that there is no wheel touching the wheel hub even when loaded upto 1.5 tons on the vehicle..

My purpose of having the gypsy is for offroad use where a good tyre is essential for the vehicle to conquer the terrain.. hence the 235s.. Originally was running 215/75 R15 Pirelli scorpions..without much hassle..

Also, the lateral stability of my vehicle increased dramatically when the hardtop is removed..this can be easily felt while overtaking vehicles on the highway at say 100 or 110 kmph.. The old [hardtop] vehicle would actually do a dance which is missing without the top..

Also, at extreme angles, the hardtop being top heavy by 80 kgs or so tends to increase the body lean angles leading to topple..
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2007, 16:49   #27
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 454 Times
Default

ANd i dont think there were any gypsys in this years raid,,which had coil spring suspension..Pls highlight competetion number and maybe can check out..
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2007, 23:18   #28
BHPian
 
gotzuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Delhi / Shimla
Posts: 489
Thanked: 66 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
ANd i dont think there were any gypsys in this years raid,,which had coil spring suspension..Pls highlight competetion number and maybe can check out..
there was only one radically modified white gypsy, as mentioned by khan_sultan, and it was entered by Lakhpa Tsering from Arunachal Pradesh. if i'm not wrong his competetion number was 14 but as i said earlier i'm not sure if he was running a coil spring setup.
btw.. were you there for the raid this year??
gotzuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2007, 09:39   #29
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 454 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotzuk View Post
there was only one radically modified white gypsy, as mentioned by khan_sultan, and it was entered by Lakhpa Tsering from Arunachal Pradesh. if i'm not wrong his competetion number was 14 but as i said earlier i'm not sure if he was running a coil spring setup.
btw.. were you there for the raid this year??
NO i wasnt but a friend of mine participated..!
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2007, 16:26   #30
BHPian
 
BunnyPunia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 800
Thanked: 187 Times
Default

sorry to barge in, but i just put up a topic somewhere (3.5 lacs, gypsy/bolero/safari)..
my dad owned the first version 1.0 for 4yrs, sold it at 98000km. and it took 8 of us to shimla during the record dec 1989 snow. im so much inclined towards the gypsy.
neways, im ready to 'bear' the harsh ride. but with 235 tyres, tubeless, running slightly less air pressure, how good does the ride become? bearable ? (please say yes!!)
our 1.0 used to return around 9kmpl, how much does the 1.3 L MPFI return?
Our 1.0 used to do around 110max, how much does the 1.3L MPFI do?
BunnyPunia is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OME Leaf Springs for the Gypsy satan 4x4 Technical 16 2nd June 2011 10:00
Torsion bar or leaf/coil springs. Which is better ? taurian2804 Technical Stuff 4 9th November 2009 11:07
Internal Springs in Seat Upholstery mithun Modifications & Accessories 4 17th June 2006 06:59
Helical Springs for Petra DRC Modifications & Accessories 0 26th December 2005 12:07
AIR springs ????? khaadu75 Modifications & Accessories 5 24th August 2004 17:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:30.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks