Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 29th August 2007, 14:12   #46
BHPian

I believe with the current traffic situation in India each and every car needs a power steering. Getting stuck in Traffic jams and to manoeuver in it is painstaking..so to ease the driver all cars should have power steering. Why save 15K when that pain would cause more money to spend and when u can afford a car for 3.5 lacs why cant u spend additional 20K for power steering u are not buying a motorbike that u should think within this money i will buy another bike
RishiSuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2007, 14:21   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
8 years, 77000 KMS without a power steering on a WagonR.

My experience. You wont miss it if you dont have it, but dont miss it if you are about to have it.
that was neat devarshi.
a thread, an arguement and a bump later and this thing still goes on?

the arguement in this thread is more like "someone invented electricity and now let us decide if we need it or not".

it is a nice feature to have, and it is a pity that the indian car manufacturers use trivial points like this to segregate their variants. sometimes as trivial as power windows for the front only!! - Why?,... The ones at the back can have a good time playing with the manual roller??!!!

so all those who are indecisive about a power steering, please go ahead and have a car with it. it does help.

it will be more useful than the few grands that you will save out of this and atlast put it in creating "din-chak" and polluting music.

Last edited by gbpscars : 29th August 2007 at 14:23.
gbpscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2007, 14:36   #48
Senior - BHPian

Parking in a crowded city without a power steering is a serious pain

and like someone pointed out earlier PS is a neccesity now a days

and i'm sure people surely regret their decision if they buy non PS cars in today's world.
simply_sunny001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2007, 15:17   #49
Team-BHP Support

If you plan on using your primarily in city, there is no doubt about it... PS is a MUST. Parking the car, trying to squeeze out of a tight spot, all these would require quite some effort sans the PS. Also, at just Rs.20,000/- more its not too high.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2008, 20:50   #50
BHPian

Default Power steering to WagonR

Hi Guys

Can anybody advise on adding power steering to a WagonR. Just came across a link
hxxp://sawaal.ibibo.com/bangalore/how-much-power-steering-fitting-cost-santro-xing-xk-my-santro-xing-xk-doesnt-power-steering-now-377556.html
Says its 9K for doing it on santro. I did search the forum, but got old data only, around 25K.
I understand there are two types of systems, electronic and hydrolic, Please advise where can I get it done and how much it would cost!
english is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2008, 11:35   #51
Senior - BHPian

Current models of WagonR come with EPS. Best is to get the retrofitting done from the Maruti ASC. But, IMO, PS in a small car like WagonR is unnecesary. PS best suits bigger and heavier vehicles..

EPS is better than hydraulic since involves less maintainance. EPS also cuts off after a certain speed while hydraulic is a continuous PS. Not good for small cars at higher speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by english View Post
Hi Guys

Can anybody advise on adding power steering to a WagonR. Just came across a link
hxxp://sawaal.ibibo.com/bangalore/how-much-power-steering-fitting-cost-santro-xing-xk-my-santro-xing-xk-doesnt-power-steering-now-377556.html
Says its 9K for doing it on santro. I did search the forum, but got old data only, around 25K.
I understand there are two types of systems, electronic and hydrolic, Please advise where can I get it done and how much it would cost!
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2008, 11:39   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But, IMO, PS in a small car like WagonR is unnecesary. PS best suits bigger and heavier vehicles..
I have heard this many times before & I completely Disagree
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2008, 11:43   #53
Senior - BHPian

Everyboy to his/her own opinion. I very specifically said "IMO". And it did not mean imposing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
I have heard this many times before & I completely Disagree
Old 24th May 2008, 13:48   #54
Senior - BHPian

Your opinion now could put you in a spot later, if you go for the non-PS WagonR. Take my brother's example. Inspired by my 2001 make WagonR Lxi, he too decided to go in for one in 2003. Since his earlier car was a Fiat 1100, he did not feel much strain while TD'ng the non-PS version.
He also thought he saved around 25 K. But he regrets it very much now. He is 50 years old and has severe back pain in the area between the shoulders. He has left driving and is travelling to work on his colleagues' cars for the past 2 months.
He has started using the Waggie last week and had a good highway trip. But he confessed that in city driving (Calcutta), the pain comes back, especially while parking.
Please keep this in mind before forming your opinion.

Last edited by vnabhi : 24th May 2008 at 13:52.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2008, 14:35   #55
Senior - BHPian

People drove the amby behemoth, fiats, standards etc. for ages without PS and never suffered these symptoms or seldom reported.

My uncle, who is nearly 70 and still drives his '71 model Amby in Delhi doesn't complain of back/shoulder pain and once when he drove a friend's Ikon said that the steering was too light and did not give the feel of the road.

I myself am 50 and till about 2002 drove cars that did not have PS and have no problems.

And as I said earlier it is my opinion. And an opinion is not imposition. You may accept it or not and that again would be your opinion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Your opinion now could put you in a spot later, if you go for the non-PS WagonR. Take my brother's example. Inspired by my 2001 make WagonR Lxi, he too decided to go in for one in 2003. Since his earlier car was a Fiat 1100, he did not feel much strain while TD'ng the non-PS version.
He also thought he saved around 25 K. But he regrets it very much now. He is 50 years old and has severe back pain in the area between the shoulders. He has left driving and is travelling to work on his colleagues' cars for the past 2 months.
He has started using the Waggie last week and had a good highway trip. But he confessed that in city driving (Calcutta), the pain comes back, especially while parking.
Please keep this in mind before forming your opinion.
Old 24th May 2008, 18:10   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by english View Post
Hi Guys

I would suggest getting in touch with a M.A.S.S for this. Better since they will supply the necessary support and parts whenever required.
EPS is a better option. I guess Maruti cars come with EPS. SO an HPS option will not be available even if you need so. Search on an earlier thread on EPS/HPS.
hrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2008, 21:27   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
People drove the amby behemoth, fiats, standards etc. for ages without PS and never suffered these symptoms or seldom reported.

My uncle, who is nearly 70 and still drives his '71 model Amby in Delhi doesn't complain of back/shoulder pain and once when he drove a friend's Ikon said that the steering was too light and did not give the feel of the road.

I myself am 50 and till about 2002 drove cars that did not have PS and have no problems.

And as I said earlier it is my opinion. And an opinion is not imposition. You may accept it or not and that again would be your opinion...
Well, maybe my brother was plain unlucky ! Or perhaps he was not built as tough as you or your uncle (just kidding) . I still feel it is worth the salt to go for a Power Steering.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2008, 14:57   #58
BHPian

I was never a Power Steering "fan".
I like the manual steering better.

It is boom in crowded city streets and while parking.
But then again if you know you puppy (car) well its not a problem.

Its like having a dog on leash (power steering) its like the dog is not well behaved or the master is not too sure about the dog.

But a well behaved dog and a master who can handle the dog does't need a leash.

Anyway for the record I now drive my brothers Wagon R Lxi (he he with PS)
But I love my Zen (non PS)
And I'm waiting for the new puppy (Swift VDi again PS)

Electronic PS which cuts off once you reach 40 or 60 km/hr is the best of both worlds I think. EPS is now standard across maruti models with PS I believe.

I hear my buddy at office complaining about Alto w/o PS " the steering effort is too much", he has an esteem with PS, 220 pounds and arms the size or Arnold, but you'l never hear me complaining even thought I'm a 100 pound skinny guy.

Its a matter or choice. If you like PS go for it...
yzfrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2008, 15:57   #59
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
Anyway for the record I now drive my brothers Wagon R Lxi (he he with PS)
But I love my Zen (non PS)

Electronic PS which cuts off once you reach 40 or 60 km/hr is the best of both worlds I think. EPS is now standard across maruti models with PS I believe.
Zen without PS is not a problem. Wagon R is. Even Alto requires noticeably more manual effort than zen.

EPS does not cut off!... if gradually reduces the power....but its is always active.

Most power steerings give complete feedback to the driver... its just that a driver used to non-PS car can't feel anything in short term and complains of a dead steering.
SLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2008, 19:06   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Zen without PS is not a problem. Wagon R is. Even Alto requires noticeably more manual effort than zen.

Most power steerings give complete feedback to the driver... its just that a driver used to non-PS car can't feel anything in short term and complains of a dead steering.
Err... my Zen runs on 165/65/13 rubber, so the steering its pretty hard.

Feedback... yes, you are correct to some extend I'd say in my opinion.
Swift with EPS does have good feedback.
But Wagon R, it has a steering which is lifeless.

Feedback Vs Easy to Drive

My vote is for feedback anyday.
Couple of years back when I broke my hand, I drove the non-PS Zen than the Indica with PS. Ppl say its crazy...

But I just Love to drive...!!
(For the record - I broke my hand saving a stupid cyclist who cut me off coming off a side into the main road right in front of me with my RX doing around 30km/hr and it was raining. I did't hit him, I fell off under braking landing on my right hand)
yzfrj is offline   Reply With Quote