Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 31st January 2007, 17:48   #16
BHPian

well even for the fiesta petrol they recommend normal petrol with system G
yogi1771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2007, 18:03   #17
BHPian

I own a Hyundai Getz. The manual recommends premium fuels with additives. The premium fuels are available in 2 octane ratings. I use normal Speed or Power. No issues experienced.

Similarly, in my earlier car M-800, used normal fuel initially. Started using speed and power when they were introduced. used it for 2-3 years without any problems till I sold my car.
risga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2007, 11:30   #18
BHPian

well,looks like most manufacturers are against the use of premium fuels.i was shocked even mercedes was aginst high octane fuels.could this be because foriegn cars are detuned to run on our poor fuel quality?because most cars that are launched here will be running on higher octane fuels in foriegn countries.

sreenivass,maxbhp told me the tvs service centre in coimbatore strictly advised against using premium fuel in the 1.6 engines.guess after reading everyone's opinions here,even my 1.6 will be on an 87-octane diet from now on.

[quote][well even for the fiesta petrol they recommend normal petrol with system G/QUOTE]

yogi1771,i just went through my uncle's 1.6 fiesta manual and in that it was recommended to use 91-octane fuel!!yours is the 1.4 or the 1.6?or should both use normal fuel?
carfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2007, 11:45   #19
Team-BHP Support

The manual for the Ford Ikon clearly states to use normal petrol with System G additive.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2007, 12:55   #20
BHPian

Honda also recommends using only regular unleaded pertrol in the NHC. The unofficial reason that I got from the service centre was that the engine was tuned (eg. compression levels) to get the best performance, FE, and lowest maintenance with regular fuel.

I have been following this religiously; the only omission being once during a highway trip, I could get only extra-permium fuel on the way. Did not observe any difference in performance or FE.
goldie_malhotra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2007, 14:45   #21
Team-BHP Support

My wife has an Opel Sal 1.6 and I have an Octy RS. We both use only SPEED 97. None of us have faced any problems. Should we stop using SPEED 97 and switch to a regular fuel?
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2007, 14:57   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
My wife has an Opel Sal 1.6 and I have an Octy RS. We both use only SPEED 97. None of us have faced any problems. Should we stop using SPEED 97 and switch to a regular fuel?
I think, RS requires Octane 91. Please check with the owner's manual. For Sail 1.6, regular fuel should be fine. If the car is tuned for lower octane fuel, using higher octane seems to be only waste of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
When he asked the service supervisor, he was told that it had mostly failed because of using premium diesel with additives. (He was always using Turbojet diesel). The service supervisor said that Skoda motor recommends you put only regualr diesel in the car. Apparently diesel with addditives tend to leave a small residue of additives causing gumming inside the pumps. (He said)
I can be mistaken, but to me, this appears to be bull***. Additives are normally detergent based ones and their main job is to remove the residues inside engine, not to create ones. They are expected to clean up fuel injectors and not clog them. So, I am surprised that this was the reason given.

I prefer System G + unleaded over premium fuels, but they must be working in almost identical manner.
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2007, 15:25   #23
Senior - BHPian

Upfront cost-wise , using probably System G doesn't have much of an edge.
A rough calculation ..
System G costs around 1 rupee for every ml.
I'm told that the ratio to be added is 1ml for every litre.
The difference between unleaded and premium fuels are normally around Re.1.20.

Bottomline around 20p per litre savings.

Have I messed up in the calculation anywhere ?
shuvc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2007, 15:28   #24
Senior - BHPian

Have been using premium fuels in my S10 from the day I took delivery. Started off using Speed, upgraded to Speed 93 then Speed 97 when 93 was discontinued and have now settled to using IOC Xtrapremium. Haven't faced any problems till date. But now I am wondering if I should switch to normal unleaded with System G.
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2007, 15:29   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Bottomline around 20p per litre savings.
Have I messed up in the calculation anywhere ?
No, you haven't. It is just that System G gives you a piece of mind. Are you sure that the fuel filled up is really premium fuel and not regular unleaded? Are you sure that the QC at Oil refinery ensures exact proportion of additives in all batches? May be it does, but if you are using System G, you don't have to worry about it. More than cost saving, I find this part more important.
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2007, 15:33   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
No, you haven't. It is just that System G gives you a piece of mind. Are you sure that the fuel filled up is really premium fuel and not regular unleaded? Are you sure that the QC at Oil refinery ensures exact proportion of additives in all batches? May be it does, but if you are using System G, you don't have to worry about it. More than cost saving, I find this part more important.
Hmmm .. while on that topic of quality - isn't Pure for Sure Speed meant to assure clients of untampered quality ?

Another Q - Are factory owned pumps more reliable vs franchise/privately owned pumps ? I mean even normal fuel can be tampered with, isn't it ?
shuvc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2007, 15:36   #27
Senior - BHPian

Maruti Baleno's manual says that use fuel of at least 87 RON. Does that mean that one can safely use premium fuel?

Also, now in 11 cities, (Metros +7 others) the "normal fuel" is also 91 Octane to comply with BSIII. Hence most of us are already using 91 Octane. the only avantage premium fuels would have would be the presenc eof additives to clean the injectors which, theoretically, should be required only after a car has clocked some substantial mileage (say 10K upwards)
himanshugoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2007, 16:00   #28
BHPian

I have been using Power on my lancer for the last 3 years and find the mileage and performance is amazing, Infact the MPFI system is all clean and never had to get it cleaned specially...!The difference is noticeable between premium and regular petrol.

However with the XETA, when I was running her on Petrol- Power used to give me good power and performance with Lower Mileage around 10.8 and with regular around 11.9..! So When I do fill the occassional petrol I still opt for Power since, Petrol is hardly used..but its good to have a cleaning fuel in place....!
wolfinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2007, 12:31   #29
BHPian

hey guys , wht abt the OHC ,does it deliver good performance and mileage with ORDIANRY PETROL or the PREMIUM PETROL or the ordinary mixed with IFTEX or SYSTEM G.
sankeerthreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2007, 14:07   #30
Senior - BHPian

People at Honda service station also recomended me to only use normal petrol.
adya33 is offline   Reply With Quote