Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2014, 18:47   #931
Distinguished - BHPian
 
a4anurag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 8,385
Thanked: 9,862 Times
Default re: OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Injection "Map" changes. Not rocket science, considering how long they have been at it. ARAI figures, tailored for ARAI tracks. You and I will never manage to get those figures, since we drive on real roads. With idiotic autorickshaws and small and large goods carriers hogging the right lane, preventing you any decent length of time in higher gears.


We must demand a real-time FE testing method than testing cars for FE at tracks with no problems faced by the real-time driving.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2014, 18:57   #932
BHPian
 
devrajman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 498
Thanked: 110 Times
Default re: OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post


We must demand a real-time FE testing method than testing cars for FE at tracks with no problems faced by the real-time driving.

Anurag.
Thats can be an awesome thing.

With so many people using OBDII Readers and almost the same app, user data can be uploaded to cloud anonymously. May be some PIDs or all PIDs and Later the same data can be analyzed by Car manufacturers, new car buyers, fellow car owners, reviewers, etc. It can help a lot of sections of Automobile users. Even traffic guys can anaylse whats average speed in parts of city and use that for traffic planning or future road construction!

When i spoke to Mahindra, Suzuki, Toyota, Bosch, etc. technicians who contacted me for OBD solutions, i suggested them to embed ELM327 like device into the ECU itself. It can be password protected using integrated Headunit. But they were like, AaaaAAaaa...
devrajman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2014, 19:12   #933
Distinguished - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,063
Thanked: 2,859 Times
Default re: OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
... user data can be uploaded to cloud anonymously. ...
Err ... I thought we were talking about Fuel Consumption and Fuel Efficiency, which doesn't come directly over OBD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
... When i spoke to Mahindra, Suzuki, Toyota, Bosch, etc. technicians who contacted me for OBD solutions, ...
Oh really? With whom did you speak to at Bosch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
... i suggested them to embed ELM327 like device into the ECU itself. It can be password protected using integrated Headunit. But they were like, AaaaAAaaa...
Are you serious? I am sure they weren't!
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2014, 19:21   #934
Distinguished - BHPian
 
a4anurag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 8,385
Thanked: 9,862 Times
Default re: OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
When i spoke to Mahindra, Suzuki, Toyota, Bosch, etc. technicians who contacted me for OBD solutions, i suggested them to embed ELM327 like device into the ECU itself. It can be password protected using integrated Headunit.
Good idea, you mean that the OBD port has this ELM 327 reader plugged-in permanently?

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
But they were like, AaaaAAaaa...


Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2014, 19:28   #935
BHPian
 
devrajman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 498
Thanked: 110 Times
Default re: OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Err ... I thought we were talking about Fuel Consumption and Fuel Efficiency, which doesn't come directly over OBD?

Oh really? With whom did you speak to at Bosch?

Are you serious? I am sure they weren't!
Im talking much more than just fuel efficiency and consumption. I mean complete data of the car is available on cloud. People with particuar interest will look at particular data. Efficiency is calculated by App, and the same app can upload information.

Multiple folks from Bosch. Even visited their office!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Good idea, you mean that the OBD port has this ELM 327 reader plugged-in permanently?





Anurag.
Nope, Like ECU, they can have this simple logic too on ECU board. OBD Port is free for other use. So every car out of showroom has connectivity to phones/tablets.
devrajman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2014, 19:53   #936
BHPian
 
BenjiRoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Tamilnadu
Posts: 513
Thanked: 40 Times
Default re: OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post


To reply to your query, Im into this from years and its my store on ebay, there are many variety and each one is different price.
You have quite a few obd2 stuff on your eBay store. I'm looking for one that is stable and does not drain the battery - also easy to remove as I don't want to keep it on overnight in case it drains the battery. Which one do you suggest for my xcent. Planning to order one today.
BenjiRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2014, 20:05   #937
Distinguished - BHPian
 
a4anurag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 8,385
Thanked: 9,862 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
You have quite a few obd2 stuff on your eBay store. I'm looking for one that is stable and does not drain the battery - also easy to remove as I don't want to keep it on overnight in case it drains the battery. Which one do you suggest for my xcent. Planning to order one today.
The link of OBD reader that you see in Dev's Ebay link does not drain battery that should make the car dead (read battery). These OBD readers consume very low power.

I am not sure how stable or good they are but there is a ELM 327 reader with ON/OFF button, check those once.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2014, 20:22   #938
BHPian
 
devrajman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 498
Thanked: 110 Times
Default re: OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
You have quite a few obd2 stuff on your eBay store. I'm looking for one that is stable and does not drain the battery - also easy to remove as I don't want to keep it on overnight in case it drains the battery. Which one do you suggest for my xcent. Planning to order one today.
You can go VGate iCAR 2 Bluetooth, its better quality & much stable performance and has auto sleep which works flawless!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
The link of OBD reader that you see in Dev's Ebay link does not drain battery that should make the car dead (read battery). These OBD readers consume very low power.

I am not sure how stable or good they are but there is a ELM 327 reader with ON/OFF button, check those once.

Anurag.
Hope you meant "shouldnt make your car dead"
devrajman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2014, 20:29   #939
BHPian
 
BenjiRoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Tamilnadu
Posts: 513
Thanked: 40 Times
Default re: OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
You can go VGate iCAR 2 Bluetooth, its better quality & much stable performance and has auto sleep which works flawless!
Looks like they are more expensive - almost 2000Rs.
BenjiRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2014, 20:37   #940
Distinguished - BHPian
 
a4anurag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 8,385
Thanked: 9,862 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post

Hope you meant "shouldnt make your car dead"
Sorry for the typo and thanks for correction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post

Looks like they are more expensive - almost 2000Rs.
Obviously buddy, quality and features come at a price.

To be frank, the OBD reader that I use hasn't shown any problem in 4 years.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2014, 01:51   #941
BHPian
 
VinodDevil81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: KL
Posts: 140
Thanked: 84 Times
Default re: OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
I'm looking for one that is stable and does not drain the battery - also easy to remove as I don't want to keep it on overnight in case it drains the battery. Which one do you suggest for my xcent. Planning to order one today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

I am not sure how stable or good they are but there is a ELM 327 reader with ON/OFF button, check those once.

Anurag.

In fact, I also wanted one with a power-button and so a few days back,I ordered & got one of these ELM 327 readers with an ON/OFF button.

It works fine with torque pro & fun2drive.I am satisfied with the product. I have kept it permanently plugged-in to the obd-port, with the power button switched off when not needed.

I feel that this is of better build quality than the usual blue ELM and Mini ELM readers.

The power button is a really useful add-on.Now I won't have to suspect the poor thing about battery draining issues. Though it may consume only negligible power if kept switched on permanently, yet it gives some peace of mind, when you are able to switch it off.

(Photos courtesy : ebay seller)
Attached Images
     

Last edited by VinodDevil81 : 11th June 2014 at 01:58.
VinodDevil81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2014, 11:19   #942
Distinguished - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,063
Thanked: 2,859 Times
Default re: OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
... Multiple folks from Bosch. Even visited their office! ...
It would be interesting to know whom you met. Not a trivial subject, so it would be good to separate grain from chaff.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2014, 11:36   #943
BHPian
 
lapis_lazuli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Zilla Ghaziabad
Posts: 413
Thanked: 398 Times
Default re: OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
i suggested them to embed ELM327 like device into the ECU itself. It can be password protected using integrated Headunit. But they were like, AaaaAAaaa...
While OBD itself was chalked out in detail, over many years, implementing an OBD reader, with known protocols, or a "ELM327 like device" with ANY modern, very low cost 32 bit micro-controllers (read ARM Cortex M series, the PIC18x, or even 8 bit MCUs, is really no remarkable task.

Many such controllers, have dedicated CAN peripherals mapped with the UART inside. A class X student with reasonable proficiency in C programming can do it in a weeks time, if he had the interest and access to any of the numerous sub 1k inr micro-controller kits in the market. Why would Bosch developers go Aaaa , in implementing such a trivial feature?? Or did they feel it wasn't worth doing it?

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 11th June 2014 at 11:38.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2014, 12:03   #944
BHPian
 
devrajman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 498
Thanked: 110 Times
Default re: OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
While OBD itself was chalked out in detail, over many years, implementing an OBD reader, with known protocols, or a "ELM327 like device" with ANY modern, very low cost 32 bit micro-controllers (read ARM Cortex M series, the PIC18x, or even 8 bit MCUs, is really no remarkable task.

Many such controllers, have dedicated CAN peripherals mapped with the UART inside. A class X student with reasonable proficiency in C programming can do it in a weeks time, if he had the interest and access to any of the numerous sub 1k inr micro-controller kits in the market. Why would Bosch developers go Aaaa , in implementing such a trivial feature?? Or did they feel it wasn't worth doing it?
I understand the point you are trying to make. However there is huge difference between executing-to-make-it-work and company-long-term-vision-on-feature-then-formal-production-cycle! Mostly latter decision happens tops-down and not bottoms-up (like the guys I met or interacted)

Its like giving a suggestion to Airtel or any call center representative on how to handle some issue and expecting it to be implemented next day as its too simple to do it.

Last edited by devrajman : 11th June 2014 at 12:04.
devrajman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2014, 12:17   #945
BHPian
 
nick17s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 527
Thanked: 86 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default re: OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars

wont these kind of products, make fire incidents in new cars ?
nick17s is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
On Board Diagnostics (OBD) for Dummies a4anurag Technical Stuff 34 23rd October 2016 22:37
Diagnostics, Spares, Service & Upgrades for European Cars - Euro Car Pitstop (Cochin) Games Goblin Other Cities 3 1st February 2016 13:36
TechSpec® : Understanding On-Board Diagnostics, also known as ECU, ECM, EMS dadu Technical Stuff 62 14th March 2014 15:30
Advantages of OBD 2 over OBD 1 Sprucegoose Technical Stuff 19 20th October 2009 06:44
req help with indigo sx (diesel) on board diagnostics shldn Technical Stuff 4 26th March 2006 20:11


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:01.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks