Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 25th July 2007, 06:06   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks
Another point is the colour. The premium petrol is supposed to be red, while regular petrol is orange. Does Speed look red or orange?
Speed is having normal orange colour. I think that the additives in Speed may be colourless. Also, Speed is 91 Octane, confirmed from BP.
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2007, 10:08   #107
Senior - BHPian

So it turns out that we have been paying those extra bucks for the premium feel and the additives. I guess we are about to conform the fact that all petrols are now 91 octane.

So the question now is Do we really need those additives!!!!!!!!
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2007, 10:56   #108
Team-BHP Support

Nope not worth it though the Octane rating is.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2007, 11:32   #109
Team-BHP Support

There is a pump here that claims to sell pure, additive free, 93 Octane.
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2007, 11:52   #110
BHPian

How they alone can sell 93 octane without additives ? Is there any special arrangement between them and oil psu s that only they sell it.
swathyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2007, 11:56   #111
Team-BHP Support

It's an Indian Oil company pump. Problem is, other then sending the fuel samples to a lab for testing, how do we know what these pump owners are passing off to us is the real stuff or not? For all we know, all the pumps draw their petrol out of a common tank!
Old 25th July 2007, 12:22   #112
Senior - BHPian

RT, Don't U use Speed97 that costs 60 bucks a litre all around the country??
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2007, 12:27   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellspawn View Post
i think this data was provided in one of the magazines where they tested bikes from various segments and used all brands of fuels in them to see which fuel was better for which bike.they used a discover,p180,p150,unicorn and karizma and the results were divided into best fuel for efficiency and best fuel for power.

Hi,

I have a 99 cbz and I have been regularly using Xtra premium from the past year, the result is the bike running smoother, better pickup and better mileage. I also have a couple of my biking friends who do the same for their Karizma's and Pulsy's.

Prior to Xtrapremium, I tried Power(HP) and it was very crappy compared to Xtrapremium. I also tried Shell once and I felt that the performance dropped down, however, the mileage shot up.

I have a strong feeling that usage of premium fuels does not affect the engine performance of a bike negatively and neither have I seen the mention of any ill effects in any of the manuals or by the manufacturers.

Cheers,
Shrey
ssjr0498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2007, 12:44   #114
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
RT, Don't U use Speed97 that costs 60 bucks a litre all around the country??
Depends. When I go for rides etc, my first tankful is 97 usually. For daily riding, 91 is what I use.
Old 25th July 2007, 16:04   #115
Senior - BHPian

^^ so is there a noticable differnce in mileage or pickup compared to other fuels ?
bottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2007, 21:03   #116
BHPian

for Blaze Owners.... Never use any High Octane fuel besides the regular. I have problems nearly 4 times using speed. The Engine seizes after driving for 2 minutes. U kick the bike with all your life stil it wont start although i had use the choke. I waited for 5 minutes. Used the electric start... and pressed for nearly 5 seconds then my bike starts. I always face this problem with Speed. at first i thought it was my carb that was giving me a problem, But the dealer itself told me to use regular fuel....
nosfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2007, 22:29   #117
BHPian

Default IBP Regular mostly

Bottle

I use IBP regular more. I experienced better pickup with Shell super. FE was comparable between IBP and Shell, shell returned slightly higher FE, could also be because of better traffic during that period. Fiat suggested me use of regular without additives so stopped filling Shell super. I filled IOC regular this morning, immediately felt the starts were better.

Last edited by sreenivass : 25th July 2007 at 22:31.
sreenivass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2007, 04:30   #118
Senior - BHPian

Adulteration of Premium fuels is not as widely reported as that of the normal Fuel (thats how it is atleast in the Kolkata area). The pump nexus is so strong that you tend to beleive that thats how the car is performing. However once I had put in Fuel from Reliance pump, perceptions changed.
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2007, 11:12   #119
BHPian

Hi 1100D,

you can rely on the fuel you get from the HP petrol pump on AJC Bose Rd & Theatre Road Crossing, that pump is owned by HP itself and is fully reliable.

I used to stay right next to that pump and my family has been visiting the pump for our vehicle's for over 25yrs.

Cheers,
Shrey
ssjr0498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2007, 11:10   #120

Friends + Reddy,

In India - Normal Petrol and Diesel with a sensible fuel station identified (by owners for no adulteration) is a good choice rather than premium fuels.

Premium fuels are not recommended as the OEM's will not take any responsibility of the engine failure / pump failure (as said by Sam). In Europe, States manufacturers make a joint statements with premium fuels they recommend for their vehicle (includes bio-diesel, LNG,CNG) also bound for the warranty of failures due to fuel quality. (High sulphur, gum formation, etc., issues)

In India the question of Actual fuel quality at end of refinery Vs field/at your vehicle due to refining of various Crude oil from bombay high, cauvery, Gulf, Iran mixed treated (Bombay high crude has high sulphur for instance and other one has low sulphur). We do not have any real situation eventhough they are maintained by oil companies for specification at normal conditions* (*at elevated temperatures no body knows what happens with particular component / material)

I could share more on India fuel quality survey (as a part of my job for fuel injection component reliability) which we did in the past 2 years if someone interested write to me.

Meenakshi
meenakshi is offline   Reply With Quote