Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 23rd February 2017, 12:02   #31

Default Re: Wagon R Gear box problems

Hello Leoshahi,

I just checked the breather hose pipe, it does not have a plug on top. The breather hole on that pipe must be around 1 mm diameter. What does the plug look like, its not very clear in the photograph? Also I could not find the inlet to the gear box where oil is to be filled, is it far below ?

The clutch play at the pedal is about 20 mm as stated in the manual so I feel the setting is fine.
Bokky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2017, 13:05   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokky View Post
It has been changed on 1st February 2017.
Did the gear shifting become progressively hard or did it happen suddenly. Because I had a somewhat related issue on a WagonR , where the gear shifting had suddenly become hard. After taking the car on a ramp, it was discovered that there was some damage to a linkage just below the gear-box and some internal shafts, possibly due to a hit from big stone/boulder. So, the car was working perfectly fine, but only the gear-shifting was hard. This was fixed at a MASS in Pune and you might want to look at this angle?
AutoSphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2017, 13:42   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post

I also doubt the Rs.9,500 estimate. I asked my SA, and he said if both clutch and pressure plate is bad, then clutch overhaul costs 3k.

Part number of Cutch set for Wagon R(Different part nos because of different vendor)

22011M67K00-CLUTCH SET(WAGON R)==Rs.2170
22011M67K40-CLUTCH SET(WAGON-R)==Rs.1800

Labour charge at my MASS is Rs.850

Even after changing the bearing which carries part no 23265M79F40 and costs Rs. 580, the total amount will never cross Rs.4000 in any case.

Regards,
Shashi
I paid Rs 7000 for my 2001 WagonR's clutch overhaul last year. The cost included the flywheel and labor charges of around 2300 INR. It looks like labor charges in your center are quite cheaper than in Hyderabad!

Details are in my LTO thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3908909
vnabhi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2017, 15:11   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoSphere View Post
Did the gear shifting become progressively hard or did it happen suddenly.
It happened suddenly, that too after returning from the MASS on changing the gear oil, Engine oil and 2 Ignition coils located above the spark plugs.

I too am getting the feeling that there is something wrong in the links below the gear box, as if there is a clutch issue that pickup and acceleration would have gone for a toss too.
Bokky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2017, 15:13   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Leoshahi,

I just checked the breather hose pipe, it does not have a plug on top. The breather hole on that pipe must be around 1 mm diameter. What does the plug look like, its not very clear in the photograph?
Sorry for the bad picture, posting a clear image again. The 1mm dia hole which you mention is the hole for breather.

Wagon R Gear box problems-20170124_202326.jpg

Quote:
Also I could not find the inlet to the gear box where oil is to be filled, is it far below ?
Yes the inlet and inspection hole in almost all 5 speed Maruti gearboxes are from the side(near driveshaft). What most MASS do is that they remove the 4 bolts below the breather hose, and pour gear oil from that hole. But if its done this way, one must not forget to apply gasket maker before tightening the 4 bolts back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I paid Rs 7000 for my 2001 WagonR's clutch overhaul last year. The cost included the flywheel and labor charges of around 2300 INR. It looks like labor charges in your center are quite cheaper than in Hyderabad!
Yes, if the flywheel is changed, it'll add another Rs.1280 to the estimate.

Regarding the labor charge, its indeed a huge difference. Do you visit dealer owned workshop by any chance?? Because even in my city, the dealer owned workshop charges approx 2000+taxes for clutch overhaul. I rarely visit them because not only is their labor cost high, but they also loot the customers in different ways. I find the normal MASS almost 70% cheaper than these flamboyant but useless dealer owned workshops!!

Regards,
Shashi

Quote:
It happened suddenly, that too after returning from the MASS on changing the gear oil, Engine oil and 2 Ignition coils located above the spark plugs.

I too am getting the feeling that there is something wrong in the links below the gear box, as if there is a clutch issue that pickup and acceleration would have gone for a toss too.
Sir, its 100% something related to linkages since it has happened suddenly. Kindly check my post on the last page, I have mentioned what all needs to be done. Also kindly ask them to check the clutch cable for free movement(sometimes wire doesn't move freely inside sheath).

Last edited by navin : 23rd February 2017 at 16:21.
Leoshashi is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2017, 16:45   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post

Yes, if the flywheel is changed, it'll add another Rs.1280 to the estimate.

Regarding the labor charge, its indeed a huge difference. Do you visit dealer owned workshop by any chance?? Because even in my city, the dealer owned workshop charges approx 2000+taxes for clutch overhaul. I rarely visit them because not only is their labor cost high, but they also loot the customers in different ways. I find the normal MASS almost 70% cheaper than these flamboyant but useless dealer owned workshops!!

Regards,
Shashi
Yup, it is a dealer-owned MASS Center named RK Saboo Motors. It is only a km from my residence, so I get all things done by them. I have the privilege of walking home after dropping the car with them!

I am not aware of any non-dealer owned MASS Center in Hyderabad. There is another dealer-owned workshop around 4 kms away named Varun Motors.

While on this topic, it is advisable to change the flywheel also when doing a clutch overhaul. It will avoid steep labour charges later if you choose to do it later.

Last edited by vnabhi : 23rd February 2017 at 16:48.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2017, 16:55   #37

Thanks Shashi, I will purchase a breather plug myself and fit it.

About dealer owned workshops, almost all MASS are dealer owned workshops in Bombay. I would love to locate a non dealer owned MASS anywhere in Bombay since as you rightly stated they are always on the lookout to fleece. The modus operandi is they feed the number of the vehicle in their online system and check what has been replaced and when. They will then "suggest" (literally coerce) that this part XYZ has not been changed since the last so many months / years so better to change. every time we go with a problem, the bill is inflated in this manner, which is why I mostly get it done through private garages than go to a dealer. Irrespective of the condition of the parts like spark plugs, brake fluid, brake pads, oil etc are changed without inspection.
Bokky is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2017, 18:32   #38
Senior - BHPian

I guess this whole post of mine is off-topic, but if it helps anyone, I'd be glad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post

I am not aware of any non-dealer owned MASS Center in Hyderabad. There is another dealer-owned workshop around 4 kms away named Varun Motors.
Its better to stay away from Varun motors. Only two days ago, a BHPian reported bad things about them. Link to Varun Motor's latest experience (Maruti Suzuki A.S.S. Review by owners)

Quote:

I would love to locate a non dealer owned MASS anywhere in Bombay since as you rightly stated they are always on the lookout to fleece.
You can locate a non dealer owned workshop from MSIL's homepage.
Wagon R Gear box problems-untitled.jpg

BHPian ptaneja also echoes the same sentiments when it comes to dealer owned workshops. More details can be found here-Click to open

Just to give you an example, here is the difference between the same job, one done by MASS, and other by dealer owned workshop(both are maruti authorised).

Case 1- Axle boot cut on my friend's M800. Normal MASS jacks up the car, replaces boot, all done within half an hour. Total bill-90 rupees boot plus 150 labour.
Wagon R Gear box problems-20151024_112758.jpg

Case 2-Axle boot cut in my 800. Unfortunately, my MASS was closed that day, so I had to visit dealer owned workshop. Initially they said that boots aren't available separately, and that It'd cost me an entire driveshaft. I had the parts manual in my glove box and the SA ran for cover. Another senior SA came and handled my case. They put the car on lift, follow all the procedures to the T, and the end result is the same. But it took me 2 hours as the mechanic was clueless and he had to call the senior mechanic, and the bill was 90 rupees for boot, plus 550 rupees labor.
Wagon R Gear box problems-20160112_164731.jpg
Look at their body language-appears as if they are planning to launch a spaceship. So much brain storming for such a normal job??

In second case, I was offered an AC lounge, WiFi etc. But seriously, I am more interested in the quality of work done.

I am not saying that all dealer workshops are bad. But I am yet to meet an honest dealer owned workshop. They do have cleanliness, and work in an orderly manner which is appreciable. But from atleast what I have experienced, the quality of work at a normal MASS is much better and much cheaper. I don't mind if the mechanic is shabbily dressed, all I am concerned about is that my car should work fine. Period.

A typical dealer owned workshop(pic courtesy-Google)
Name:  w10.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  213.1 KB

My normal MASS-no order, and chaotic.
Wagon R Gear box problems-20131207_140239.jpg

Complaints I have from my dealer owned workshop-M/s Premsons Motor
-Too much expensive and greedy. They charge for each and every service offered. Their paid service just covers washing charge and I guess oil change labour. If you ask them to do anything like gear oil change etc, you'll be charged extra. Not so at normal MASS. The labour charge at Premsons is also double of what I am charged at normal MASS.
-They have caused secondary damage whenever anything has been serviced. For example when I asked them to replace rims on my car, they ended up damaging my tires. This indicates poor workmanship.
-I have faced two instances when I was charged for oil change but the oil wasn't actually changed.
-Deliberately messing up clutch settings is a common thing there. So that the clutch fries within 100 kms and you again come there for an expensive overhaul.

I can list hundreds of such instances, and I am so hell bent not to visit them, that if I get a NEXA car, I am ready to lose my warranty, rather than getting it touched by them in the name of service.(JFYI, NEXA cars cannot be serviced by normal MASS).

Sorry for such a long post.

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 23rd February 2017 at 18:39.
Leoshashi is online now   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote