Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 11th January 2007, 13:08   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default shocked with OHC 1.5 MILEAGE !!

guys
this is an SOS

i have a OHC 1.5 , 2001 model. only mod on car is K& N stock replacement filter and 195/55/15 yokohaha avs es100

ive checked mileage earlier too around 6 months back and i was getting around 10kmpl in city ( with around 30-40% ac usage ) and around 14.5kmpl on pure high way driving ( with around 70-80% ac usage )

i thought of checking mileage recently and got the shock of my life

i did a "tank top up" to tank top up check on a 300km pure city driving again with about 30-40% ac usage and the tank gulped 37.99 LITS today when i refilled resulting in a PAthetic MILEAGE OF 7.89 kmpl !!!

3 things that have been different on this run are

1) slight leakage in exhaust - car has run 58000 kms and ive already had a couple of exhaust leaks that have been fixed at sundaram honda
2) this time the tank was "actually " not topped up but it was filled till the "auto stop" function activates at the petrol pump
3) ive not done my 55000 service- last service was at 50000 since i felt 5k service interval really is not required

pls help whether im missing out on something ( is the auto stop function not accurate ? or is it the leaking exhaust ?? )
narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 13:24   #2
BHPian

Did you fill up from the same pump with the same grade of petrol? If not, might there be issues with quality of petrol sold by this pump?
ajitkommini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 13:24   #3
Senior - BHPian

narayan

5k is the interval Honda has suggested for a routine service. I say you should stick to that inspite of what you feel. I guess you should do that pronto. Japanese engines are bullet proof but then you should should take care to to keep the engine running healthy

I'm not sure if exhaust leak might be a problem but its best to get it checked.

Another reason could be bad fuel. bad fuel goes a long way in decreasing your car mileage. Is the pump you fill up your regular one?

Hope this helps
Dippy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 13:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

Yes, changing pumps often can be bad for the car. importantly, when you are doing a mileage check, fill from the same bunk & fill it to a level that you can recognise & fill again without leaving it to auto stop.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 13:36   #5
Senior - BHPian

guys
pump is pretty reilable. for chennai members - this is the IOC pump at TTK ROAD- ELDAMS ROAD junction at the turning to eldams road from TTK road
i have been filling here for last 5 months of so. im anyway doing another chek on mileage

since its run 58k , i thought of waiting for another 2k for the 60k service..

the auto stop is my main worry ( whether it reilably stops at THE SAME POINT ALWAYS ? ) - does anyone know the principle on which this works ?

does it always activate once tank reaches a particular volume ?
Old 11th January 2007, 13:48   #6
Senior - BHPian

Time for service... insist on getting injectors cleaned...

i also suggest you use System G from Iftex which is available in BP outlets.... It does help in a smoother ride and knocking reduces to a large extent...

Sonax is also a good brand...

P.S. Muffler leaking? get an aftermarket one
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 14:21   #7
Senior - BHPian

[quote=n_aditya;353065]Time for service... insist on getting injectors cleaned...

guess what - 3 months back when i checked up for a loose connection in my O2 sensor cable, after fixing it, they also charged me Rs1000 SAYING THAT in the process, they found injectors were dirty and hence they cleaned it!! wondering what was it that they cleaned in the first place!!
Old 11th January 2007, 14:34   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
i did a "tank top up" to tank top up check on a 300km pure city driving again with about 30-40% ac usage and the tank gulped 37.99 LITS today when i refilled resulting in a PAthetic MILEAGE OF 7.89 kmpl !!!
I dont think a 2 km drop is big issue which maybe happening due to the following:-
  • you changed your rubber to bigger ones ( have u been getting 10kmpl even after changing them before?)
  • Possibly a problem with the petrol pump, he could have taken you for a ride...that makes it even more important that we keep our eyes glued to the meter till the fill is complete
  • i dont know if exhuast leaking will effect average in any way?
However, just check first by changing the pump and secondly the rubber. hopefully it should be a minor problem. do report back your next tankful mileage

goodluck!
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 15:40   #9
Senior - BHPian

Get her serviced properly since 60k is a major service & get the exhaust leaks fixed. After that go to a reputed pump fill her up not to the auto stop but to the brim, drive her around & then check the FE. Auto-Stop's are not always a reliable indicator since they can at times stop without the tank being full.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 16:45   #10
Senior - BHPian

ya , i have checked mileage after tyre change - did nt see any drop earlier, infact i got the 14.5 kmpl avg after tyres were changed..

iraghava - will be getting service done shortly...but tell me somethin - i have alredy done 3 welds so far on exhaust starting from 50k service..and as u know sundaram rippers charge around 500 bucks per weld...so am wondering whether i should continue welding or go for new exhaust..

if its a new exhaust - is it better to go for stock or is it worth considering a free flow ? ( any good places in chennai ? )

i think this thread is moving from low mileage to free flow exhausts !!! ( conflicting interests i guess !!)

Last edited by narayan : 11th January 2007 at 16:47.
Old 11th January 2007, 16:49   #11
Senior - BHPian

Welds are useless in fixing exhaust leaks as they again start leaking after a short period of time. Only solution is to replace the exhaust and since they've already charged you 1500 bucks there's no point in wasting further money.

Ask for the price of a new exhaust system which I reckon is around 20-25k from Honda! A cheaper option would be to get a performance exhaust system fitted (can be a silent one, if you don't like the roar) and get this sorted out.
Old 11th January 2007, 16:53   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy
I'm not sure if exhaust leak might be a problem but its best to get it checked.
AFAIK, exhaust leak does have a negative impact on FE.

Auto-cutoff is not 100% reliable. However, if both gas fills are done at the same pump, same nozzle, you get a reasonably correct FE.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2007, 10:06   #13
BHPian

ishan, Thanks for the info. Actually my OHC underwent a weld on a exhaust leak a year back.. so after taking your suggestion i would now go in for a new one.

Guys please suggest a good exhaust (not from honda) or dealer in bangalore... and I dont want to lose the FE..

thanks
four_tire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2007, 10:25   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

IS that a real bad mileage for the OHC???
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2007, 14:51   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
IS that a real bad mileage for the OHC???
Considering mine has never dipped below 10kmpl, yes it is a not so good figure.