Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 7th September 2008, 21:58   #166
BHPian

Default Using Extra Premium Petrol in Corolla

Hello:

I was told by the salesman at the Toyota showroom that i should avoid using extra premium petrol in the car and use the normal petrol as it may damage the engine, have not had the chance to get a technical opinion on this. Is there any truth in this?...any problems in using the higher end petrol in the car?

Thanks
Varghese
varghesepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2008, 11:41   #167
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by varghesepaul View Post
Hello:

I was told by the salesman at the Toyota showroom that i should avoid using extra premium petrol in the car and use the normal petrol as it may damage the engine, have not had the chance to get a technical opinion on this. Is there any truth in this?...any problems in using the higher end petrol in the car?

Thanks
Varghese
Hi Varghese, the salesman is correct. Premium fuels are nothing but a marketing gimmick and offer no real benefit. In fact, some manufacturers strictly prohibit using these so-called premium fuels. There have also been some cases where the fuel pump was damaged and the manufacturer did not honour a warranty claim as premium fuel was used.

Stick to *genuine* regular petrol and you should be all set. Remember, the key words are genuine unadulterated fuel.

Last edited by GTO : 8th September 2008 at 11:42.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2008, 11:58   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Hi Varghese, the salesman is correct. Premium fuels are nothing but a marketing gimmick and offer no real benefit. In fact, some manufacturers strictly prohibit using these so-called premium fuels. There have also been some cases where the fuel pump was damaged and the manufacturer did not honour a warranty claim as premium fuel was used.

Stick to *genuine* regular petrol and you should be all set. Remember, the key words are genuine unadulterated fuel.
Hi,GTO

Same case for diesels as well?? Using Premium diesel in Todays diesel engine's not recommended?
noidaboy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2008, 12:00   #169
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by noidaboy View Post
Hi,GTO

Same case for diesels as well?? Using Premium diesel in Todays diesel engine's not recommended?
Absolutely NOT! Pure regular diesel is superior to any of the premium diesels.
Old 8th September 2008, 12:11   #170
BHPian

I use Speed or Power because the Owner's Manual of my car (Fiat Adventure) recommends 91 Octane petrol. I may be incorrect but I understood that Speed and Power are 91 Octane Fuel.

If the premium fuels are not 91 Octane, what should I do to use 91 Otane fuel as recommended in the Owner's Manual? Octane boosters?

Thanks
Anant
akbaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2008, 14:58   #171
BHPian

Two important things, I just came to know

1. The Octane rating of the fuel you take from any petrol bunk in Bangalore and a petrol bunk in Hubli (an example) can be different. Even if you are taking petrol from the same retailer.

2. The Octane rating would be same for normal petrol and Xtra Premium. It rather depends on the region it is sold.

I have written an email to various petrol retailers. The below is the response I got from IOC.

My email:

I am interested in knowing the RON rating of the fuels (Normal Petrol and Xtra Premium) sold by IOC in Bangalore.

Your website has a specification guide but it only tells the requirement for different BS II and BS III engines.

Thanks,
Anant

Response:

Dear Mr Anant

The RON for XTRAPREMIUM and normal Petrol being sold in a particular market is always the same.

However, we are currently marketing Petrol with RON - 87 and 91 depending upon the locations.

In Bangalore - petrol should conform to BS specs with RON being 91 (min).

akbaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2008, 22:37   #172
BHPian

Default Thanks

Thanks GTO for the advice, am glad i asked and got this clarified, will stick to normal petrol.

Thanks
varghesepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 18:20   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Varghese, the salesman is correct. Premium fuels are nothing but a marketing gimmick and offer no real benefit. In fact, some manufacturers strictly prohibit using these so-called premium fuels.

genuine unadulterated fuel :- very important.

Opel at least in the old astra HIGHLY recommends premium fuel with additives .
As far as I know Shell V Power is one of the "best" fuels available and contains 7 times more additives aka detergents than most other fuels.

So -depending on what you drive - I dont agree at all with "Premium fuels are nothing but a marketing gimmick and offer no real benefit."
cyneverdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 18:54   #174
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Opel at least in the old astra HIGHLY recommends premium fuel with additives .
Well, Opel really isn't around to quantify their statement is it? And for the record, they didn't recommend premium fuels. What they did recommend was System G + regular fuel.

I don't know of a single manufacturer that recommends premium fuel.
Old 10th September 2008, 18:57   #175
Senior - BHPian

with GTO here no indian manufacturer will put it in their manuals to use premium fuel, they just specify the fuel standard based on engine i.e. BSII/ III standards.

On the contrary same manufacturer does specify that outside of india for their various models.

Quote:
Well, Opel really isn't around to quantify their statement is it? And for the record, they didn't recommend premium fuels. What they did recommend was System G + regular fuel.

dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 19:54   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Well, atleast 2 Hyundai A.S.S. in Delhi strongly recommended premium fuels for Santro in 2003 and I found knocking problem (at low rpm, high gear) improving with Xtrapremium or Speed. But maybe that was more due to quality of regular fuel at that time.
For my Lancer, I always used Xtrapremium, Speed or Shell Super (unless the odd fill on highways). I have never faced any problems but can't say for sure if this was better than regular fuel ...
lancer_rit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 20:06   #177
BHPian

OK, well what about the Octane ratings?

My Galant in the states can't run 87, BMW USA suggested I use 93 octane...

I use only high octane fuel in my BMW here in India as I've experience knocking with the regular fuel...

In India, what would a poor soul using say a BMW M3 do? You'd have to use 97, and the SPEED 97 or whatever has additives...So should he then use the regular fuel sans additives? [What's that 87 or 89?]
(I know this is a special case but I guess my arguement is that we don't have high octane fuels without additives...So aren't we kinda stuck?)
DocG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2008, 20:40   #178
Senior - BHPian

I think the simplest thing to do is to put a sticker on the car, reccomending what kind of fuel is to be used.

I have used premium deisel in my Octavia off & on - but now stick to normal deisel, as the service station once said something to the effect, so who wants to take chances ? Not me.

Similarly for my other cars I stick with standard fuel - as every other car manufacturer seems to have one issue or another with premium fuel - weird but true.

Premium fuel used off & on does no harm, as I have done that on various occasions.

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 10th September 2008 at 20:42.
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2008, 02:34   #179
BHPian

Quote:

Today an old astra of ours " broke down " its at the National garage now - I say dirty fuel tank ; I have nothing to do with the car but happened to be behind it when it did judder and die . Eventually got it started & home with my right foot , but I read the manual and I am damn sure I read premium fuel encouraged type thing will check and scan if I am right or will let you know if I am wrong .

cheers

PS : Dont need to say more expect for check this out

Shell V-Power - Overview - United Kingdom

Go through the site it's nice and you will see them say that this will give you the ride of your life on ANY car or bike designed for unleaded fuel {lead fuel engines too but plus additive}

If this premium fuel was available would you use it in a nice modern car?
I definately would and mind you it sells at 91 octane in alot of places abroad.
Check the site out .

cheers man

Last edited by cyneverdie : 11th September 2008 at 02:37.
cyneverdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2008, 13:16   #180
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
OK, well what about the Octane ratings? I use only high octane fuel in my BMW here in India as I've experience knocking with the regular fuel...
Yup, high-compression cars work optimally only on high-octane petrol. Heck, even my Vtec runs better. No choice here and unfortunately, our fuel companies bundle it with additives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyneverdie View Post
Today an old astra of ours " broke down " its at the National garage now - I say dirty fuel tank
A dirty fuel tank is not a component of whether the fuel was premium or not. It has to do with the purity levels.

Quote:
but I read the manual and I am damn sure I read premium fuel encouraged type thing will check and scan
Sure thing. Opel anyways was an exception; they required the car to run on SystemG + regular petrol. Says a lot of how much the car was localised to our conditions.

Let's talk of the current breed of localised cars. They will run just as well on regular petrol / diesel (except for some high-compression engines).

Quote:
Go through the site it's nice and you will see them say that this will give you the ride of your life on ANY car or bike designed for unleaded fuel {lead fuel engines too but plus additive}
Do you blindly believe any marketing material that is dished out to you? After all, the company would say that, right? Suggestion : Don't.