Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 19th January 2007, 15:10   #1

Default Higher Oxygen %age in the exhaust gas

Hi! Techies, I own a 1997 carb zen.The mixture screw is turned for lean.Yesterday i went for pollution check,the guy there told me that my exhaust is showing higher O2 %age (2.93). He told that it should be near zero and he also told that it will damage my engine in long run.

Kindly give some expert comments.

P.S. My car is giving an average of 16kmpl in city and 21kmpl on highway.
buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2007, 20:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

And they are ever trying to reduce the emission to reduce pollution..!! Strange.., I thought CO2 or CO caused pollution. But Oxygen causing trouble is something unheard off.

Govt. must ask and encourage Maruti/Suzuki to revive the '97 carb Zen so that more O2 is pumped in the atmosphere resulting in cleaner air. What is a little harm to the engine. It is for national/global betterment..

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy View Post
Hi! Techies, I own a 1997 carb zen.The mixture screw is turned for lean.Yesterday i went for pollution check,the guy there told me that my exhaust is showing higher O2 %age (2.93). He told that it should be near zero and he also told that it will damage my engine in long run.

gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2007, 21:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

What he actually meant to say ws that you are running extremely lean and it might cause your engine to knock / sieze. Better get it retuned.
Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2007, 22:55   #4
BHPian

Quote:

Although it seems illogical, it is true that pollution check guys will not issue a certificate if oxygen content in exhaust gas is too high. High oxygen levels may indicate a leak in the exhaust system & it might be a good idea to get this checked out.
nura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2007, 03:59   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi! Techies, I own a 1997 carb zen.The mixture screw is turned for lean.Yesterday i went for pollution check,the guy there told me that my exhaust is showing higher O2 %age (2.93).
Well your leaning efforts are really working then. When there is not enough fuel to burn with the air, o2 comes out unburnt.
Keep an eye on the temp gauge. As long as you are not operating under high loads you should not overheat.
Of course, pumping out O2 is not bad for teh environment, but your Nox might be high also due to the leaning.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2007, 04:37   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nura View Post
High oxygen levels may indicate a leak in the exhaust system & it might be a good idea to get this checked out.
If there is a leak worth bothering about the exhaust note may change to indicate this..
If I saw more oxygen content I would say you are running lean and running to hot and have a more critical problem than a leaking exhaust.
Yours is a carb fuel delivery system so you wont have to worry about too many sensors etc, suggest you get your carb retuned to run slightly more richer to avoid running a lean AFR.
chetanhanda is offline   Reply With Quote