Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2014, 15:09   #976
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,548
Thanked: 4,525 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
While it seems feasible theoretically, in practice the toothed wheel mounted on the wheel (whose teeth the sensor senses) prevents the buildup.

Oh, it happens in real life, trust me. More often to your point a bad connection, but I ve experienced a few of these. Especially after a heavy built up of mud and or snow with some gravel in it. Car stops overnight, things seize up, freeze up and the next thing when you drive of in the morning, you have a problem. Very often misdiagnosed as a problem with the mud/snow. So they scrape of the mud/snow. Same problems persists, so they replace the sensor and whilst doing that actually fix the mounting problem because they will actually position the sensor with an appropriate gap. Very often nothing wrong with the sensor. Just has been displaced a bit and the gap has increased beyond what it can handle,

In fact there are patents out there on the way the sensor get supported/mounted to prevent this from happening.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2014, 17:04   #977
Distinguished - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,063
Thanked: 2,859 Times
Default re: OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
... Especially after a heavy built up of mud and or snow with some gravel in it. ...
LOL Living in cities, where such things are unlikely to happen, sort of gives us the divine right to be blissfully ignorant of such things, and mercifully avoid analysis paralysis!
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2014, 23:20   #978
BHPian
 
TheQuarterMile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 86
Thanked: 42 Times
Default re: OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars

Can anyone tell me what is the difference between these two models and which one to buy?

http://www.ebay.in/itm/SuperMini-ELM...3a3ef34&_uhb=1


http://www.ebay.in/itm/Android-VGate...cac88ad&_uhb=1

And also if any BHPian has a store on eBay can link me to it. Always good to support a fellow member

Last edited by TheQuarterMile : 29th July 2014 at 23:24.
TheQuarterMile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2014, 03:55   #979
Senior - BHPian
 
el lobo 6061's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 1,454
Thanked: 932 Times
Default re: OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheQuarterMile View Post
Can anyone tell me what is the difference between these two models and which one to buy?

http://www.ebay.in/itm/SuperMini-ELM...3a3ef34&_uhb=1
Get the supermini, as it is smaller in size. Both of them have same function, just the difference in size.
el lobo 6061 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2014, 06:44   #980
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 16
Thanked: 65 Times
Default re: OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars

This is a company in the United states whose product will give you a good idea about what OBD can actually do.

https://www.automatic.com/

I hope they make this available in India soon.
kenneyjacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2014, 07:28   #981
Distinguished - BHPian
 
a4anurag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 8,374
Thanked: 9,810 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheQuarterMile View Post
Can anyone tell me what is the difference between these two models and which one to buy?

And also if any BHPian has a store on eBay can link me to it. Always good to support a fellow member
BHPian el lobo 6161 has answered your first query.

Here is the answer for the second one:

Find the below link to a BHPian's store and the item.

http://m.ebay.in/itm?itemId=161165289900

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2014, 14:36   #982
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 180
Thanked: 18 Times
Default re: OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
BHPian el lobo 6161 has answered your first query.

Here is the answer for the second one:

Find the below link to a BHPian's store and the item.

http://m.ebay.in/itm?itemId=161165289900

Anurag.
Will this work for Tata Safari Dicor 2.2?
mandyrana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2014, 15:18   #983
Distinguished - BHPian
 
a4anurag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 8,374
Thanked: 9,810 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyrana View Post

Will this work for Tata Safari Dicor 2.2?
When was it manufactured? Post 2009 ones it may work.

Anyrag.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2014, 16:39   #984
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,605
Thanked: 14,877 Times
Default re: OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyrana View Post
Will this work for Tata Safari Dicor 2.2?
I got a similar device from China, and it mostly works for Tata Safari. Atleast the stuff I need (error codes, engine temp, rail pressure).
Use fun2drive app from bosch on your android phone.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2014, 20:51   #985
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 1,016
Thanked: 1,377 Times
Default re: OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars

A friend of mine has 2008 Indica Petrol - its a preowned. His car was overheating - the heating indicator gauge was about to break beyond max So he took it to the nearby FNG - they flushed the radiator with new coolant, new engine oil and the heating problem solved. But now a new problem at hand - the check engine light has come up!

I thought of helping him but need to know if the ELM 327 mini adaptor will work on his car? I have the adapter and works very well on my SX4. Not sure about if that will be compatible with his car or even his car is OBD II compliant!

Does anyone know top of their head if its worth calling him to my home and giving it a shot?

Actually, if someone has tried earlier on same model vehicle and know it doesn't work, I will avoid trying the ELM tool.
abirnale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2014, 21:04   #986
Distinguished - BHPian
 
a4anurag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 8,374
Thanked: 9,810 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post

Does anyone know top of their head if its worth calling him to my home and giving it a shot?

Actually, if someone has tried earlier on same model vehicle and know it doesn't work, I will avoid trying the ELM tool.
Since you say it is 2008 manufactured, it week be OBD 1. So it'll not work.

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2014, 01:42   #987
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian
 
RSR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,467
Thanked: 3,423 Times
Default re: OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
A friend of mine has 2008 Indica Petrol - its a preowned. His car was overheating - the heating indicator gauge was about to break beyond max So he took it to the nearby FNG - they flushed the radiator with new coolant, new engine oil and the heating problem solved. But now a new problem at hand - the check engine light has come up!

I thought of helping him but need to know if the ELM 327 mini adaptor will work on his car? I have the adapter and works very well on my SX4. Not sure about if that will be compatible with his car or even his car is OBD II compliant!
If it is a petrol Indica manufactured in 2008, then it is certainly OBD-II compliant. The protocol used is ISO 14230 KWP2000 (Keyword Protocol 2000). My earlier 2007 petrol Indica 1.2 Xeta uses this protocol, so it should be the same in your friend's car. The connector is located below the front passenger seat, and it may or may not have a plastic cover.

However, I have no idea if the ELM 327 mini adaptor will work or not, as I have not used it.

Last edited by RSR : 3rd August 2014 at 01:46.
RSR is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2014, 07:33   #988
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 1,016
Thanked: 1,377 Times
Default

Thanks RSR!

I just tried the mini ELM adapter and it worked! As you said the port was under the passenger seat. The fault code was decoded to be faulty sensors for radiator temperature. There was another code too - P0000. But no details. Upon lookup I did not find anything on it. So I assume it was because of the earlier code may be. Could that be?

Since I think the problem is sighted, next course of action suggested is to visit Bosch or similar reliable service center and get the sensors inspected, checked or replaced as needed.

I was tempting to clear the error codes and try through fun2drive app again. But then thought of not fiddling with it myself but a competent mechanic!

Thanks for the help!
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2014, 07:55   #989
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian
 
RSR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,467
Thanked: 3,423 Times
Default re: OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Thanks RSR!

I just tried the mini ELM adapter and it worked! As you said the port was under the passenger seat. The fault code was decoded to be faulty sensors for radiator temperature. There was another code too - P0000. But no details. Upon lookup I did not find anything on it. So I assume it was because of the earlier code may be. Could that be?

I was tempting to clear the error codes and try through fun2drive app again. But then thought of not fiddling with it myself but a competent mechanic!
You're welcome!

According to this site, P0000 stands for "No trouble code":

http://www.outilsobdfacile.com/data-...-code-obd2.php

There is absolutely no harm in clearing the error code(s), after noting it/them down. If the fault persists, the check engine light would most certainly glow again, and the same error code(s) would show up on diagnosis.

On the other hand, if the code was set because of the heating problem, and if this was sorted out successfully, the check engine light would not glow again, but only if everything is working fine.

In any case, I think the check engine light should stop glowing if the fault doesn't re-occur. So I believe the appropriate sensors do need to be inspected.

Last edited by RSR : 3rd August 2014 at 08:03.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2014, 10:45   #990
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,605
Thanked: 14,877 Times
Default re: OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Thanks RSR!

I just tried the mini ELM adapter and it worked! As you said the port was under the passenger seat. The fault code was decoded to be faulty sensors for radiator temperature. There was another code too - P0000. But no details. Upon lookup I did not find anything on it. So I assume it was because of the earlier code may be. Could that be?

Since I think the problem is sighted, next course of action suggested is to visit Bosch or similar reliable service center and get the sensors inspected, checked or replaced as needed.

I was tempting to clear the error codes and try through fun2drive app again. But then thought of not fiddling with it myself but a competent mechanic!

Thanks for the help!
The thermostat needs to be changed. This is a typical indica problem. However, if it still comes, after the thermostat and sensors change, it means that the car is still overheating, but not by much.
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
On Board Diagnostics (OBD) for Dummies a4anurag Technical Stuff 34 23rd October 2016 22:37
Diagnostics, Spares, Service & Upgrades for European Cars - Euro Car Pitstop (Cochin) Games Goblin Other Cities 3 1st February 2016 13:36
TechSpec® : Understanding On-Board Diagnostics, also known as ECU, ECM, EMS dadu Technical Stuff 62 14th March 2014 15:30
Advantages of OBD 2 over OBD 1 Sprucegoose Technical Stuff 19 20th October 2009 06:44
req help with indigo sx (diesel) on board diagnostics shldn Technical Stuff 4 26th March 2006 20:11


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:56.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks