Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2012, 18:21   #406
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 81
Thanked: 52 Times
Default re: OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars

Does the Getz 1.3 have an OBD port ?, If yes could you let me know where it is and what connectors to get...
trumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2012, 18:31   #407
Senior - BHPian
 
sushrutha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chikmagalur/Ban
Posts: 1,701
Thanked: 317 Times
Default re: OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
As promised, here are some pictures of the V Checker installed in my Civic.
Dinu,
That looks cool. Does it Display KMPL ? coz I can see only LHK, LPH etc.
Can the speed(kmph) be caliberated/adjusted ?
And how accurate the device is ?
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2012, 20:00   #408
BHPian
 
dinu2506's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 761
Thanked: 274 Times
Default re: OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Dinu,
That looks cool. Does it Display KMPL ? coz I can see only LHK, LPH etc.
Can the speed(kmph) be caliberated/adjusted ?
And how accurate the device is ?
It displays Litres per 100km and Litres per hour on idle. Actually, its only a mindblock, you get used to Litres per 100km quite fast and you will no longer be bothered about kmpl. Speed cannot be calibrated but the algorithm for Fuel consumption can be calibrated after checking the actual fuel consumption using tank to tank method. The correction factor can be entered to take care of the difference. This is a one time job and going forward it displays the correct consumption. I have done this and now it displays quite an accurate figure.
Lot of other data is available like battery voltage, intake air temp, coolant temp, throttle position, Ox sensor data and many more.
Its also got the feature to display error codes and also erase them, though I have not used them since I did not have any error codes displayed.
The display can be adjusted to display 6 out of the available information. There is a display mode for idle and a display mode for running (where you see the speedometer).
Other utilities include maintenance reminders, alarms for overheating (which can be tailored), alarm for overspeeding and utilities for measuring 0-100 acceleration times, time taken for a particular distance (eg 0-400meters) etc.
I feel its a VFM at around $100.
You can see the details at their site
A301 ? - ?????
dinu2506 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2012, 10:14   #409
Senior - BHPian
 
sushrutha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chikmagalur/Ban
Posts: 1,701
Thanked: 317 Times
Default re: OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
It displays Litres per 100km and Litres per hour on idle. Actually, its only a mindblock, you get used to Litres per 100km quite fast and you will no longer be bothered about kmpl. Speed cannot be calibrated but the algorithm for Fuel consumption can be calibrated after checking the actual fuel consumption using tank to tank method. The correction factor can be entered to take care of the difference. This is a one time job and going forward it displays the correct consumption. I have done this and now it displays quite an accurate figure.
Lot of other data is available like battery voltage, intake air temp, coolant temp, throttle position, Ox sensor data and many more.
Its also got the feature to display error codes and also erase them, though I have not used them since I did not have any error codes displayed.
The display can be adjusted to display 6 out of the available information. There is a display mode for idle and a display mode for running (where you see the speedometer).
Other utilities include maintenance reminders, alarms for overheating (which can be tailored), alarm for overspeeding and utilities for measuring 0-100 acceleration times, time taken for a particular distance (eg 0-400meters) etc.
I feel its a VFM at around $100.
You can see the details at their site
A301 ? - ?????
So almost the same features as that of Scangauge II, but with added Performance monitors.
I feel it's worth when compared with SG II, coz of the graphical display + the price (sg II is almost $160).
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2012, 11:19   #410
BHPian
 
dynomite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 72
Thanked: 75 Times
Default re: OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
So almost the same features as that of Scangauge II, but with added Performance monitors.
I feel it's worth when compared with SG II, coz of the graphical display + the price (sg II is almost $160).
Yeah - somehow I never liked the ScanGauge because the display is so simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
As promised, here are some pictures of the V Checker installed in my Civic.
Dinu - thanks for the photos
Though I guess mounting it on that sliding cover also means you give up the space inside it right?

I see you have a JVC 2 DIN system with the steering remote control - looks neat. But what is that other smaller control pod/switch, in the space under the headlamp adjuster dial?
dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2012, 11:59   #411
BHPian
 
dinu2506's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 761
Thanked: 274 Times
Default re: OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynomite View Post
Dinu - thanks for the photos
Though I guess mounting it on that sliding cover also means you give up the space inside it right?

I see you have a JVC 2 DIN system with the steering remote control - looks neat. But what is that other smaller control pod/switch, in the space under the headlamp adjuster dial?
The sliding cover still moves and is functional, only thing it does not open fully. But the opening is big enough to fully use the storage space. No issue there.
The other control pod is the dial for adjusting the bass boost of the subwoofer monobloc amplifier.
dinu2506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2012, 10:28   #412
BHPian
 
dynomite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 72
Thanked: 75 Times
Default re: OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Before you order, make sure about the Metrics.
Seems like it displays only MPH & MPG(as per the pic n site).
What you really require is KMPH & KMPL.
I checked - and for anyone else interested, the Edge Insight CTS OBD II tool can display Metric units.

I got a hold of the user manual from here. (its about 2.8MB)
Page 34 clearly mentions that you can switch units to Metric.

The manual also outlines all the features, what's included in the box, firmware upgrades and so on.
dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2012, 10:35   #413
Senior - BHPian
 
sushrutha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chikmagalur/Ban
Posts: 1,701
Thanked: 317 Times
Default re: OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynomite View Post
I checked - and for anyone else interested, the Edge Insight CTS OBD II tool can display Metric units.

I got a hold of the user manual from here. (its about 2.8MB)
Page 34 clearly mentions that you can switch units to Metric.

The manual also outlines all the features, what's included in the box, firmware upgrades and so on.
Oh good then.
Frankly $400 is way too much for that device.
I wouldn't buy one for sure.
V-checker A301 looks more VFM (almost 1/4th of the price ) when compared with the Edge-Insight.
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2012, 10:52   #414
BHPian
 
dynomite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 72
Thanked: 75 Times
Default re: OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Oh good then.
Frankly $400 is way too much for that device.
I wouldn't buy one for sure.
V-checker A301 looks more VFM (almost 1/4th of the price ) when compared with the Edge-Insight.
But then again, if one already has an iPod Touch, iPhone or iPad, you could still get a colour display, customisable gauges etc - by getting a Kiwi WiFi for $150.

I think the V-checker is VFM too - but the colour display is too good to pass up. I'm leaning towards the Kiwi Wifi tool.

Btw - did you get my PM?
dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2012, 11:06   #415
Senior - BHPian
 
sushrutha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chikmagalur/Ban
Posts: 1,701
Thanked: 317 Times
Default re: OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynomite View Post
But then again, if one already has an iPod Touch, iPhone or iPad, you could still get a colour display, customisable gauges etc - by getting a Kiwi WiFi for $150.
Rather buy the below mentioned @ $16. Same as that of KIWI, but at 1/10th of the cost.
Elm327 bluetooth,Elm327 interface,bluetooth obd2
ELM327 Bluetooth OBD-II Wireless Transceiver Dongle¨C DealExtreme Reviews
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2012, 11:15   #416
BHPian
 
dynomite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 72
Thanked: 75 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha

Rather buy the below mentioned @ $16. Same as that of KIWI, but at 1/10th of the cost.
Elm327 bluetooth,Elm327 interface,bluetooth obd2
ELM327 Bluetooth OBD-II Wireless Transceiver Dongle¨C DealExtreme Reviews
Pardon my ignorance, but isn't this tool specifically meant to be used with Windows PCs and or older mobile devices (pocket pcs) after the installation of some software?

Will this work with the apps like Rev, Fuzzycar or Dashcommand on iOS devices?
dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2012, 11:23   #417
Senior - BHPian
 
sushrutha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chikmagalur/Ban
Posts: 1,701
Thanked: 317 Times
Default re: OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynomite View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but isn't this tool specifically meant to be used with Windows PCs and or older mobile devices (pocket pcs) after the installation of some software?

Will this work with the apps like Rev, Fuzzycar or Dashcommand on iOS devices?
As per their website, it's compatible with
"Elm327 bluetooth for Andorid Mobile phone,Windows xp,Windows vista,Windows 7."
I don't have much idea about the apps you are talking about.
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2012, 11:49   #418
BHPian
 
SuperBee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 87
Thanked: 61 Times
Default re: OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars

Is OBD-2 supported on a 2003 NHC? I have one of those wired ELM327 connector which can hook up to your laptop via USB, ordered from TomTop.

Also, has anybody beem succesful in making OBD-2 work with the old Swift, the 1.3L G13BB engine.

Thanks.
SuperBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2012, 12:38   #419
BHPian
 
archat68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 603
Thanked: 130 Times
Default re: OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBee View Post
I
Also, has anybody beem succesful in making OBD-2 work with the old Swift, the 1.3L G13BB engine.

Thanks.
Doesn't work with older Swift. Works with newer ones with K series engines.
archat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2012, 14:56   #420
Senior - BHPian
 
govigov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Cochin!!!!!
Posts: 1,183
Thanked: 264 Times
Default re: OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBee View Post
Is OBD-2 supported on a 2003 NHC? I have one of those wired ELM327 connector which can hook up to your laptop via USB, ordered from TomTop.

Also, has anybody beem succesful in making OBD-2 work with the old Swift, the 1.3L G13BB engine.

Thanks.

The old swift is not compatible, however on a ritz diesel and the new swift, it is claimed to have worked.
govigov is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
On Board Diagnostics (OBD) for Dummies a4anurag Technical Stuff 34 23rd October 2016 22:37
Diagnostics, Spares, Service & Upgrades for European Cars - Euro Car Pitstop (Cochin) Games Goblin Other Cities 3 1st February 2016 13:36
TechSpec® : Understanding On-Board Diagnostics, also known as ECU, ECM, EMS dadu Technical Stuff 62 14th March 2014 15:30
Advantages of OBD 2 over OBD 1 Sprucegoose Technical Stuff 19 20th October 2009 06:44
req help with indigo sx (diesel) on board diagnostics shldn Technical Stuff 4 26th March 2006 20:11


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:52.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks