Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 14th January 2007, 19:14   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default What to do when Power window fails?

• Is there any way to operate the power windows if its fails under any circumstances?
  • Is it possible to retain the manual operation lever when we convert from a non-power to power windows?
My aunt had this suitation when her Sierra's windows would not roll up. I propose to convert my windows to power using the Autocop kit.
  • How reliable are these kits?
  • What remedial action do I take incase of any fault apart from calling for a mechanic's help?
mail4ajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 19:24   #2
Team-BHP Support

A member - Freakrz, had the Autocop power windows kit on his Swift Lxi abt a yr back. The installation seemed to be a professional looking one with decent quality plastics. Freakrz is currently in the US - you could PM him.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 20:05   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi...

You have an alto, right???

I have read in one of the thread that speedzak has got the autocop power window kits in his alto... You could contact him...

About the auto-cop system, i guess its integrated with the security system too... Cost should be around 10k+ for 4 doors...

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 14th January 2007 at 20:09.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 21:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

i had that on my indica for around 11k...worked without any problems for a year..after that kaaput!!!!!
Its a good thing though..you get out of the car with all windows down..lock the car and all windows go up 1 by 1...but after a yr if you do that ..then you would have to walk around the car to see if all the windows have gone up.
danlalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 22:48   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
[list]]My aunt had this suitation when her Sierra's windows would not roll up. I propose to convert my windows to power using the Autocop kit.
Chances were that the switch contacts went. I used to keep a screwdriver handy, lever switch out of console, and short the connections to get it to work and clean the switch out
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2007, 07:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

Also keep a hammer handy. I don't want to sound morbid, but in an emergency, will you have the time to do all that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Chances were that the switch contacts went. I used to keep a screwdriver handy, lever switch out of console, and short the connections to get it to work and clean the switch out
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2007, 08:11   #7
Senior - BHPian

i had a 118 NE which i converted to power windows sometime back. the installer left the spot open & gave me a handle to do it manually when the power windows failed, but the 118 had a different system for the windows. i dont know about maruti.
i would suggest you retain your present set up.
these power windows are tricky, especially the after market ones.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2007, 12:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

I learned that Maruti has a MGA kit on offer for Alto. Its about 6K. Will opt for that. Is coverting the rear windows not possible? How come MGA doesn't have a rear window kit?

Thanks to everyone who responsed and to those who will respond. Zak, I await your feedback as well.
mail4ajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2007, 22:46   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
  • Is it possible to retain the manual operation lever when we convert from a non-power to power windows?
Its like having the cake and eating it too. I am afraid it is not possible for you to retain the manual lever while going in for power windows. I too had the same query and got it clarified from Maruti. Also, one more disadvantage in having power windows is that they fail to function if your car battery is very weak or dead. No pains No gains !!
rr_zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2007, 00:49   #10
Team-BHP Support

In my opinion you are better off without those power window kits. After market fitments always keep getting snagged. This is something that a prominent kits dealer once told me. He had the kit with him and yet he said that he suggests people not to opt for them...

In any case, I think rolling your windows up or down is not such a big task that one has to bother about these kits.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2007, 03:03   #11
BANNED

MGA kit doesn't offer kits for the rear windows in cars like Alto, WagonR etc... (discrimination!!)
Your options are Autocop and some other not much known brands. Better bet is to go for AUtocop.
I had Autocop installed in my Qualis some 5 years ago.Still works fine. There were some hiccups in between, but was solved.

My alto has front kit. Not the 4 window version. Works fine to date. Survived a crash too. It closes the windows by itself when the doors are locked using the remote. Cost?? +/-6k!!
4 windows kit costs around 11k+.
Both comes with Auto wind up option. Get it.
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2007, 07:40   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Is coverting the rear windows not possible? How come MGA doesn't have a rear window kit?
I think there is a technical feasibility issue in converting the rear windows to power. Because of the door and window design, the glasses won't fully go down even in manual mode. I think that none of the high end variants (I am sure that VX 1.1 was not having it as i had it before and VXi am not sure) had power window for the rear.
goldsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2007, 09:07   #13
BHPian

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
Its a good thing though..you get out of the car with all windows down..lock the car and all windows go up 1 by 1...
This sounds great...
but how come factory fitted Esteem Lxi doesnot have this feature on its front two power windows...

if you have any of the windows open and you already turned the ignition and battery off, you have to switch on the battery again in order to close the power windows...

I thought that feature used to come in only high end models and luxury sedans.
Mendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2007, 12:25   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Also keep a hammer handy. I don't want to sound morbid, but in an emergency, will you have the time to do all that?
In case of an horrific experience (God Forbid) and you do not have hammer on you, Use your elbow in the centre of the door glass, any other point but the centre its unseemingly impossible with a human body part.

However the tampered glass due to its curvature is the weakest in the centre so you might be able to break free without much harm to your elbow.

Cheers
Speedme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2007, 13:31   #15
BHPian

Default Xenos

I would like to suggest that you take a look at Xenos products too. A few months back I was in the market for the same and went for Xenos basically because it came with a lifetime warranty option which I found necessary especially when going in for after market fitments.
suren181 is offline   Reply With Quote