Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 23rd July 2007, 07:23   #76
BANNED

Exclamation Informative but confusing website!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uttamc View Post
The website has lots of information. Worth a visit. But some are too technical for me.
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2007, 10:30   #77
BHPian

My experience with my Accent -- Hyundai service station guys warned me about filling premium fuels as it can lead to damage to the fuel pump. But on 2 occasions i waivered and topped up with speed, and the fuel pump died on the 2nd occasion.
Have not done the autopsy of the failed pump, but till day have religiously kept safe distance from premium fuels.
xbox360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2007, 11:20   #78
Team-BHP Support

Checking out Shell Diesel right now, Shell says it had additives inside.

Good part is i feel the car is lil more responsive, but this also can be due to the fact that i shifted from diesel from Palghat, kerala (IOC) to that from bangalore (Shell). I always felt fuel in Bangalore gave the car a wee bit of more energy. The smoke residue is even lesser with Shell, tail pipe is too clean
Bad part, as mentioned by others, the pitter patter (AT COLD IDLE) is more, and i have a feeling FE is less.

Anyways done some 100 kms so fa,r and next fill up when needle reaches 1/4th mark. Dont see myself driving "off" my regular route to get Shell Diesel for now, maybe it will be used occasionally for some clean up
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2007, 11:27   #79
BANNED

Folks,
This is scary!
As such i have a FE drop after service(Service guys don't have a clue why) and from the day one( 1.75 yrs and 22k kms ) have never filled anything other than Turbojet for my Scorpio crde.
After reading this will shift to ordinary.I only hope it is back to normal(12.75 on highways and 11.5 in city) FE.
PRADEEP KUMAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2007, 11:47   #80
Senior - BHPian

I know this is an old and ongoing discussion. Here is what I heard from my friend in Kerala who has a UNO and a Fiesta diesel. His UNO ran for more than 110000 on normal diesel. After that based on a mech's feedback, he changed to IOC, premuim diesel.

Believe me, after 130000kms, his engined started to showup and it was diagnosed with highly worn out components. The diagnosis from Fiat TVS was premium fuel. UNO was not designed to run on them. What I am amazed is the short span of 20000kms that did the damage.

Now the irony, he uses only premium diesel in his fiesta and it has run close to 40000kms. No issues.

Summing up......I think its more to do with the engine construction, component quality and manufacturers specs to use or not to use premium fuel. One such example is use of high quality denso injectors in Maruti which can take the even highly adultered fuel and run for long without getting gummed up.

Last edited by mail4ajo : 23rd July 2007 at 11:49.
mail4ajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2007, 11:52   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Ive heard that the normal regular petrol is 89 Octane. Can confirm tomorrow after I ask one of my friends who owns a pump.

Any Updates V-16??? I seriously think normal IOC fuel if 91 octane. maybe that why they are not mentioning it clearly anywhere. Otherwise no one would buy the Xtra Premium Brand.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2007, 12:13   #82
Team-BHP Support

IOC regular is 89 and Premium is 91 octane, as sold in Bangalore
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2007, 12:13   #83
Senior - BHPian

Default IOC premium VS Shell Super

Folks 2 weeks back i tanked up at shell(Enfield 535) did find that my bike was running ruff and was very unhappy with its performance. i thought that it was due for a service but few days back i few lits of fuel at IOC (Premium) and found my bike running much better then it was earlier.

Had noticed the same in my Enfield,Machismo 350 also.

Guess will stick to IOC Premium from now on.
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2007, 12:34   #84
rks
BANNED

Bharat Petroleum's website advertises the requirements for two kinds of petrol, namely, unleaded regular and unleaded premium:

Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited- Motive Power Fuels- Petrol or Motor Spirit

The unleaded regular is required to have 88 RON (Reserach Octane Number) while the unleaded premium fuel's requirement is 93 RON. Apparently Speed is the unleaded premium fuel, so I guess BP Speed has 93 octane number. I don't think BP is selling Speed 97.

Regarding the benefits of higher octane premium fuels, see the following article:

The Hindu : Metro Plus Delhi / Wheels : On a higher octane

Quote:
The higher the compression of an engine, the higher its `octane requirement' and the more power it makes. But does it make any sense to put in higher-than-specified octane fuel into you car if your engine isn't knocking? Logically speaking, no. But real-world conditions are different. Factors like the deposits of carbon and drop in octane at petrol pumps play a role here. In fact, a number of studies have shown that cars that have done between 30,000 and 50,000 km could require additional octane, unless you decarbonize the engine regularly by using fuels like Speed and Power.

We tested fuels using a Honda City, a car with a comparatively high compression engine ratio of 10.5:1. The car was run on two types of fuels - 87 and 93 octane. As if to prove the point, the City performed much better with octane 93, 0.57 seconds quicker in a 0-100 kph run on the higher-octane fuel. Using higher-octane fuel, we also noticed that the engine fired the spark plug earlier for better power and performance.

Overall, the best way for you to ensure that your engine does not knock is to use petrol with detergents in them (like Speed and Power). This in turn lowers the engine's octane rating by clearing out a lot of carbon deposits that lead by knocking in the engine. Also a point to remember here is that the octane number requirement is reduced if you have an aluminium head, as it is a better conductor of heat and runs cooler. So the next time, remember to tank up with higher-octane fuel. It's certainly more expensive but will ensure the engine will enjoy a longer, happier innings.
rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2007, 13:19   #85
BHPian

@sankeerthreddy: I have been using Unleaded Petrol + System G in my Esteem MPFI and Normal Diesel + System D in my 2002 Indica and have noted that the FE does increase marginally with these additives.
The cars are pretty smooth (more to do with regular service intervals though) to drive. The only thing I am unsure about is any improvement in the power. But it definitely helps the FE.
The MASS guys had advised me that additives are not required but told me it's up to me, and since I feel they make a difference I use them.
lordofgondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2007, 13:23   #86
Senior - BHPian

rks. But the IOC site says that Xtra Premium is the only 91 octane fuel in india. And the 93 octane speed was branded as Speed93. The Normal speed seems to be just 88 octane fuel with additives.

Maybe as swaty said we should use our Rights to Information Act to get some data on this. But from where can we get data on this.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2007, 13:48   #87
rks
BANNED

@gemithomas, please look at BP's website that I cited in my previous post, under "Requirements for Motor Gasoline", Sr. No. 14. In this item, under "Unleaded Regular", you see a blank, whereas under "Unleaded Premium", you see "Report -- MFA used". MFA is "multifunctional fuel additives" and we can conclude that only the premium fuels (with RON specified as 93) use MFA.

If you go down to the description of Speed at the bottom of the page, it is asserted that Speed uses MFA. So I conclude that Speed must be 93 RON. I guess BP doesn't sell Speed 93 anymore, the bunks that used to sell it haven't done so for a long time; maybe because regular Speed itself is 93 RON.

Another point is the colour. The premium petrol is supposed to be red, while regular petrol is orange. Does Speed look red or orange? Haven't checked this, will do so next time.

Edit: Regarding your point about the IOC site's clam, it may be true that Xtra Premium is the only 91 octane fuel in India. Speed may be 93 RON, so it doesn't fall under this category.

Last edited by rks : 23rd July 2007 at 13:53.
Old 23rd July 2007, 14:19   #88
Senior - BHPian

Its simple: For old and small engine capacity vehicles we should use normal Fuel. For higher engine capacity vehicles and with new premium cars we can use either normal or premium fuel. With these modern cars Premium Fuel give smoothness, less noice, may be slightly better (.5kmpl extra) FE.

Regards,

Ravi.
ravibhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2007, 14:45   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swathyd View Post
Our 1.6 manual also recommends using 91 octane. But it is not the octane doing the damage but fuel addictives used to achieve that rating. There is smoothness and silence felt when using IOC x tra premium, but i think IOC normal is also smoother. But speed is not that smooth, niether is power. So dont get fooled by initial smothness, if possible try reliance or shell. And post your feedback after filling reliance. It has done wonders( almost) in my car.
Thanks Swathyd.
I shall give Reliance a try, but there seem to be no bunks in central Hyderabad.
As regards Shell, a new bunk is opening shortly near my house. So which brand of Shell should I try---normal unleaded, or premium unleaded?
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2007, 14:52   #90
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
rks. But the IOC site says that Xtra Premium is the only 91 octane fuel in india. And the 93 octane speed was branded as Speed93. The Normal speed seems to be just 88 octane fuel with additives.
What the IOC site says is that Xtra Premium is "India's first 91 Octane petrol". That may or may not amount to anything meaningful.

The BP website says the following about Speed:

Quote:
Speed is a high performance petrol produced by BPCL that enhances overall engine performance and ensures smoother driveability. Speed is blended with multifunctional performance enhancing additives. Benefits of speed are
  • Restores engine’s peak performance
  • Ensures smoother driveability
  • Reduces emissions
  • Extends catalytic converter’s life
Your point that Speed is just "88 octane fuel with additives" may be correct. But these additives are not just cleansing, but also "performance enchancing". Which will amount to an RON increase. Considering the available information from BP's website, I think we ought to conclude that normal Speed is now 93 RON.

Last edited by rks : 23rd July 2007 at 14:57.