Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 19th September 2008, 20:19   #196
BHPian

Anyway i noticed in my santro before that at high speeds, premium fuels like speed had the engine running smoother and less noisy. City cruising makes no difference though. If we cross 100KMPH in santro with normal petrol, the engine noise is pronounced, which is nil with reliance/speed petrol. We have a zen mpfi with only speed petrol used so far(this is because my dad had a notion that speed petrol is good for engine) and it has not harmed it anyway
MuzzledMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2008, 21:04   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel12345 View Post
First time on Team BHP, that someone said that more speed and power keeps an engine clean.
Neel, it is a manner of speaking.
And yes, in a strange way, that is true!
No one is advising reckless speeding, but an engine NEEDS to be revved to high levels every so often to clear out the internals! It stays 'cleaner'!
Sorry if you haven't heard it before!

In fact the 'healthy' operating range for an engine is typically 80 to 85% of rated rpm and BHP.

Last edited by anupmathur : 19th September 2008 at 21:06.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2008, 14:28   #198
BHPian

No offenses to both Arun and Anup, but can you guys explain me this thing clearly that why will the engine remain clean if we rev it up. If we need to rev up the engine to keep it clean, in other words we are cleaning the engine, but simultaneously we are decreasing the longevity of the engine. There is no doubt to the fact that revving up an engine decreases it's longevity..

"And yes, in a strange way, that is true!
No one is advising reckless speeding, but an engine NEEDS to be revved to high levels every so often to clear out the internals! It stays 'cleaner'!
Sorry if you haven't heard it before!"

I really haven't heard this before. An engine NEEDS to be revved up to keep the "internals" clean ? I doubt this. Can you show me any text or something like that which supports your point ?
neel12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2008, 19:00   #199
BHPian

I use Speed for both my car (Hyundai accent GLS 1.6) and bike P220. After reading this thread I am totally confused- this is not helped by the fact that some guyz in probiking advice using premium fuels and some advice against it...

Does anyone know if using petrol additives like bardahl is of any help ? Chennai's bajaj probiking service center is recommending it.

What do you guyz suggest- premium with/without bardahl or normal fuel with/without bardahl ?

I threw away the bardahl can and dint read what it was, I assumed it is octane booster. Anyone knows what bajaj service uses (bardahl have a couple of products for petrol engines listed on their site) ?
sathish81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2008, 21:02   #200
BHPian

Quote:
No offenses to both Arun and Anup, but can you guys explain me this thing clearly that why will the engine remain clean if we rev it up. If we need to rev up the engine to keep it clean, in other words we are cleaning the engine, but simultaneously we are decreasing the longevity of the engine. There is no doubt to the fact that revving up an engine decreases it's longevity..

I really haven't heard this before. An engine NEEDS to be revved up to keep the "internals" clean ? I doubt this. Can you show me any text or something like that which supports your point ?

It's very very very true , surprised you haven't heard that yet !
Use google man.
Besides anyone who redlines often wouldn't be the type to worry about engine life especially with synthetic oil.
cheers man
cyneverdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2008, 03:39   #201

Talking

Quote:

Neel, cool down. I believe Arun is talking about BP "Speed" and HP "Power" Branded petrol. I hope you still have your hair intact even after so much scratching Just kidding.

Folks, my personal experience with IOC Xtra Premium has been most pleasant on my Pulsar 150, Esteem 1996, 1998 and BS III (essentially all versions). Engine runs smoother, far better cold start on my Pulsar and smoother operation on both the car and the bike.

Only difference I have noticed is that Xtra Premium do not want to be consumed lesiurely as it gives sludge deposites soon if you do not use it for more than 2 months (I am not sure what will happen to "pure" unleaded petrol though). This could be the reason behind few of us loosing fuel pumps or cleaning the injectors.

Does anyone has an experience of keeping petrol for more than 2 month and noticed sludge formation?

I would appreciate your inputs on this, thanks.

Prankey
prankey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2008, 16:04   #202
BHPian

I was browsing throught Chennai ford site and this is what they say in the tips section "Always use premium fuel where available (e.g. ‘Speed’ of Bharat Petroleum)." .Welcome to CHENNAI FORD .com. So i dont think filling Premium petrol in ford cars would be an issue
mail4loys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2008, 17:10   #203
Senior - BHPian

Tata ASC's have been known to discourage premium fuels. I use regular + system D, which works just as fine , and works out cheaper
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2008, 17:40   #204
BHPian

Hi,

My experience with high Octane fuel for my Palio S10 has been very positive. It all depends upon the engine, if it can make that difference or not. I am not really sure if this high octane fuels make difference in old Carburetor engines.

Cars with ECU, have ability to learn the octane levels of fuel. Some time car acts weired if we change the type of the fuel.

My car delivers better efficiency by 10% and better drive quality upto 15%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prankey View Post
Only difference I have noticed is that Xtra Premium do not want to be consumed lesiurely as it gives sludge deposites soon if you do not use it for more than 2 months (I am not sure what will happen to "pure" unleaded petrol though). This could be the reason behind few of us loosing fuel pumps or cleaning the injectors.

Does anyone has an experience of keeping petrol for more than 2 month and noticed sludge formation?

I would appreciate your inputs on this, thanks.

Prankey
The above mentioned behavior is common with all kinds of fossil fuels. If it is store for long duration in tanks, it might loose some of the components and might perform bad. Can spoil quality of ride and what not.

For the same reason. we need to fill in only the amount which we will consume in 10 days.

One who takes car once in 10 days should have to fill in fresh fuel every time. no matter he will just fill 2 litres in it. Never fill it up full tank and use it once in 10 days.

Tank full is only suggested to be consumed in a month. Not to be kept for longer than that.

One who own alternate fuel. This point is very important. Never fill tank, and keep it running for months. Just keep 5-10 litres, and keep filling in fresh fuel every now and then in small portions.

I am sure this will make the car feel better. This practice should be compulsory for ECU based MPFI's.
naveen.kk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2008, 17:42   #205
BHPian

Me too. My 1.6 Ikon's been on a diet of HP Power since the car was new. Never experienced any issues, but to be honest, never experienced any benefits either.
Once the current tank is down to 1/4 levels (another 75km or so) I think I'm going to be switching to regular HP fuel for a while. Will monitor the engine smoothness and responsiveness to see if there's any negative effects.

My new Swift Diesel has been on a diet of regular HP diesel because I did some research on TBHP and learned that during the running-in period it's advisable NOT to use premium diesel anyway, since the engine needs the extra friction to get bedded in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Forgot to add - Ford also recommends Normal Petrol (87 Octane) only for the Ikon. Have always been using Speed and in between used 93 Octane and 97 Octane too quite regularly, no issues. The car is running great after nearly 4.5 years.
ghostrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2008, 23:26   #206
BHPian

hyundai strictly opposes the use of premium fuels.
live2drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2008, 23:27   #207
BHPian

can anybody throw some more light on System D or some other fuel additives!!
live2drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2008, 11:35   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2drive View Post
can anybody throw some more light on System D or some other fuel additives!!
look no further

Use the search
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2008, 19:02   #209
BHPian

My swift petrol never liked sipping (ok, make that gulping!) Power/Speed. Always a slight hesitation and shudder before accelerating. I wasn't getting higher mileage too. So, end of premium fuel usage for me.

The one positive - the engine noise was noticeably lower at 120-130 kmph cruising.
d_himan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2011, 23:53   #210
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Do premium fuels harm engines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Absolutely NOT! Pure regular diesel is superior to any of the premium diesels.
(Suppose) If I use 10 tankful of fuel a month, would topping up once with the premium fuel help? I heard, it has some cleansing properties. Is there some truth in it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I don't know of a single manufacturer that recommends premium fuel.
While I was filling up my Car for the first time, the sales rep was around and he politely suggested to stick with normal diesel.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote